14 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2014 6:37 AM by selva.neuro

Need EVM for PB31309

selva.neuro

Hi ,

we would like to have PB31309 for our product .

I did`t find any datasheet / user manual for this BT module .

I am also looking for EVM to evaluate this BT module .

• 1. Re: Need EVM for PB31309
          flummer

Hi,

I'm not sure this is exactly what you are looking at, but the Panasonic PAN1322 seems like pretty close: http://www.panasonic.com/industrial/includes/pdf/electronic-components/Panasonic_PAN1322_Design_Guide.pdf

/Thomas

• 2. Re: Need EVM for PB31309
            selva.neuro

Hi ,

Thanks for your reply …

The pan1322 uses PMB8754.

I have found this (PB31309) at this link.

It looks like a new module from Intel.

I didn`t find datasheet, application note for this module.

• 3. Re: Need EVM for PB31309
              flummer

Hi,

Maybe I have mixed up the product numbers a bit, but try having a look at page 52 in the PDF I linked to above, that sure looks like the PBA31309 module.

From the description at Mouser (http://in.mouser.com/new/Intel/intel-pba31309-bluetooth-module/) the PBA31309 module is based on the PMB8754 eBMU with a bunch of extra stuff added to make it a module.

My guess is that Intel has this from Panasonic or maybe it's a collaborative effort... I don't know.

/Thomas

• 4. Re: Need EVM for PB31309
                selva.neuro

Hi Thanks ,

looks valid .

But we would like to use PBA31309 for our product .

looking for Datasheet,Design guide & application note for PBA31309 .

I prefer PBA31309 since it is cheaper than PAN1322.

• 5. Re: Need EVM for PB31309
                  flummer

I would recommend contacting Mouser, they should be able to get you the needed documents or solid confirmation that these modules are identical, especially if you want to buy a lot of these modules from them, they have almost 1500 on stock ;-)

/Thomas

• 6. Re: Need EVM for PB31309
                    selva.neuro

Hi ,

we are in touch with Mouser as well

still they are not able to get the required information from Intel

Is it possible to take  intel support people/FAE help for this

• 7. Re: Need EVM for PB31309
                      JPT

Hi Flummer, PBA31309 (commercial name eUnistone) is a Bluetooth 2.1 Module with integrated antenna implementing the Serial Port Profile for control via UART commands. The Bluetooth chip inside is Intel's PMB8754, a legacy from our Infineon buy-in. The PAN1322 is a licenced copy of the same. Whichever you chose, Intel wins ;-)

• 8. Re: Need EVM for PB31309
                        flummer

Hi JPT,

That's pretty close to what I imagined. Do you know if specs and API are identical between the two different SKUs?

/Thomas

• 9. Re: Need EVM for PB31309
                          JPT

Yes, the two modules are technically identical, also the AT command set to control the module over UART is the same. The brand might make a difference regarding price, distribution chain, delivery conditions, local support.

• 10. Re: Need EVM for PB31309
                            selva.neuro

We bought PAN1322  EVM & we are evaluating the module .

It works properly with our android tab which has Bluetooth version 2.0 .

While using it with android tab which has Bluetooth version 4.0

I am getting sniff mode confirmation & sniff sub rating event continuously .

We need high data rate .

So we don't want sniff mode .

Is there any way to switch off this sniff mode confirmation & sniff sub rating reply.

I am getting this while during data transfer as well .

I have gone through at command set

The command to switch off this sniff mode is

AT+JSNF=0002,0002,0000,000F,0

So the last byte is for switching  off the sniff mode (0-on 1-off).

I have tried the above command , sometimes I am getting err – 2 . sometimes I am not getting any reply .
                            But even after sending this command I am getting those two response .

We doesn`t have any issue in ignoring those two response from Host controller side . But since it is going into sniff mode .

We want high data throughput .  we don’t want data latency to be high .

• 11. Re: Need EVM for PB31309
                              flummer

Hi,

I'm not a bluetooth expert, so some of this is over my head, but am I understanding you correctly, that you want to use the module in version 2.x mode on both tablets (the module only does version 2.1, right?), but that you are getting additional events when using the newer tablet that has support for BT version 4.0, but without using these 4.0 capabilities?

Do you think it's the module, or could it be the subsystem on the tablet that's a bit verbose or something similar?

Just ideas/guesses!

/Thomas

• 12. Re: Need EVM for PB31309
                                selva.neuro

This sniff mode is added in BT 2.1 only .

While using it with tablet having BT2.0 . I am not facing any problem .

While using this module with 4.0 the tablet is giving this request .

There is no mode called 2.x .

From BT2.1  Active/sniff/park/hold  mode are available .

sniff , park & hold used to save power by switching  off BT radio when there is no data transfer .

I am getting the sniff request from tablet continuously ..

Its kind of  master/slave communication .

They both will exchange the various parameter like minimum time interval/maximum interval  to stay in sniff mode.

I am looking for command for this module .

which can completely keep the module in active mode  or increase the request time interval for  sniff mode to be high .

I have tried commands to switch off the sniff mode , But i did`t any ACK from module .

Looking for Intel or panasonic FAE`s who can help us in this problem .

• 13. Re: Need EVM for PB31309
                                  flummer

Hi,

Thanks for explaining, I learned something new today!

But sorry, can't help you on that ;-)

/Thomas

• 14. Re: Need EVM for PB31309
                                    selva.neuro

It`s okay..