1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2014 3:47 PM by Rushang.Karia

Intel Galileo Quark SoC kernel Customization

krish_22

Hey guys, I am working on intel galileo Quark Soc Board. During customization of kernel I came across certain term which are mentioned below.

1. DISTRO ?= "clanton-tiny"

2. linux-yocto-clanton

3. why we require eGlibc instead of uClibc

So, Can any body explain me meaning and use of all the term mentioned above?

Thanks and Regards

kishan

• 1. Re: Intel Galileo Quark SoC kernel Customization
          mhahn

looks rather like you are on presteps prior to your kernel customization.

From what you posted it looks like you are trying to understand Yocto - probably the best available reference to Yocto is the Yocto Project Reference Manual.

On your other question eglibc vs uclibc: If you're building for SPI you would need uclibc due to the smaller size - i.e. you don't get an eglibc based image on the SPI. If you're building for SD card you're free to choose.

I'd recommend to start from an existing Yocto layer (either uclibc or eglibc) rather than trying from scratch on your own.

• 2. Re: Intel Galileo Quark SoC kernel Customization
            krish_22

thank you for your reply

while making grup.efi file I came across one variable CC4GRUB

I am not able to understand why it is use for and what is it

now I want to know that what is "CC4GRUB" ?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Intel Galileo Quark SoC kernel Customization
              krish_22

sorry it is grub.efi file

• 4. Re: Intel Galileo Quark SoC kernel Customization
                mhahn

I'd assume it's the compiler for grub bootloader?

• 5. Re: Intel Galileo Quark SoC kernel Customization
                  krish_22

Thanx mhahn

Now I am doing kernel customization of intel galileo. I have open menuconfig window for kernel also using "bitbake linux-yocto-clanton -c menuconfig". It works successfully, then I have done "bitbake image-full-galileo". It also works successfully. but now I want to modify my kernel, so after modifying when I am again compiling my kernel It shows me an error which I have shown below.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

| Collected errors:

|  * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package kernel-module-stmmac.

| ERROR: Function failed: do_rootfs (see /home/kishan/Desktop/galileo/meta-clanton_v1.0.1/yocto_build/tmp/work/clanton-poky-linux-uclibc/core-image-minimal-initramfs/1.0-r0/temp/log.do_rootfs.2339 for further information)

ERROR: Task 153 (/home/kishan/Desktop/galileo/meta-clanton_v1.0.1/poky/meta/recipes-core/images/core-image-minimal-initramfs.bb, do_rootfs) failed with exit code '1'

NOTE: Tasks Summary: Attempted 2922 tasks of which 2886 didn't need to be rerun and 1 failed.

Waiting for 0 running tasks to finish:

Summary: 1 task failed:

/home/kishan/Desktop/galileo/meta-clanton_v1.0.1/poky/meta/recipes-core/images/core-image-minimal-initramfs.bb, do_rootfs

Summary: There was 1 ERROR message shown, returning a non-zero exit code.

kishan@kishan-OptiPlex-3010:~/Desktop/galileo/meta-clanton_v1.0.1/yocto_build$

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So will you please give me solution for this.

How to resolve it?

I have searched a lot but I am not able to find out any kind of solution

Thanks

Kishan kakkad

• 6. Re: Intel Galileo Quark SoC kernel Customization
                    krish_22

1. clanton-tiny and clanton-full

--- both are configuration types for intel galileo kernel

if you want to check configuration for both then go to below mentioned path

$ ../meta-clanton_v1.0.1/meta-clanton-distro/conf/distro

- here you can find  (1) clanton-tiny.conf

(2) clanton-full.conf

-- see both the files so that any one can get idea what it is, what kind of support it provides.

2. linux-yocto-clanton

--- It is type of virtual/kernel for clanton-tiny as well as clanton-full

--- this you can check by go through the above mentioned path

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Intel Galileo Quark SoC kernel Customization
                      krish_22

please give me solution for this error

• 8. Re: Intel Galileo Quark SoC kernel Customization
                        Rushang.Karia

Not sure if this is the solution but,

I do not know if image-full-galileo builds an image using eglibc or uclibc. If uclibc then try to compile using eglibc.

• 9. Re: Intel Galileo Quark SoC kernel Customization
                          mhahn

Rushang.Karia wrote:

Not sure if this is the solution but,

I do not know if image-full-galileo builds an image using eglibc or uclibc. If uclibc then try to compile using eglibc.

if it's from meta-clanton_v1.0.1 I'd assume it's uclibc.

btw: You have marked this thread as solved but apparently it's not yet solved?

• 10. Re: Intel Galileo Quark SoC kernel Customization
                            Rushang.Karia

@krish_22 please start a new post

• 11. Re: Intel Galileo Quark SoC kernel Customization
                              krish_22

Thanx Rushang and mhahn

Image-full-galileo is uclibc base.

because in Yocto-build/conf path there is local.conf file

In this file one line is there which is DISTRO ?= "clanton-tiny"

now when yo go into

$ ../meta-clanton_v1.0.1/meta-clanton-distro/conf/distro

and go to clanton-tiny.conf file, In this file you will find it is "uclibc" base.

If anybody wants to customize their kernel using eglibc then they have to disable uclibc patch from

$ ../meta-clanton_v1.0.1/meta-clanton-distro/recipes-multimedia/v4l2apps

In this directory there is one file v4l-utils_0.8.8.bbappend

go into this file and comment all the lines by prepending  hash ( # ) sign at all lines.

• 12. Re: Intel Galileo Quark SoC kernel Customization
                                Rushang.Karia

yup that is correct.

you can use a script that i built to automate building the eglibc image.

Automated script to build images for Intel Galileo

• 13. Re: Intel Galileo Quark SoC kernel Customization
                                  krish_22

Thanx Rushang

Your script is very much useful for me.

Now one more question is, Can you tell me what is galileo SDK?

Is it Arduino or any other thing?

I am confused in this.

• 14. Re: Intel Galileo Quark SoC kernel Customization
                                    krish_22

hi Rushang

I want to know that what exactly galileo SDK is

Please tell me

Thanks

Kishan kakkad

1 2 Previous Next