13 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2015 5:05 AM by Jules

DN2820FYKH Installing Windows 8 pro 64 over Windows 7 pro 64 stuck at 'Getting Devices Ready'

PGNL

I am hoping someone can help. (Sorry this is a bit long)

I recently bought an Intel DN2820FYKH NUC (latest BIOS 0034)which seems great. I have been trying to install Windows 8 upgrade on it, to enable me to use it as a Home Theatre PC. I bought the heavily discounted version of Windows 8 Upgrade when it came out 18 months or so ago, I tried it out then and hated it after messing with the interface for 30 minutes and struggled to find the basics. So stuck with Windows 7. However, I do like to try to keep up to date with Windows (as I get asked stuff all the time) and know there have been 'improvements', so thought I would give it a try.

I have installed Windows 7 Pro 64 bit on the NUC (after following the advice on the right BIOS settings on the various posts here), however I can't get the Windows 8 64 bit Upgrade to install, it freezes each time, at hardware detection ('Getting Devices Ready 79%) after two or three reboots. I've tried it using a USB install (using the MS USB boot disk creator), a DVD install and also using the Microsoft online upgrade link which downloads the full version direct to Windows 7.

I know Windows 8 will work on the NUC as I have a Win 8.1 Pro volume licence, that installed perfectly via a USB stick, but I understand that MS won't allow Windows Media Center to be installed on the VL version, which is why I have reverted back to my earlier upgrade purchase.

I have left the machine on all night during the install process in the hope it would continue to progress, but it didn't. I suspect it may be because of a specific UEFI BIOS setting. I have been using and installing Windows for over 20 years, so am pretty familiar with the process, but don't have the technical knowledge to understand UEFI or the more complex BIOS settings. Its very frustrating, I have run the MS Windows 8 program that checks your hardware and software pre-install and it found nothing, I have run Chkdsk within Win7 pro to scan the HDD for errors, no problems. If it really is this difficult, then I think peoples interest in Windows will continue to plummet, not only is Win 8 a huge change, but it seems it is nigh on impossible to install. I have searched the web extensively to no avail, I see many have had similar issues, some related to memory, but I know the NUC works with 8.1 Pro.

The only good news is that each time it fails it does manage to successfully restore Windows 7, is Microsoft trying to tell me something?

I really do hate stuff that doesn't work, can anyone help me here?

Thanks

Patrick

UK

• 1. Re: DN2820FYKH Installing Windows 8 pro 64 over Windows 7 pro 64 stuck at 'Getting Devices Ready'
          allan_intel

Thanks for joining the NUC community.

I understand you have been trying to install Windows 8 64 bit via upgrade but it gets stuck while getting devices ready.

I have been able to install Windows 8 using an USB thumb drive and DVD ROM. Is there any change you try full Windows disk instead of an upgrade installation?

Please let me know your findings.

Allan.

• 2. Re: DN2820FYKH Installing Windows 8 pro 64 over Windows 7 pro 64 stuck at 'Getting Devices Ready'
            PGNL

Thanks for the message Allan.

The only version I have (that will allow Windows media Center) is an upgrade version and that won't work with a full Windows disk, I understand.

To be honest I am at a loss. Starting with a fresh Windows 7 Pro installation fully updated via Windows update and using the Windows 7 drivers found on the Intel website. I use a USB mouse and keyboard connected to the rear ports.

I have tried updating using:

1. the original MS windows 8 pro 64 upgrade disk in a Liteon USB DVDRW drive.

2. using the upgrade link on the MS website that enables you to download the installation process direct, I have also tried using that process but saving it to a boot USB stick.

Whatever I do, it freezes at between 67-79% at 'Getting Devices Ready' after the second reboot.

I've tried disabling, the graphics, Ethernet, Wifi and bluetooth drivers in Windows 7 beforehand.

I've also tried disabling the power saving option in the BIOS (which is set to Windows 7 boot option)

I have tried various different clean boots at least 12 times now to no avail. Seemingly nothing will work. The strange thing is I have a Volume Licence for Windows 8.1 pro and that installed perfectly first time, but I can't use that version because MS won't allow you to use Windows Media Center with a volume licence.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Patrick

UK

• 3. Re: DN2820FYKH Installing Windows 8 pro 64 over Windows 7 pro 64 stuck at 'Getting Devices Ready'
              allan_intel

Thanks for the information. This is a strange situation, if this getting stuck detecting devices, there should be any hardware that is interfering the process, try removing any extra hardware like WiFi card, remove it physically from the NUC and test it.

Allan.

• 4. Re: DN2820FYKH Installing Windows 8 pro 64 over Windows 7 pro 64 stuck at 'Getting Devices Ready'
                PGNL

Thanks for the reply and the suggestion Allan.

I have done as suggested and temporarily removed the internal Wi-fi card (there's nothing else I can take out, the remaining devices are integrated into the motherboard) andI  then retried installing via USB (which was created from the MS web link download and not from the DVD), it got slightly further this time - but stopped at 'Getting Devices Ready' 84% with absolutely no HDD movement (light stays off). I have left it on overnight at this point - to no avail - before, so see no value in waiting to see if it recovers.

I have tried pulling out the USB mouse and keyboard plugs too but this doesn't help either.

I have now rebooted and hopefully it will revert back to Windows 7 Pro like it has done the last 12 times!

Any other suggestions gratefully received.

