5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2014 1:57 PM by mhahn

Has anyone managed to get the Dart language to run on Galileo?

Copernicus

There is a 32 bit version of Dart (https://www.dartlang.org/). I haven't been able to get it working on Galileo - I get an error message "No such file or directory" when attempting to run ./dart.

When I run "file dart" it reports:

ELF 32-bit LSB executable. Intel 80386, version 1...

Is there a Linux / Yocto lib file or format I'm missing? any specific architecture / instruction / processor considerations? I've built Dart for ia32 and x64 using the instructions found at (Building - dart - How to build and test the Dart project - Dart - Structured Web Programming - Google Project Hosting).

Thanks for any ideas on this.

• 1. Re: Has anyone managed to get the Dart language to run on Galileo?
          mhahn

don't quite get what you are doing. Are you putting a prebuilt binary you downloaded somewhere on Galileo and try to run it?

If yes, various things to take care of:

- which image do you use? Is it uclibc or eglibc?

- your SW needs to be compiled for the same libc. I.E. unless what you downloaded is built exactly for your libc version it won't work

- you could cross-compile using Yocto

- or put gcc on Galileo and compile there

Hope that helps

• 2. Re: Has anyone managed to get the Dart language to run on Galileo?
            Copernicus

Thanks ... I've been using the 1.0 Galileo image. I downloaded the Linux build of Dart from https://www.dartlang.org/.

Which version / release libc is required by Galileo?

I've compiled small things with gcc on the Galileo, but Dart seems too big to handle it that way. (I haven't tried Yocto to cross-compile.)

The Dart build process does cross-compilation in a variety of flavors. Running on Ubuntu, you can cross-compile to 'ia32', 'x64', 'simarm', 'arm', 'simmips', 'mips', 'simarm64', 'arm64' (Here is a link to build.py showing Dart toolchains) The build process is pretty involved - and takes a fair amount of time even on higher-end quad-cores - so I haven't considered moving it to Galileo.

Are there any examples of a Linux Ubuntu (14.04 / 64 bit) cross-compiler and toolchain being used to build things for Galileo?

• 3. Re: Has anyone managed to get the Dart language to run on Galileo?
              mhahn

Well, what you alternatively can do: putting the SD card into a Linux box, chroot into the card and build in the SD card image using the performance of the Linux box it's running on. That way you don't need to cross-compile but just compile within the chroot. And yes, you could also build a cross-compiler for Linux using Yocto.

• 4. Re: Has anyone managed to get the Dart language to run on Galileo?
                Rushang.Karia

Hi Copernicus,

mhahn gave some pretty useful steps to do.

Regarding the cross-compiler for Galileo, refer to the Board Support Build Guide found at Intel Galileo (Gen 1) Development Board Documents

It is pretty easy to build.

You get a uclibc toolchain which is present in the arduino IDE. So if you need uclibc just download the arduino IDE. I am not sure if all the headers are there though. My guess is that they should be.

Regarding Ubuntu 14.04, I do not know of anyone who has managed to build the cross-compiler using that version. Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit has been verified to work. 12.04 32-bit has also been verified to work but has a bug which you must take care of first. { Search it on the intel pages }.

Check out AlexT_Intels webpage and blogs. A lot of useful info over there

• 5. Re: Has anyone managed to get the Dart language to run on Galileo?
                  mhahn

@ Yocto build: had a quick look at Dart - I guess it's not completely straightforward to build a bb recipe with dependency on depot-tools gclient and gyp.

@ cross compiler: set up might be a bit tricky (you might have to Yocto build your cross-compiler, e.g. if you have an eglibc based image and hence you won't be able to use the cross compiler contained in Arduino IDE.

@ chroot option: probably easiest to setup