Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14507 Discussions

Intel Extreme Tuning Utility crashing entire system

TGarc7
Beginner

I just downloaded the Intel ETU and when I initialize the program it crashes my system (Blue Screen).

The first time, it displayed an error saying another tuning software was running and I had to close such software and restart. I deactivated my AMD Catalist Center (I have no other tuning soft instaled, CPU nor GPU) and tried again and had the first Blue Screen.

I tried initializing the software upon a fresh boot three times and had the same result. I opens the software's loading screen and in seconds, it crashes the system.

My specs:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz

Intel(R) Desktop Board DX58SO

Windows 7 Professional SP1

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Hello Talaveror, I'm sorry for the inconvenience you have faced with your system.

I would need to get some information from you in order to find out what is causing this behavior.

Please let me know the following:

1. Which version of the Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU) are you using?
  2. Which memory are you using?
  3. If the utility is not installed on your system at all, does it crash? Are you getting any BSOD?

Could you also run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool and send me the results? http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-031726.htm http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-031726.htm

Regards,

0 Kudos
TGarc7
Beginner

Answering the questions:

1. I downloaded the newest version available at Intel.com, the 5.1.0.23

2. My system has 3x KINGSTOM DDR3 2GB UDIMM PC3-10700

3, No, I hadn't have a BSOD failure in my system in years prior to installing the utility.

0 Kudos
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Taleveror I am going to check if the XTU 5.1 will be supported on older processors or only on 4th generation processors. Once I received the information, I will notify you.

In the mean time, please try doing the following:

• Install the latest BIOS version available
  • Install the chipset driver again
  • Install the latest ME driver available (Management engine)
  • Install the previous XTU 4.4
0 Kudos
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Taleveror, I received the information from the engineers confirming that XTU 5.1 won't be supported on older processors. It works on 4th generation processors.

Therefore, my recommendation for you is to continue using the older XTU version.

0 Kudos
KFarn
Beginner

Dear Intel,

I am a retired petroleum reservoir engineer . . . and after decades writing and running some of the most complex software imaginable,

I can verify that the last and least popular responsibility software developers get around to doing is DOCUMENTATION.

It is time for Intel to take the time to properly document XTU Version: 5.1.0.23 (Latest)

It will save users from a hell of a lot of time screwing around with this software . . .

0 Kudos
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

This was already requested. Thanks for the feedback.

0 Kudos