8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 24, 2014 6:33 PM by TotallyLost

Make your own Edison board  for dummies?

gowri_somanath

Hi

[when i say I, it i'm thinking more 'class of people' with similar situation]

I am a limited skill hardware person*. If I want to take advantage of the compact size of the Edison to make my own board with all I/O pins but without the say USB/SD card slots, what should I do?

Essentially i'm asking for a "dummies guide to making a board"

1. I am ok to program with the arduino board and test out my project

2. I program the pins using Arduino IDE rather than linux interfaces

3. I  use scripting languages say python, node.js etc

4. I like to use IDE for C/C++ programming

Now that ive written a combination of IDE, script and C code, I want to make a simplistic board for Edison. Where do I find whats the stuff I must retain from the Arduino board schematics, do I have a starting point for a simple board with schematics for the I/O pins?

I'm wondering if the collective knowledge from the experts in this group who are doing this can be turned into a tutorial or book for the above?

[i'd be one of their first customers]

*I can solder blobs, I can read pinouts, i have basic understanding of electronics to replicate circuits but not invent them!

• 1. Re: Make your own Edison board  for dummies?
          Steven Xing

Personally, I really don't recommend building your own board for the Edison if you haven't had some experience with designing PCBs beforehand, mostly because of the compactness of the 70-pin connector. At launch, we'll be hoping to be able to recommend external board designer/builder services that'll make this easier (working on this right now). Unfortunately, we don't have something of the sort who we can recommend (let along a service provider who's cleared an NDA).

• 2. Re: Make your own Edison board  for dummies?
            intel_jorge

If your are interested on building your own board to connect to the Edison computer module, you might want to check out these two documents:

The specified item was not found.

Intel® Edison Arduino Board Hardware Guide

• 3. Re: Make your own Edison board  for dummies?
              TotallyLost

For those of us that are used to designing boards for small pitch parts, what other documentation resources are available with your NDA for this product? I've executed NDA's for other Intel CPU products, who do I need to talk with to get this access?

I'm currently laying out two Edison boards that I hope will be released for fab early this week.

It would be nice to have a design checklist from Intel.

I agree that small pitch SMT isn't for noobies.

• 4. Re: Make your own Edison board  for dummies?
                intel_jorge

We are in the process of releasing some additional files that will help on the designing of Edison compatible expansion boards. I don't have a firm date when we will post them, but stay tuned, it should be soon.

• 5. Re: Make your own Edison board  for dummies?
                  TotallyLost

It would also be nice to have schematic and pcb layout for the breakout board and arduino board as reference designs. Unable to purchase them yet from either source referred to by the web site to verify operation and design details. Seems even bare Edison modules are leaking out delayed to Sparkfun, now next week instead of this week.

• 6. Re: Make your own Edison board  for dummies?
                    TotallyLost

Stock update as of 2pm MDT ... MakerShed.com now has at least 15 Edison+Arduino in stock at $107+shipping. Sparkfun now has 430 bare Edison modules available for $49.95 + shipping.

• 7. Re: Make your own Edison board  for dummies?
                      onehorse

I designed a simple Edison add-on board on Eagle; you could take a look at the Eagle files to see what is involved and plan your own board. It is not too hard to do if you have any experience with 2-layer pc board design and solder reflow of SMD part. This board is for a multifunction device with buttons, UART, USB devices,  DC motor control, and orientation sensors, etc. Simpler add-on shields with a single function, such as a sensor breakout would be very simple to design, and OSH Park makes the pc boards for next to nothing.

• 8. Re: Make your own Edison board  for dummies?
                        TotallyLost

Sparkfun Edison module stock update as of this evening -- just a few left:

431 in stock Thu Sep 18 13:54:41 MDT 2014

426 in stock Thu Sep 18 15:04:03 MDT 2014

413 in stock Thu Sep 18 21:18:27 MDT 2014

386 in stock Fri Sep 19 06:00:34 MDT 2014

151 in stock Mon Sep 22 12:18:04 MDT 2014

123 in stock Mon Sep 22 16:42:19 MDT 2014

61 in stock Tue Sep 23 13:03:38 MDT 2014

54 in stock Tue Sep 23 14:09:48 MDT 2014

53 in stock Tue Sep 23 15:00:53 MDT 2014

50 in stock Tue Sep 23 16:11:19 MDT 2014

44 in stock Tue Sep 23 19:07:13 MDT 2014

28 in stock Wed Sep 24 08:26:32 MDT 2014