11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2014 2:58 PM by sylvia_intel

Intel DQ87PG PCI-Express 3.0 compatibility issue?

kirkflipper

Hi guys. Recently I upgraded to Haswell system. My Intel DQ87PG cannot work with Gigabyte HD 7850 GV-R785OC-2GD (rev 1.0) . The motherboard will beep twice, pause and beep twice (indicating no graphic card detected). I have tested it on Gigabyte G41-Combo and it works. I have also tested another graphic card (HD 5670 & HD 6870) on the Intel DQ87PG and they work. I have flashed both the Intel DQ87PG and the GV-R785OC-2GD to the latest bios and still nothing happen. Is there any compatibility issue between them? How to solve this?

My Intel® System Identification Utility ref: 0260 7653.

Any help would be much appreciated.

• 1. Re: Intel DQ87PG PCI-Express 3.0 compatibility issue?
          sylvia_intel

Hello Kirkflipper, I’m sorry for the inconvenience that you have faced with your system and the video card.

At this point since you already tested 2 video cards on the board, and they are working as expected, this is for sure a compatibility problem.

Bear in mind that we try to make our products compatible to many third party components as possible, but we cannot always guarantee compatibility with all of them.

The recommendation I can give is to roll back to a previous BIOS version since you have the latest one already installed.

You can also check with Gigabyte if they have plans on releasing a firmware update for this video card.

This is the list of tested peripherals with this specific motherboard.  Intel® Desktop Board DQ87PG — Tested peripherals    

Just in case these are the latest video drives for your system, if you would like to install them and test the system after.

• 2. Re: Intel DQ87PG PCI-Express 3.0 compatibility issue?
            kirkflipper

Dear Syvia,

I have forwarded the inquiry to Intel customer support and waiting for their reply.

As we both know, the list of tested peripherals are way out of date. Not even a single PCIE 3.0 card is tested.

Why would user want to use old gen of graphics on Intel second latest technology?

The firmware on the GV-R785OC-2GD is the latest.The card also does not have any problem running on other system. And Gigabyte is also trying to claim no responsibility on this case, which is similar to what Intel is doing now.

Too bad I do not have extra resources (PCIE 3.0 Graphic Card or Motherboard) to confirms which is the culprit. But I believe Intel with all the resources can do something to test.

I will try to roll back the driver as suggested and test yet again.

• 3. Re: Intel DQ87PG PCI-Express 3.0 compatibility issue?
              kirkflipper

Dear Sylvia,

I rolled back the bios and installed the latest driver, yet again same result, no display detected.

I read around and found that older Intel boards also got issue with new gen graphic cards.

Isn't there any solution/firnware update to solve these compatibility issues?

Would Intel rather user change to other brands?

• 4. Re: Intel DQ87PG PCI-Express 3.0 compatibility issue?
                sylvia_intel

I was checking a coworker system and he is using a DZ87KLT motherboard with a NVIDIA GeForce GTX650 graphics card without problems.

The system has the latest BIOS version and latest Graphics drivers.

However, I’m going to test the GTX650 on a DQ87PG board and I will let you know my results.

• 5. Re: Intel DQ87PG PCI-Express 3.0 compatibility issue?
                  sylvia_intel

I just finished testing two video cards on the motherboard DQ87PG.

I was trying to replicate your issue and checking our inventory, luckily I found the same video card you are using.

This motherboard was using BIOS version 0145 and then I updated the BIOS to the latest version available 0147. The lab was succeed because I got video without problem.

At this point, and since you were able to use two 2.0 video card on your motherboard, I would recommend you testing the Gigabyte HD 7850 video card on another system. It is the only way to find out if it is defective.

• 6. Re: Intel DQ87PG PCI-Express 3.0 compatibility issue?
                    kirkflipper

Dear Sylvia,

I will try to update to BIOS version 0145 and test again.

So I believe I am left with two options:

1. Test the Gigabyte HD 7850 GV-R785OC-2GD (rev 1.0) on other PCIE 3.0 capable motherboard. If It could boot it means that the PCIE slot on the Intel DQ87PG is faulty. If it couldn't boot then the card is faulty.

2. Test other HD 7xxx or any card with PCIE 3.0 capability on the Intel DQ87PG. If it could boot that means my Gigabyte HD 7850 is faulty. If it couldn't boot than the board is faulty.

Either way I will need to fork out around 100 bucks (RM300++) just to find capable PCIE 3.0 card or board to verify the problem. Is there any support center in Malaysia that I can visit and bring my motherboard and graphic to test?

Thanks

• 7. Re: Intel DQ87PG PCI-Express 3.0 compatibility issue?
                      kirkflipper

Dear Sylvia,

No, BIOS 0145 does not work too.

I am tired or doing trial and error for weeks, I guess I should RMA both the board and the card.

• 8. Re: Intel DQ87PG PCI-Express 3.0 compatibility issue?
                        kirkflipper

Dear Sylvia,

I have brought the Card to a nearby PC shop earlier today, and the technician tested the card in a Z77 motherboard with PCIE 3.0 slot, and it worked. I was able to boot into bios.

So I believe this verifies that my Gigabyte GV-R785OC-2GD has no issue running in either PCIE 2.0 or PCIE 3.0 capable motherboard.

Can you advise the procedure of RMA process for Malaysia?

Thanks

• 9. Re: Intel DQ87PG PCI-Express 3.0 compatibility issue?
                          sylvia_intel

Please get in touch with our Warranty Department so they can help you to replace the unit: http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/contactsupport

• 10. Re: Intel DQ87PG PCI-Express 3.0 compatibility issue?
                            kirkflipper

Dear Sylvia,

Can you kindly provide me the photo proof of the exact card Gigabyte GV-R785OC-2GD (rev 1.0) and the exact Intel board DQ87PG running together successfully?

(eg: snapshot of cpuz/gpuz side by side)

I want to show it to the Intel support personnel that is communicating with me regarding the issue.

Thanks.

• 11. Re: Intel DQ87PG PCI-Express 3.0 compatibility issue?
                              sylvia_intel

No problem, however I would need to put everything together again since I turn all the devices back to the lab.

Could you please send me a private message with your service ticket?

Regards,

Silvia L