1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2014 5:13 PM by paul456

Does the supplied stock 015 BIOS normally detect/show internal HDD & External DVD drive containing a Win7 Install disk ?

paul456

I bought a DN2820FYKY in UK.  It arrived late February days before going overseas.  All I had time for was to fit a 4GB memory stick and a new Fujitsu SSHD (8GB NAND buffer) type MQ01ABF050H before travel.   Having initially left my Intel Forum Account details behind and only now have had time to consider installing a OS and drivers to use it, I gather from the posts, my unit has a non-working BIOS (its 015) that first must be updated before I can hope to install Windows 7 and that many subsequent BIOS updates suffered from various problems.  I see latest BIOS is 038.  Would I be correct in thinking 038 is what I should use for a trouble-free install ?

A further question:    At first power-up the monitor displayed "A bootable device has not been detected;.  Please refer to the Product Guide at http://suport.intel.com/suport/motherboards/desktop "

I looked in the BIOS and was a bit surprised at it not showing either the internal 2.5" HDD or the external USB DVD drive with a Windows 7 DVD inside.  (The 4GB stick showed in the 'Advanced' menu, but initial 'Basic' screen showed 'Total Memory = 0',  no sign of the supplied 7260-N miniCard in the BIOS peripherals)

I had the USB KB & Mouse connected to the 2 rear USB ports, and the DVD connected to the front USB port.

As my DN2820FYKY NUC won't recognise my USB DVD drive (my D4250WYK did recognise it) would I be correct in thinking the file FYBYT10H.86A.0038.BI.ZIP on a pendrive is what I need to update the BIOS ?

Before flashing the BIOS, I would be grateful if you can advise if the above behaviour is to be expected of the 015 BIOS, and if the internal SSHD, external DVD, & WiFi miniCard will show up in the 038 BIOS ?

• 1. Re: Does the supplied stock 015 BIOS normally detect/show internal HDD & External DVD drive containing a Win7 Install disk ?
          kevin_intel

Hi paul456,

Let me help you with this.

We have come up with many BIOS updates that contains many fixes for some issues so it would be important to update the BIOS.

If you have the original version, my best recommendation is to go one by one to the latest so we don’t brick the board.

Here you can get the BIOS updates:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProdId=3782

Kevin M

• 2. Re: Does the supplied stock 015 BIOS normally detect/show internal HDD & External DVD drive containing a Win7 Install disk ?
            paul456

Thanks for your reply.  I had already read everything on the link in your post - my only question on that being, if I download the 'DN2820FYKH driver bundle' (dated 7/1/14) - which of the drivers files does it save me downloading/installing seperately ?  - or do I just assume With it, I don't need anything else in the list of 24 files that has 'driver' in the name ?

Since my question if the file FYBYT10H.86A.0038.BI.ZIP on a pendrive is what I need to update the BIOS,  having seen that it requires me to make the Pendrive Bootable, and that process is more involved than the "A .BIO file to be used for F7 BIOS Update method or a BIOS recovery process." and not sure if I should format the pendrive as FAT32 or NTFS, I have since thought to use the simpler 'BIO' method and downloaded the file FY0038.BIO and copied that to the Pendrive - which by default is formated to FAT32.

I am confused by your statement " ...is to go one by one to the latest so we don’t brick the board".   Are you saying it is dangerous to update the BIOS directly from the existing 015  (0015.2013.1210.1722)on my kit, to the current '038' published on https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=24083&lang=eng&ProdId=3782   ?     Hopefully that doesn't require one to flash the BIOS incrementally from 016 onwards - indeed, I don't immediately see on your site where to obtain older .BIO's than the current 038.

I was going to use the instructions in Intel file 'f7biosflashupdateinstructions.pdf'' to do the BIOS update - is that correct ?

After doing that, I do hope the BIOS will detect and show both my internal SSHD and USB DVD drive mentioned in previous post - otherwise I must assume there is a fault with the NUC ?

That is why I asked if not showing either the internal 2.5" HDD or the external USB DVD drive with a Windows 7 DVD inside was normal behaviour for the (already known non-working) 015 BIOS ?

Because if the original 015 BIOS should detect & show those 2 storage devices, but mine doesn't, then isn't it pointless updating the BIOS as surely the NUC needs to be exchanged ?