Regards

Patrick

UK

• 5. Re: DN2820FYKH Installing Windows 8 pro 64 over Windows 7 pro 64 stuck at 'Getting Devices Ready'
                  allan_intel

I am sorry to hear that your NUC still not working. At this stage, please contact Intel for any warranty option:

www.intel.com/chat

Allan.

• 6. Re: DN2820FYKH Installing Windows 8 pro 64 over Windows 7 pro 64 stuck at 'Getting Devices Ready'
                    PGNL

A very disappointing response, as I don't believe the unit is faulty. I have cross posted this query to the MS CS forum too and they have suggested I contact yourselves for Intel 'patches or firmware fixes', in other words, they don't know either.

Its a new product (been out less than a year)

It works perfectly on Windows 7 pro 64

It works perfectly on a Windows 8.1 Pro VL licence

But it won't work with a Windows 7 pro 64 upgraded using a MS 8 Pro upgrade licence.

I don't get it. Anyway, I will stick with Windows 7 Pro as no doubt have millions of Windows customers before me, disenchanted with a poorly though out product like Windows 8.

Thanks for your help anyway.

Patrick UK

• 7. Re: DN2820FYKH Installing Windows 8 pro 64 over Windows 7 pro 64 stuck at 'Getting Devices Ready'
                      allan_intel

I am sorry to hear your computer still not working correctly. Thanks for your feedback

Allan.

• 8. Re: DN2820FYKH Installing Windows 8 pro 64 over Windows 7 pro 64 stuck at 'Getting Devices Ready'
                        17jeevansingh

First I would like to know that is you, from where you purchase Windows upgrade.

Many times people cheat us and provide fake products.I am the one who suffer.

TRY TO INSTALL COMPLETE FULL VERSION instead of upgrade,(use trial software only for testing )

Second, you says that you are sure that it will works in your system,I suggest that you should run windows compatibility software for knowing it actually compatibility.

third, If you run above software and find it satisfactory then contact the system manufacture.

Thank you.

• 9. Re: DN2820FYKH Installing Windows 8 pro 64 over Windows 7 pro 64 stuck at 'Getting Devices Ready'
                          Wurst

Frankly, installing Windows on this machine for HTPC use isn't the greatest idea anyway.

Better use a Linux distribution, either OpenELEC or XBMCbuntu, or take a "normal" one like Ubuntu and install XBMC and stuff on it.

You'll get a much less annoying, more stable & unobtrusive system which is totally customizable to your personal needs.

• 10. Re: DN2820FYKH Installing Windows 8 pro 64 over Windows 7 pro 64 stuck at 'Getting Devices Ready'
                            provo44

Hi,

Before you send the NUC back try a clean install. Clean off the SSD and try to install the Windows upgrade.

Last January I did a clean install of  Windows 8 upgrade and it works fine. I get all the patches and now have beenupgraded to Windows 8.1.

Have run Ubuntu live on the NUC and that works fine.

I know that the technical pubs don't say anything positive about W8 but I'm comfortable with it.

• 11. Re: DN2820FYKH Installing Windows 8 pro 64 over Windows 7 pro 64 stuck at 'Getting Devices Ready'
                              PGNL

Frankly, installing Windows on this machine for HTPC use isn't the greatest idea anyway.

Better use a Linux distribution, either OpenELEC or XBMCbuntu, or take a "normal" one like Ubuntu and install XBMC and stuff on it.

You'll get a much less annoying, more stable & unobtrusive system which is totally customizable to your personal needs.

Thanks for your reply. I do partially agree with you and have carefully considered the linux options. I have Raspxbmc on a Raspberry Pi and don't find it very user friendly. I may swap the disk out and give a go anyway though.

Cheers

Patrick

• 12. Re: DN2820FYKH Installing Windows 8 pro 64 over Windows 7 pro 64 stuck at 'Getting Devices Ready'
                                PGNL

Before you send the NUC back try a clean install. Clean off the SSD and try to install the Windows upgrade.

Last January I did a clean install of  Windows 8 upgrade and it works fine. I get all the patches and now have beenupgraded to Windows 8.1.

Have run Ubuntu live on the NUC and that works fine.

I know that the technical pubs don't say anything positive about W8 but I'm comfortable with it.

I shan't be sending the NUC back as I don't actually believe the unit is faulty, I've decided to stick with Win7 on it for the moment, but can swap out the HDD/SDD at a later time. One thing I did discover is using the Windows 8 Pro upgrade MS won't actually allow you to do a clean install, if you try, it tells you to run the program from within Windows. If you pick the advanced options and delete the partitions and retry, similarly it tells you have no windows installation to upgrade. I would be interested to know how you managed it. I understand that this changed with Windows 8.1 pro presumably because of all the complaints!

Thanks for the reply

Patrick

• 13. Re: DN2820FYKH Installing Windows 8 pro 64 over Windows 7 pro 64 stuck at 'Getting Devices Ready'
                                  Jules

Hi, registered to say I have the exact same problem; same NUC, going from Win7 to 8, same error, etc. Solved it by doing two things, don't know which one did it:

- disabled UEFI boot

- under advanced -> boot -> boot configuration -> UEFI boot, changed OS selection from Windows 7 to Windows 8.1.

As this second option should be obsolete because of the first change, it's most probably the first one.

Hope this helps. I was at a loss too when trying to fix this. Reïnstalled Windows 8 using the Custom method, clearing all partitions, many times before I found the solution. Also updated to latest BIOS but that did not help. Also tried a different partitioning method to no avail.