Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20690 Discussions

Intel HD 4600 - HDMI Monitor Will Not Sleep

FTsch
Beginner

The monitor connected to the HDMI port will not sleep, the one connected to the DVI port does.

I have i5-4690k, ASRock Z97 Extreme6, two HP 23xi monitors, Win 8.1 x64, current drivers.

Similar Problem...

The monitors both went to sleep fine using the same cables on my old pc with a graphics card.

I have tried different HDMI cables, an HDMI (pc) to DVI (monitor) cable, and swapped the monitors.

The monitors say Monitor Going To Sleep, and the DVI monitor goes to sleep and stays asleep.

The HDMI monitor sleeps for 1 second, then says Monitor Going To Sleep, sleeps for 1 second, etc. in a loop.

The problem is either with the motherboard (all drivers and UEFI up to date) or with the Intel 4600 HD driver.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix the problem? I haven't tried the DisplayPort (I dont have a cable).

Removing the driver and using Microsoft Basic Display Adapter has the same problem.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Thanks for joining the Graphics community.

I understand that the monitor connected via HDMI does not go to sleep.

At this stage, make sure you have loaded the latest video drivers for your graphics controller here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=23885&lang=eng&ProdId=3720 Intel® Download Center File name: Win64_153322.exe

The last part of your post says that working with Microsoft generic video drivers is the same. This is an indication that this is not a driver problem. The problem might be the port itself or the motherboard BIOS.

See the following link for BIOS download: http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z97%20Extreme6/?cat=Download&os=BIOS ASRock > Z97 Extreme6

Thanks

Allan.

0 Kudos
FTsch
Beginner

I have the latest intel drivers and the latest bios. I ordered a DisplayPort to DVI cable to see if that might work.

I searched around the internet and found others with the same problem on various threads (just not on intel forum).

I contacted ASRock and HP to see if they had any ideas, but have not gotten a response yet. I'll keep you posted.

0 Kudos
FTsch
Beginner

I ordered a DisplayPort to DVI cable and it fixed the problem.

There was either a problem with the HDMI port or something with the driver.

Hopefully this helps someone else with the same problem.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Thanks for the update. I am glad your computer is working now.

Allan.

0 Kudos
FDe_L5
Beginner

I have a similar issue in which my HDMI monitor will not go into standby mode when I put the computer to sleep. This happens from both the DVI port and HDMI port on my motherboard which connects to the HDMI connector on my Hanns.G iF281 monitor. I previously had a graphics card in my computer in which I had no issues with my HDMI monitor going to standby. I removed it to put it in another computer, since the intel hd4600 should be as fast as that card. I have a Asrock B85 Anniversary motherboard, with an intel i5-4590. I had the 15.36.23.64.4251 drivers and also tried the Test HDMI drivers posted. Although I don't think it was my cable I tried other ones and nothing works. I don't want to go into too much detail as I'd like to know if there still are bugs with the HDMI in which it will not go into standby and whether you working on it.

Thanks,

Francesco

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

I understand this problem was fixed with the Test driver posted while back; however, if you still experience same problem, I recommend checking for customized drivers from your computer manufacturer.

Allan.

0 Kudos
FDe_L5
Beginner

Hi Allan,

I tried the drivers available from AsRock's website, which say they are the driver version 15.33.31.3993. (10.18.10.3993). I still have the same problem. I have to say that I am extremely disappointed that something as basic as putting the monitor in energy-saving mode doesn't work. I am using Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. Can you tell me if there are known issues about this? It's obvious that the original poster here didn't get his problem resolved either, but just chose to use another port. I get the issue with both the DVI port and HDMI port. I connect one or the other to the HDMI port on the monitor (for the DVI, I use a DVI to HDMI cable which came with the monitor) For the HDMI cable I tried 3 different ones to see if it made a difference. What can I do about this problem?

Thanks,

Francesco

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

I have been testing HDMI connection with straight cables (HDMI to HDMI) using Intel NUC and ultrabooks with same graphics controller, I am not experiencing any sleep issues. Please make sure you have tried high quality cables.

Allan.

0 Kudos
FDe_L5
Beginner

Hi Allan,

I've used many different cables...I found another user from 2010 had the same problem I'm having. He was using the same monitor I'm using (Hanns.G iF281). Is there any workaround to this issue, other than installing another graphics card (the graphics card I had before behaved fine)?

Thanks,

Francesco

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee
0 Kudos
FDe_L5
Beginner

HI Allan,

I guess I forgot to mention I'm using Windows 7 (Ultimate), 64bit. Driver version 4279 is only for Windows 10 with my 4th generation CPU. I tried version 4264 and still same issue.

There was a huge community of people with the same monitor that had the same problem with Nvidia drivers. However there was some sort of patch that the driver would read this key "OverrideEdidFlags0" and it fixed people's problem. Probably Hanns G has some issue with the EDID... I don't know. All I do know is that with my other graphics card (Radeon HD 5570), with the same monitor and with the same cable, went to sleep fine. The Radeon HD 5570 didn't seem to have any issue with the EDID of that monitor, but the Nvidia cards, and Intel do.. You can read up on it here http://www.tombeauchamp.com/2009/08/fix-for-hanns-g-28-monitor-and-nvidia-gpu-sleep-mode-problem/ Fix for Hanns-G 28″ Monitor and NVidia GPU Sleep Mode Problem on Vista/7 " In My Travels

If Intel is serious about fixing or providing a patch for this issue they need to understand the problem that so many NVidia users had in the link above..

Thanks,

Francesco

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Were you able to test different monitor model?

It might be some type of compatibility with the Intel(R) driver and the monitor EDID. This is hard to say since I do not have same monitor model.

Additionally, please test the latest Windows 7 driver here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25425/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-15-36- Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows 7/8.1* [15.36]

Allan.

0 Kudos