Provided the 2 storage devices are detected/shown after the BIOS update, I was then planning to install a Windows 32 from the DVD drive, as that was the same good DVD drive I used to install Windows on my D4250WYK by following the instructions in your 'Intel® NUC — Operating system installation.html'.  After that, I was going to install the 'DN2820FYKH driver bundle' , followed by hopefully rest of the files in the list of 24 that seem relevant - less the drivers in the bundle.

As a further test intending a 'dry run' pending your reply, I inserted the pendrive with the FY0038.BIO into the front USB and cold-booted using F7 for BIOS Update Tool entry  - (mouse worked on other screens but not on this).  states BIOS Version 0015 is 12/10/2013.    Gives 2 options:   1:  Refresh Media List   2:  Exit Flash Update Tool.   It say after select, press Enter to select  - but nothing happens.  Only if I pick Exit does it prompt press Enter to Exit.     Doesn't that indicate the Pendrive is not detected and that therefore there will be a problem trying to update the BIOS ?      I also tried the BIOS File Explorer which showed only  fs0:\   - empty.

The Board Version reported by the BIOS is H24582-201

• 4. Re: Does the supplied stock 015 BIOS normally detect/show internal HDD & External DVD drive containing a Win7 Install disk ?
              paul456

I followed your instructions to update in ascending sequence the BIOS.  I took a few hours over that in case the BIOS needed to cool between the many flash updates.  I now have 038 BIOS which displays over a smaller screen area than before with tiny text. 

However, the internal SSHD Toshiba type MQ01ABF050H is still not detected/shown by the BIOS - in the Home page UEFI or Lagacy tabs, or in File Explorer.  As already mentioned all parts are bought new, and the assembly procedure as described in the included 'Integration Guide' sheet so straightforward, I am wondering if there is some setting I need to make before the NUC will recognise the SSHD ?   (UEFI & Legacy boxes are ticked in BOOT)

Just to cover the hardware, I did not notice any jumper settings on the SSHD to alter, so simply plugged it in with the product label facing upwards.  The SATA connector is keyed, so I assume that is the only way it can be connected.   Although the 2 cables from motherboard to the HDD bay are pre-connected, would I be correct in thinking they also are keyed to prevent incorrect connection ?     I opened the cover and withdrew the 2.5" bay again this weekend to doubly check everything was connected, and could see nothing amiss.   The drive connection is a snug fit to its connector.   It does have an unused legacy 4-pin Molex type connector to the right as viewed from the connector end; but with no jumper in sight, I assume the drive automatically takes power from the 15 pin section of the SATA connector.  Drive manufacture date is 12/11/13  and is 'Advanced Format'  The Toshiba Product page is: Toshiba Storage - MQ01ABFxxxH (MQ01ABF032H, MQ01ABF050H) - Product Detail

It contains just a Datasheet, a few photos, no installation instructions, which implies there is nothing to adjust.

To determine the location of the problem, given that there is no OS, do you have a test utility I can download and run either directly from the pendrive, or uploaded to RAM, to test the NUC SATA port and send diagnostic commands (SMART?) to the SSHD ?        I do not have a spare 2.5" HDD to try substituting.

• 5. Re: Does the supplied stock 015 BIOS normally detect/show internal HDD & External DVD drive containing a Win7 Install disk ?
                kevin_intel

At this point I regret to say there is no software with this capability available from our side but let me ask you, are these drives recognized in other systems?

If all parts are new, Check the integration is the correct one.

Kevin M

• 6. Re: Does the supplied stock 015 BIOS normally detect/show internal HDD & External DVD drive containing a Win7 Install disk ?
                  paul456

Good news. I removed the SSHD and plugged it into a SATA to USB adapter on another computer, opened Computer Management>Storage>Disk Management and the drive is detected, with the usual message for a new drive: 'Disk 1, Unknown, 465.76 GB Not Initialised'.  I then plugged it back into the NUC and it was recognised.  I must not have pushed it in far enough.  I have now installed Windows 7 32-bit, and so now want to install the underlying Intel system software.   Question on sequence:   thought best to install the 'DN2820FYKH driver bundle' first,  Is that correct ?  Is there any recommended sequence for rest of the files in the list of 24 that seem relevant - less the drivers already in the bundle ?

