Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7428 Discussions

I want my 7260AC adapter to do this:

BB4
New Contributor II

I connect wirelessly to a TP-Link dual band Archer D7 device, which has both 2 and 5GHz bands.

In some areas of the house, the 5 band reach and reception is poor. Connected to that band, I might see single digit speeds, never more than 20 or 30 Mbps, while the 2 band will be getting 180-240 Mbps.

What I want is to be able to give each band the same SSID name and PW and have the wireless adapter switch bands in order to optimize connection speed. I've tried this and it doesn't work. It stays connected to whichever band I get it connected to no matter where I go with the laptop. It will stay on the 5 band until reception is so poor that the connection drops. Similarly, if I'm on the 2 band it will stay there even if I walk right up to the modem where I should be seeing 866.

I have to give the bands separate SSID names and connect separately depending on where I am and according to what speed I should expect to get in that particular area.

Is there a solution to this that I'm not getting? Adapter settings that would enable what I want? I've played with roaming aggressiveness and band preference, but maybe I haven't hit on the right combo. If you're reading this and you can do what I want, tell me how, please.

This is for a ThinkPad T440p with the 7260AC part and the current driver direct from Intel.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

The adapter can roam between access points using different bands, for example in an enterprise environment; but it is not possible to make it switch bands being broadcast by the same router based on signal quality.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Hi GattoNero, the preferred band option allows you to choose a preference over one specific band but it is not designed to choose a different one just because the signal quality has diminished. Roaming aggressiveness allows roaming between access points but not necessarily between wireless bands.

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-025393.htm Intel® Wi-Fi Products — What are the advanced Wi-Fi adapter settings?

0 Kudos
BB4
New Contributor II

Do you have answer to my query? Can this adapter be made to switch bands based on signal quality?

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

The adapter can roam between access points using different bands, for example in an enterprise environment; but it is not possible to make it switch bands being broadcast by the same router based on signal quality.

0 Kudos
BB4
New Contributor II
0 Kudos