8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2014 5:10 PM by joe_intel

D54250WYK and Older Pansonic Plasma 2005 Model TH-42PX50U

nearthebay

Oh, what an impression the Panasonic plasma made on me the first time I brought her home and fired her up in 2005! And she still looks great today when almost any kind of video is fed to her. But I do have a problem when she gets the HDMI output from the NUC. The Intel Graphics 5000 (latest version from the Intel download site) software reports the native resolution correctly as 1024 x 768, but, temptingly, the only other resolution shown is 1920x1080. If I select that resolution, the picture looks fine and detailed, if the interlaced version is chosen (This was only a 720p model: it does not do 1080p). But the Intel program will not let me resize the picture, and there is no "fit" setting on this monitor (as there was with my Samsung plasma when I built my first D54250WYK). The native resolution can be sized to fit the screen with the Intel video software, but the picture is fuzzy and unacceptable. The higher resolution looks fine, but the bottom and sides of the picture are cut off on the Windows desktop.

When using this monitor with an "old fashioned" HTPC, I use the 1920 x 1080 interlaced and have the ATI software to resize the screen. Any suggestions? If I cannot fix this problem, I certainly will not be able to use this plasma with the NUC, as I intended to do when I purchased it.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

• 1. Re: D54250WYK and Older Pansonic Plasma 2005 Model TH-42PX50U
          joe_intel

It seems you have tried the options available in Intel® HD Graphics Control Panel and the TV settings. Just in case, aspect controls are detailed in page 21 here: http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/TH37PX50U-ENGLISH.PDF

As usual, you may update to the latest BIOS incrementally and make sure you are using a straight-thru cable since the adapters may not work properly. Otherwise it looks like an unavoidable hardware limitation from the TV due to the limited image-scaling options.

• 2. Re: D54250WYK and Older Pansonic Plasma 2005 Model TH-42PX50U
            nearthebay

Thanks for the comment. Reference to the noted page shows that aspect adjustment on this set is available for 4:3 sources only. It does not function for 16:9. This fact was noted in the CNET review of this model Panasonic TH-PX50U series (2005 plasma) review - CNET This fact seems to be often lost on owners of this set, who report on some of the forums that the feature is "greyed out". It is only greyed out when they try to adjust a 16:9 source. It would work on a 4:3 source.

Unfortunately, it appears that there is no solution that I have been able to find for the noted problem, other than to tolerate the sides of the picture being cut off. Since the Radeon HD software is able to scale the picture for its card on my other machine, any chance that feature could be added to the Intel Graphics software so that the higher interlaced resolution of the Panasonic plasma could also be adjusted?

• 3. Re: D54250WYK and Older Pansonic Plasma 2005 Model TH-42PX50U
              nearthebay

And I would also appreciate hearing from any owners with similar problems. I also installed Linux Mint on the NUC, but was not able to find a way the scale the Panasonic picture on that operating system either.

It is simply too much of a problem to simply ignore, as it impairs the day-to-day usability of the computer. There simply must be a  work-around I have not yet discovered.

• 4. Re: D54250WYK and Older Pansonic Plasma 2005 Model TH-42PX50U
                dougho

Your original post said "But the Intel program will not let me resize the picture"

If you are in Windows with Intel's graphics driver, did you try Graphics Properties - Display - Customize Aspect Ratio?  That should bring up horizontal and vertical sliders over on the right, which you could presumably reduce from their default 100.

• 5. Re: Re: D54250WYK and Older Pansonic Plasma 2005 Model TH-42PX50U
                  nearthebay

The re-sizing is offered only for the native resolution of the plasma, not the 1920x1080 interlaced resolution. That might not have been completely clear in my original post. If the 1920x1080 resolution is selected, the picture is fine and detailed, but the edges of the screen are cut off  it cannot be resized, a problem I have never seen before with that monitor using other hardware. Every other source I have fed it over the years, which tended to be Radeon HD cards of some variety using other computers, have always allowed re-sizing through adjustment of their respective software settings, and the resolution has always been the 1920x1080i setting, which works best with that plasma.

I am confident there is a solution somewhere, but I have not found it yet.

• 6. Re: D54250WYK and Older Pansonic Plasma 2005 Model TH-42PX50U
                    kevin_intel

The limitation can be on the native resolution of the TV. If the native resolution is 1024x768 (as per the specs) the TV will only be capable to display at 1024x768 HD.

Kevin M

• 7. Re: D54250WYK and Older Pansonic Plasma 2005 Model TH-42PX50U
                      nearthebay

I agree that the native resolution is 1024X720 (My original posting mistakenly said 1024X768). But my point is that I have used that plasma with a different HTPC for several years, which had a Radeon HD video card. The CCC software for that series of Radeon card allows the user to resize the screen to use a better looking 1920x1080i resolution. The Intel software allows resizing only for the native resolution, leaving the user no choice but to tolerate the cut off sides of the picture. The older Panasonic TV does not have a "screen fit" mode.  It would therefore seem that the issue is fixable with software. Other than the cut off picture, the display looks the same using either software solution.

• 8. Re: D54250WYK and Older Pansonic Plasma 2005 Model TH-42PX50U
                        joe_intel

This is certainly a good suggestion we can forward to the engineering department for consideration in future releases.