• 7. Re: Does the supplied stock 015 BIOS normally detect/show internal HDD & External DVD drive containing a Win7 Install disk ?
                    kevin_intel

Hi paul456,

The best step is to install the chipset driver, Management engine driver, and then the rest of drivers provided by the Computer Manufacture.

Kevin M

• 8. Re: Does the supplied stock 015 BIOS normally detect/show internal HDD & External DVD drive containing a Win7 Install disk ?
                      paul456

Thanks for that advice.  I realised on reading description of 'the bundle' it says 'not latest versions ... suggesting dl latest versions from the dl centre', so with the dl centre search Selection = DN2820FYKH, I set the filter to Win7 32bit, which reduced the list to 32 items.  From that I picked the following 10 as appearing to be required for the DN2820FYKH :

1. Wireless-N 7260BN wireless drivers W7 32bit 15 Aug 15MB : Wireless_Win7_32_17.0.6.exe

2. Wireless-N 7260BN Bluetooth drivers W7 32bit 28 July 31.1MB : BT_Win7_32_17.0.1405.02.exe (item3 -states Drivers)

3. Chipset Device Software for Intel® NUC  All Win7-8 32/64 21/7  2.33MB  INF_Win7_8_8.1_10.0.14.zip

4. Audio: Realtek ALC Audio Driver for NUC 2 July 238.34MB  AUD_Win8.1_Win8_Win7_6.0.1.7240.zip

5. USB 3.0 Driver for Intel® NUC    10 June 5.25MB   USB3_Win7_3.0.0.33.zip - has warning, so wait.

6. Embedded Media and Graphics Driver for Intel® NUC  12/5/14 95.41MB GFX_EMGD_WIN7_32_36.15.0.1073.zip & User Guide & Release Note.txt

7. HD Graphics Driver for Intel® NUC  22/5/14  74.26MB GFX_Win7_8_8.1_32_10.18.10.3621.zip

8. Intel Bluetooth software and drivers   18/9/13 0.01MB  -  how does this fit with item3 above ? ...

clking on 1 band 7260 takes one to 'Search downloads:  Wireless-N 7260' - which gives huge list but then filtered to Win7 32bit -still 18 items - 1 interesting PROSet/Wireless Sware for Bluetooth technology for Windows 7 dated 15/8/14  Ver. 17.1.1406.01 Software App.  or Next:  PROSet/Wireless Sware & Drivers for  Windows 7 dated 11/8/14  Ver. 17.0.6,... then further 2 similar choices : PROSet/Wireless Software for Bluetooth® technology for Windows 7* .."Includes driver and application software to support Intel Bluetooth® adapters."  - do I pick the 17.0.1405.02 or the 3.1.1311 - both marked as 'Latest' ?

9. Realtek* LAN Driver for Intel® NUC    5.83MB   20/2/14   LAN_Win7_7077.zip  <- for N2820 only

10. TXE: Intel® Trusted Execution Engine driver   34.39MB  20/2/14   TXE_Win7_8_8.1_1.1.0.1089.zip  N2820 only

I was confused about item 8 as it appeared to be conflicting with my item 2 above, but as Bluetooth wasn't a priority, skipped investigating the many BT options given in item 8.

Was also unable to find exactly the 'Management Engine driver' item you mention - nearest match I saw was TXE Trusted Execution Engine driver, so rather than lose a day checking with you I took a chance that was it.

In order to get the NUC into working condition, I thought to install the 2 items in your reply followed by drivers for the major functions in priority sequence:  HD Graphics Driver, Realtek ALC Audio Driver, Realtek LAN Driver ver 7077.     The Chipset and TXE claimed to have installed successfully, it restarted as advised.  But with the GPU driver I noticed the Readme states Windows7 not supported on these sku's .... Celeron N2820  ??  release date 21/5/14   Driver ver 15.33.22.3621.   Ran it anyway and got msg 'This pc does not meet the minimum req for installing the software'. (thankful it warned me)    So which GPU driver file should I dl for Win 7 32bit, and does it have any dependancies ?

At that point, I thought safer not proceed with the Audio & LAN drivers without correct video.

I later noticed on reading Detailed Description of TXE driver for N2820FY, it said one must first install Kernel Mode Driver Framework KMDF or it wont work !

