3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2014 7:18 AM by allan_intel

Windows 8.1-- "This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing this software"

alienaches

I have an Acer laptop, running Windows 8.1 with an Intel Core i5-4200U CPU 1.60Hz 2.3GHz processor. I have 8 GB of installed RAM. I bought it brand new about 3 months ago, and recently, I've come across a problem when I play video games or use Adobe Photoshop. I get an error message that my graphics card stopped working, and then a notification from Windows will pop up telling me I need to fix a problem with it. When I click it, it gives me a link to download a more updated driver software from Intel's website. When I download it and try to run the software, I get an error message saying "This computer does not meet the minimum requirement for install this software.

So apparently I need this software for my graphics card to run properly, but I'm unable to install it. What is the problem here?

• 1. Re: Windows 8.1-- "This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing this software"
          allan_intel

Thanks for joining the graphics community.

I am sorry to hear that have had problems updating Intel Graphics Driver.

This type of message appears when you try to install the driver and the installation file does not detect an Intel® Graphics Controller, or you have downloaded a driver that is not compatible for your operating system version; this could be either 32 bit or 64 bit version. Also, this happens when you have a computer running on switchable graphics with two video cards, Intel and Third Party (Nvidia or ATI).

If you are under Nvidia or ATI and try to install Intel drivers, the installation process is going to stop with message "This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing this software".

See the link below for more information about switchable graphics:

Graphics — Switchable Graphics feature FAQ

switchable graphics.JPG

Thanks

Allan.

• 2. Re: Windows 8.1-- "This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing this software"
            alienaches

Hi Allan,

Thanks for the information, this clears up a lot of confusion for me. I do in fact have an Nvidia graphics card along with my Intel one, so I think this is the source of the error message.

I looked at the help page you provided, but I was unable to find any instruction on how I can update my Intel card while having Switchable Graphics. I tried to see if I could turn off my Nvidia card so only my Intel card is in use, but I cannot find any options that allow me to do that. So am I just unable to update my Intel card because of the Switchable Graphics feature? I'm inclined to believe this isn't the case, so if you have any way to help me with the update, I'd appreciate it.

• 3. Re: Windows 8.1-- "This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing this software"
              allan_intel

Thanks for the information.

Please bear in mind, Intel's generic graphics drivers from the Intel Web site do not work on some computers that support Switchable Graphics.

I have been checking on Internet about how to disable switchable graphics on Acer computers, please try the steps below:

Power on the system. As soon as the first logo screen appears, immediately press the F2 key, to enter the BIOS.

Press the RIGHT ARROW key to select Main.

Use the up and down arrow keys to navigate to Graphic Mode and then press the ENTER key.

Use the up and down arrow keys to navigate to Discrete and press ENTER.

Press the F10 key to save changes and restart the system.

I hope this help.

Allan.