Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20492 Discussions

Can't play BluRay discs with Intel HD 4600?

RHunt6
Beginner

Hi,

I'm new to this forum so I hope I' ding the right thing. I am running Windows 8.1 on Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H with Intel Core i7 .4770 processor. When I try to play BluRay discs on PowerDVD 8 I get the error message "Play has been stopped because your graphics driver is incompatible". My driver version is 10.18.10.3621 and is dated May 16th 2014. Can this problem be overcome? Would appreciate any advice

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

I had this problem with PowerDVD 7.3 and managed to find out what the problem was for me.

The creators of PowerDVD only added support for Intel graphics in later versions. The data for this is stored in two files called DxRenderV.dll and DxRenderX.dll that are present in the PowerDVD folder and have been for many versions of their software (though the precise folder that they're in has changed between versions).

These files are updated between versions with new graphics chip info, and I think you'll find that the ones from the current trial version of PowerDVD contain Intel support.

(Of course, the older, unsupported versions of PowerDVD also don't include the latest AACS key updates (copy protection stuff), but that's a very different problem.)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

I had this problem with PowerDVD 7.3 and managed to find out what the problem was for me.

The creators of PowerDVD only added support for Intel graphics in later versions. The data for this is stored in two files called DxRenderV.dll and DxRenderX.dll that are present in the PowerDVD folder and have been for many versions of their software (though the precise folder that they're in has changed between versions).

These files are updated between versions with new graphics chip info, and I think you'll find that the ones from the current trial version of PowerDVD contain Intel support.

(Of course, the older, unsupported versions of PowerDVD also don't include the latest AACS key updates (copy protection stuff), but that's a very different problem.)

0 Kudos
RHunt6
Beginner

Hi RLacey,

Thanks for your reply. I finally got around to downloading trial version of PowerDVD 14 and it plays my BLURay discs just fine. I actually had two free patches that upgraded my version 8 to version 10 but it wouldn't work with Windows 8 and strangely enough Version 8 did. Anyway, it looks like I'll have to shell out for Version 14. It's cheaper than buying a good video card.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Thanks for joining the graphics community.

Yes, one of the requirements to be able to play BluRay discs would be update to the latest software player.

Please take a look at the following recommendations for more information:

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-031600.htm http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-031600.htm

Allan.

0 Kudos
RHunt6
Beginner

Thanks for your reply Allan and helpful link. As you can see from the above post and my reply, the problem wasn't compatibility with BluRay but compatibility with the Intel HD 4600. Power DVD 8 was bundled with my BluRay burner which I purchased in 2011 and played BluRay discs perfectly for three years but that was on my old computer which had an ATI Radeon 4870 video card. The problem arose when I bought a new custom computer with i7 4770 processor and Intel HD 4600 graphocs. Thanks again.

Richard

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

I am glad to hear you are able to play BluRay discs. Thanks for sharing the information.

Allan.

0 Kudos