With the Download Centre listing 32 items for the N2820FY Win7 32bit filter, I am surprised a list of the required install files (preferably 1 list each, for the 4 supported versions of Windows) noting any necessary install sequence (eg my not noticing TXE depended on KMDF being installed first) to fully build the N2820FYKH has not been posted on the site.    Grateful if you can guide me through this final part of the install.

Although I will want to use the Bluetooth, installing all parts of the motherboard is my priority, followed by the WiFi.

• 9. Re: Does the supplied stock 015 BIOS normally detect/show internal HDD & External DVD drive containing a Win7 Install disk ?
                        kevin_intel

Hi paul456,

Please note the most important driver you need to install is the Chipset driver in order to have all internal components properly recognized and working. After that one you can go for the Management Engine and then the rest of the drivers.

If during the installation of the graphics driver you get an error message, try the steps here:

https://communities.intel.com/docs/DOC-22542

Kevin M

• 10. Re: Does the supplied stock 015 BIOS normally detect/show internal HDD & External DVD drive containing a Win7 Install disk ?
                          paul456

You mention the 'Management Engine' again but although I told you I could not find one of that name within the  DN2820FY  Filter = Win7 32 you don't say where to find it.

In absence of a specific file list for the DN2820FYKH with Win7 32bit, think safest approach is to use the 'bundle approach' I used on the i5NUC that at least when unzipped, makes a neat clear set of subfolders for each function on the motherboard.  Having then established what the actual driver file list is and got a fully working system, I can then always search for recent updates if I want.

So in download centre DN2820FY  Filter = Win7 32 lists 24 items I clk on 6th item:   'DN2820FYKH driver bundle'  which results in 6 item list from which I select 1st item: FYKH-Win7-32bit-Driver-Bundle-Jul2014.zip < 432.07MB 1 July 2014.  As with the i5 install, it unzips into a host folder of same name, with 8 nice clear subfolders named Audio, Bluetooth, Chipset, Consumer Infrared, Graphics, LAN, USB 3.0, WiFi.    As 1 file per subfolder. it is telling me only 8 files to actually install.  - far clearer than trying to pick from the non-bundled approach,  Looking further, lets see the file ver for each of those 8:

FOLDER                     FILE IN THE 'DN2820 W7-32bit BUNDLE'           FILE I DL IN 1ST ATTEMPT

Audio                         AUD_Win7_8_8.1_6.0.1.7183.zip                          AUD_Win8.1_Win8_Win7_6.0.1.7240.zip

Bluetooth                     BT_Win7_32_17.0.1401.03,exe                          BT_Win7_32_17.0.1405.02.exe

Chipset                          INF_10.0.13_PV.zip INF_                              Win7_8_8.1_10.0.14.zip

Consumer Infrared      CIR_Win7_v5.1.0.7.zip                                         none

Graphics                          GFX_Win7_32_36.15.0.1073.zip                GFX_Win7_8_8.1_32_10.18.10.3621.zip

LAN                               LAN_Win7_7077.zip                                    <--- same

USB 3.0                     USB3_Win7_3.0.0.33.zip                                    <--- same

WiFi                          Wireless_Win7_32_17.0.3.exe                          Wireless_Win7_32_17.0.6.exe

So would seem path forward is to use all those files in 2nd column excepting the failing GFX, or 1st col were none/same/ or GFX

From this it appears I installed a slightly dated Chipset driver, and an unwanted 'TXE' not part of the necessary software.  So I guess I ought to try uninstall the 2 files I got to last time, and proceed as above.

Does that route forward seem ok to you ?   Again I ask where is the link to the DN2820FY Management Engine ?

As there is no Management Engine listed in the Driver Bundle, and its not listed in the list of 3 Applications for the DN2820FYKH, why is there a need for it, and why not in the list ?

