Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

Intel SSDs in Intel Modular Server

idata
Employee

What are the plans/timeline for getting Intel's own enterprise flash drives fully tested and support with the modular server?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Richard_A_Intel1
Employee

Hello

The current plan is to have Intel MLC and SLC SSD drives validated in the Modular Server by the last week of September.

Thanks

rich

0 Kudos
WTan13
Beginner

Rich (or Intel),

I don't see this option on the Intel Server Configurator. Is validation of the X25 SSDs still planned at this point, and is there an ETA?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Richard_A_Intel1
Employee

Hi

SLC SSD (Intel X-25E) drives have now passed validation and you can use them in the Modular Server system. Please ensure you also have the tailgate board for each drive ( AXXTM3SATA).

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Just sharing my experience or both X25-E & X25-M on the IMS.

That "Dongle" is basically doing 2 things:

1.Making sure that the SSDs are being recognized as SAS device so that the redundancy of the storage controller would work

2.Providing a more consistent performance at the I/O level

However, you will not benefit much from using X25-E as the LSI controller is just too slow. We are still wondering why Intel didn't want to include IOP348 in the IMS. Even with IOP348 (We are trying it with Adpatec 5805Z), it is very tough to make X25-M running at its potential as IOP348 is not really designed to support SSDs.

I seriously urge Intel to replace that slow LSI storage controller with IOP348, this was the reason we decided not to buy the IMS but to stick to standalone multiple 2U servers with Open-E SAN.

Do your calculation and explore if you really need X25-E instead of X25-M...

0 Kudos