cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Encryption on DC S3500, DC S3700 with ATA Password

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi there,

The spec for the DC S3500 and DC 3700 drives say they use AES-256 encryption; if I use the hdparm utility with the ATA security commands to set a user password on these drives, please can you confirm yes or no to the following questions:

1. Does the drive encrypt its AES keys with the ATA password?

2. Is the ATA password stored as a non-reversible hash on the firmware?3. Is the above combination safe against ATA password removal attacks, such as A-FF Repair Station (http://hdd-tools.com/products/rrs http://hdd-tools.com/products/rrs)?

Thanks

Alex
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Kevin_M_Intel
Contributor II

Hello alza,

Let me help you with this.

It is important to say that the drive does encrypt its AES keys with the ATA password and ATA password is stored as non-reversible hash.

In regards your third question, we are unable to suggest specific or third party software but you will also notice that there are no Intel® drives listed in the "Supported Drives" section for this particular product.

Kevin

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Kevin_M_Intel
Contributor II

Hello alza,

Let me help you with this.

It is important to say that the drive does encrypt its AES keys with the ATA password and ATA password is stored as non-reversible hash.

In regards your third question, we are unable to suggest specific or third party software but you will also notice that there are no Intel® drives listed in the "Supported Drives" section for this particular product.

Kevin

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi there,

Thanks for the response; this clarification is important to me, because I have been trying to determine if setting the ATA password is an adequate security measure to defend against theft etc.

For example, if the drive does indeed encrypt its AES keys with the ATA user password, it is my understanding that it will not be possible for an attacker to decrypt the data on the drive, unless they know the ATA password (because this password is needed to decrypt the AES key, which is needed to decrypt the data).

Thanks

Alex.

You are welcome.