• 11. Re: Does the supplied stock 015 BIOS normally detect/show internal HDD & External DVD drive containing a Win7 Install disk ?
                            kevin_intel

Hi paul456,

You are correct. The driver equal to ME is called now Intel® XTE and it can be downloaded at this link:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=23415

The order you mentioned seems good and you should not encounter a problem installing the drivers:

Kevin M

• 12. Re: Does the supplied stock 015 BIOS normally detect/show internal HDD & External DVD drive containing a Win7 Install disk ?
                              paul456

In absence of an early reply from you I successfully uninstalled the TXE file as that was not listed as a necessary part of the build using the MS Uninstall method you suggested, and proceeded with the installing the drivers listed in the 'Bundle' as follows:

1 INF_Win7_8_8.1_10.0.14.zip (Latest)

2 GFX_Win7_32_36.15.0.1073.zip (Bundle)

3 AUD_Win8.1_Win8_Win7_6.0.1.7240.zip   (Latest)

4 LAN_Win7_7077.zip (Latest)

5 USB3_Win7_3.0.0.33.zip (Latest)

6 Wireless_Win7_32_17.0.6.exe (Latest)

7 BT_Win7_32_17.0.1401.03,exe (Bundle)

I briefly tested WiFi and BT and both appeared to work, although like with my D54250WYK, the WiFi sensitivity is considerably weaker than on my Nexus 5 smartphone or Toshiba laptop.  Do you know why that is ?The default install setting showed WiFi power set to max 32mW, but that is only half the connection, I cannot see any information on the Rx Sensitivity, which I gather should be given in 'dBm' units.  The smartphone antenna is tiny compared to that of the NUC.  Does that mean the 7260 Receivers (N & AC variants) have low dBm sensitivity ?

Using same 24" Monitor I noticed a) the boot Display "Intel.." logo is a bit jagged compared to D54250WYK (unsure as to cause of that, as Windows driver not yet loaded), and b)  Device Manager & GPU-Z  report the Display Adapter is just a Standard VGA Adapter with MS driver.    i.e my running the GFX Driver from the bundle has not resulted in an Intel Graphics driver being installed

In Device Mgr I saw there are still 2 yellow flags: 'USB Controller'   &  'Unknown device'.    I guess the later is a result of my not having installed the InfraRed driver, but I am at a loss as to why the USB Controller is yellow. Can you advise ?

On seeing your message SENT TODAY, I wish you could have answered my issue about the non-appearance of a DN2820FY Management Engine the first time, as  I would not have had to Uninstall the TXE which I guessed was the nearest sounding item to a Management Engine I could find.   As you said the Chipset ,and aka TXE should install before other Drivers, does that mean I now have to 'Uninstall' items 2 to 7 above, then re-install TXE, then re-install items 2 to 7 ?

Might this be the reason a) the 'latest' GFX for D2820FY/Win7 32-bit refused to even install, b) the bundled GFX in item 2 failed to replace the default Windows VGA driver ?

Curious I could find no mention in Downloadcenter that TXE was a necessary component of the DN2820FYKH, which is why I concluded in absence of an answer from you in 2 previous posts, it was superflous.

I ask this now, as I am travelling and do not always have quick access to the DN2820FY to experiment with the install.

• 13. Re: Does the supplied stock 015 BIOS normally detect/show internal HDD & External DVD drive containing a Win7 Install disk ?
                                paul456

I would be grateful if you can answer my last post.

Since then, I have done 3 things:  I installed the Infrared driver which, as anticipated in my last post, has removed the Yellow flagged 'Unknown device'.    I reinstalled the GFX 36.15.0.1073 driver.  Dev Mgr now reports under Display adapters:  "Intel Atom CPU E3800 Series Celeron CPU N2920/J1900" so I guess that problem resolved.

Lastly, I could not find an entry in Device Manager for the USB 3 Driver, so tried installing the unzipped USB3_Win7_3.0.0.33.zip again.  However, all that happened was I got the UAC prompt, and when I clicked Yes, nothing happened.    Still get the yellow flagged 'USB Controller'.

So only 2 issues resolved from the list I put to you on 3 September.   I don't want to trust using the miniPC for work until confident the build is sound, so gratefull if you can advise on resolving the outstanding issues.

• 14. Re: Does the supplied stock 015 BIOS normally detect/show internal HDD & External DVD drive containing a Win7 Install disk ?
                                  kevin_intel

As previously mentioned you need to install the Chipset driver and the TXE driver and then you can install the other driver which the order of those drivers doesn’t matter.

IF you missed installing the Chipset and TXE driver then try installing those. 

Kevin M

1 2 Previous Next