10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2015 3:51 PM by xbolshe

MAC address 00:00:00:00:00:00 after boot from internal flash

davorin

After booting a fresh Galileo Rev 1 the ethernet interface gets no IP address and its MAC address is set to:

root@clanton:~# ifconfig eth0

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:00:00:00:00:00 

Only after manually issuing "/etc/init.d/networking restart" the DHCP kicks in and eth0 gets a real MAC address:

Running /etc/init.d/networking restart is deprecated because it may not enable again some interfaces

Reconfiguring network interfaces...

ifdown: interface eth0 not configured

udhcpc (v1.20.2) started

Sending discover...

Sending discover...

Sending select for 10.0.100.53...

Lease of 10.0.100.53 obtained, lease time 7200

/etc/udhcpc.d/50default: Adding DNS 10.0.0.1

root@clanton:~# ifconfig eth0

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 98:4F:EE:00:13:9F 

inet addr:10.0.100.53  Bcast:0.0.0.0  Mask:255.255.0.0

• 1. Re: MAC address 00:00:00:00:00:00 after boot from internal flash
          Intel_Alvarado

Hi davorin,

This problem may be because the Ethernet interface is not enabled. To enable the interface you can use the command ifup eth0. Also, if your device gets no IP address you can assign a static IP address using the command  ifconfig eth0 <IPv4 address>.  In this link you will find lots of helpful commands to help you configure your board http://www.tecmint.com/ifconfig-command-examples/

Regards

Sergio

• 2. Re: MAC address 00:00:00:00:00:00 after boot from internal flash
            Rushang.Karia

Do you have a serial cable?

The networking/restart is usually done just before the login shell appears.

Maybe look at that and post a screenshot over here.

• 3. Re: MAC address 00:00:00:00:00:00 after boot from internal flash
              davorin

Nothing at the end of the logs befor elogin:

[   12.039678] NET: Registered protocol family 17                                                                                   
              [   12.045383] ... APIC ID:  00000000 (0)                                                                                       
              [   12.049921] ... APIC VERSION: 00030010                                                                                           
              [   12.054210] 0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000                                                     
              [   12.054631] 0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000                                                     
              [   12.054631] 0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000008000                                                     
              [   12.054631]                                                                                                                      
              [   12.079711] testing the IO APIC.......................                                                                           
              [   12.086876] .................................... done.                                                                           
              [   12.092633] Using IPI Shortcut mode                                                                                              
              [   12.096559] turn off boot console uart0                                                                                          

Poky 9.0.2 (Yocto Project 1.4 Reference Distro) 1.4.2 clanton /dev/ttyS1                                                            

clanton login: root                                                                                                                 

The same behaviour also has the new Galileo 2 board when booting from SPI....

You always need to manually start network services....

And strangely....the link LED are always on, regardless if it is shut with "ifconfig eth0 down"...

• 4. Re: MAC address 00:00:00:00:00:00 after boot from internal flash
                Rushang.Karia

hi,

i am convinced that you manually update the firmware via the UEFI shell using the platform data files. (I think section 8 of the BSP)

Am I correct?

If yes then I hope you entered the correct MAC addresses for the Galileo. (Both must be different)

AND

Can you try the following,

get the arduino IDE

update the firmware using the IDE.

Boot from SPI.

Let me know the results.

If no,

Then it might be the router of your network. Try with a different switch if you have one.

• 5. Re: MAC address 00:00:00:00:00:00 after boot from internal flash
                  davorin

No...I just updated the firmware via the Arduino software package...

Well..I'm not an Arduino fan at all....so doesn't hurt me that much...was just surprised ethernet doesn't come up automatically...

Might just confuse my customer when I reselling those boards....

Can the built-in bootloader be replaced by another version? Like u-boot?

Don't like the bad old PC-style behavior that it takes ages until it finally boots an OS (o;

Or is the long preinit with all those thousand messages neccessary?

• 6. Re: MAC address 00:00:00:00:00:00 after boot from internal flash
                    Rushang.Karia

Ethernet does come up automatically.

Try a different router.

It is possible to have another boot-loader boot up the system. But its too complex (thank you Intel) to initialize an IA-processor, so I do not think anyone will be willing to spend

a lot of effort writing/porting a boot-loader for a different architecture to Quark.

Try a different router, or try to boot from SD-card using the exact instructions given by Intel. Use the Intel supplied image and try it. None of us have faced such a problem.

The long-preinit is required as of now, although it might be eliminated in the future with a new update.

• 7. Re: MAC address 00:00:00:00:00:00 after boot from internal flash
                      davorin

There is no way I will try or use another router ;-)

A FreeBSD box running pf is way out of question being responsible for this problem, believe me :-))

Ethernet not coming up has nothing to do with a router...as it doesn't display any logs that it can't get any IP address...so it doesn't even try at all after boot...

• 8. Re: MAC address 00:00:00:00:00:00 after boot from internal flash
                        Rushang.Karia

Try the SD-card method then.

Boot the Intel supplied image and check if that works.

• 9. Re: MAC address 00:00:00:00:00:00 after boot from internal flash
                          Toni_arduino

So... what is the conclusion? Are we the only 2 people in the world having this issue?

New Galileo rev1 board, updated to the latest firmware from Arduino IDE (the first thing I did when I received the board), and I have the same problem: MAC address 00:00:00:00:00:00 each time it boots, needing to restart the network interface using commands in order to get the real MAC (the one printed in a sticker).

• 10. Re: MAC address 00:00:00:00:00:00 after boot from internal flash
                            xbolshe

It seems that eth0 is down by default when booting from internal flash.

If enable eth0 like this:

ifconfig eth0 up

then MAC address will be present.

What does it mean? Just this is a default configuration of internal flash, when eth0 is down. Seems not a bug, like a feature

Need just to enable it. Also it is possible to create own internal flash image, where eth0 is enabled by default. Or use system("ifconfig eth0 up"); in a sketch.