9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2014 9:06 AM by RELativity

mini PCI express 3g card?

RELativity

Hi...

Which 3g cards are well supported on the Galileo? I'm not interested in insanely high performance, just good linux support, reliability and low cost.

The variant I'm looking for would work with European freqs.

L

• 1. Re: mini PCI express 3g card?
          JPMontero_Intel

Hi

Currently there are no 3g cards supported and validated for the Galileo.  But if get one, we encourage you to try it and share your results with the community.
          Regards
          JPMontero_Intel

• 2. Re: mini PCI express 3g card?
            RELativity

Thanks JP, but do you know whether any have been tested, even briefly, in the lab?

I will certainly be carrying out extensive testing if I go down this route (which I will happily share with the community). However, I was hoping that I could cut to the chase and begin work with a card that someone had tried out even briefly.

• 3. Re: mini PCI express 3g card?
              JPMontero_Intel

I am not aware of any testing for this kind of card.
              Regards,
              JPMontero_Intel

• 4. Re: mini PCI express 3g card?
                wirtschaftswunder

RELativity

Myself I am at the early stage of testing ( linux compatibility at first ) for a  Qualcomm Gobi 2000

according to the following WIKI (http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Qualcomm_Gobi_2000 )

I am not a hardware person so cant tell if it is a suitable card for Intel Galileo as the only known facts to me are 3.3V and miniPCIe.

Myself I hope I can gather enough data on my test-system ( Linux host with Wine / LLVM /Quemu / Python ( socket / ctype modules ) Network Forensic (Wireshark ))

to have some comparable data for 2 systems running OpenWRT images.

1) Raspberry Pi with Dynamode WL-700-RXS WLAN

2) TP-Link TL-MR3020

So I also welcome any feedback related to 3G connectivity + Intel Galileo board

Best regards

Gottfried

• 5. Re: mini PCI express 3g card?
                  flummer

Hi,

I got two of the Ericsson F3507g Mobile Broadband Modules (Ericsson F3507g Mobile Broadband Module - ThinkWiki) and have tried to plug those into the Galileo board, and the different virtual serial ports does show up, but when I try to turn on the radio and join a cell network, the card shuts down and it looks like the USB connection is disconnected.

BUT... this is only my initial tests, I'm not done trying to get this up and running.

I have also gotten a little test board (form ebay), that allows me to connect the mini PCIe card via USB to my computer (it's only the USB connection that's brought out, nothing fancy), and in addition, it lets me put in a SIM card.

With this test setup, I have managed to join the cell network and make a simple call via the terminal on my laptop. Doing more fancy things like data connection via 3G or GPRS should be trivial once the rest is running.

What might be messing up on the Galileo board is that there is no SIM card socket, so to connect the SIM card, I have found (again on ebay) a little SIM card holder with a flex print that is tucked in between the Mini PCIe card and the socket on the Galileo, but it might not have been mounted correctly when I tested it, maybe shorted, I will need to do further testing.

It's not a solution, but I hope these notes will help a bit until I have a final verdict (success or given up ;-))

/Thomas

• 6. Re: mini PCI express 3g card?
                    RELativity

This is very encouraging Thomas - the 3507 is desirable for me because of its low cost.

I believe, but I have not confirmed it yet, that the F3507g does not work at all unless a SIM has been plugged in. If your SIM holder is not connected properly, this might explain the problems.

I think I will order a 3507 plus holder now.

• 7. Re: mini PCI express 3g card?
                      RELativity

OK folks...

I managed to get an Ericsson F3507g working with the Galileo. This card can be bought used for peanuts on ebay. It is capable of 3G and GPS but I only care about 3G.

Here is what I did to make it happen:

1. the card will not work without a SIM card. Because the card does not have a built in holder you need to buy a cheap little flex print gadget from ebay. See here for a typical example: Solderless Usim SIM Socket Holder FOR Mini PCI E Wwan Card 3G Modem NEW | eBay
                        2. Installing the SIM holder into the mPCIe socket is a little tricky - take your time. Installation photos will be supplied with the holder. The instructions are in mandarin but it should be pretty self-evident.
                        3. push the F3507 card into the mPCIe socket on top of the flex print. Click the card down into the little black prongs.
                        4. add an antenna to the socket marked "MAIN". You may need to buy a little pigtail adaptor
                        5. as regards software, I am using Debian from http://sourceforge.net/p/galileodebian/wiki/Home/ rather than Yocto. After installation, do the following:
                          1. apt-get upgrade [may not be necessary, but I did it anyway]
                          2. apt-get install pciutils
                          3. apt-get install minicom
                          4. reboot [may not be necessary, but I did it anyway]
                          5. ls /dev/ttyACM* - if you see devices, the card is recognized by the kernel
                          6. apt-get install sysfsutils  wvdial
                          7. Put the following content into /etc/wvdial.conf:

[Dialer Defaults]

Modem = /dev/ttyS1

; Baud = 115200

; Init1 = ATZ

; Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 S11=55 +FCLASS=0

; Phone = 555-1212

; Username = my_login_name

; Password = my_login_password

[Dialer 3G]

Modem = /dev/ttyACM0

Init1 = AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","internet"

Stupid mode = 1

phone= *99#

Username = gprs

Password = GPIs

You will need to change 'internet' to whatever your APN is. You will also need to change the username and password entries to suit your 3G provider - the entries above are O2 Ireland standard settings.

Now issue the following command:

wvdial 3G

Hopefully the card will dial up and if you do an ifconfig in a seperate window, you should see a 'pppd0' interface ready to be configured.

I'm still not done with this as I need to figure out how to ensure that the connection is reestablished in the event of a break, etc. I also need to optimise the wvdial.conf file.

Hopefully, this will help some of you folks out there. If you want more information on this stuff, you might want to take a look at Ericsson F3507g Mobile Broadband Module - ThinkWiki. It contains information on getting an F3507 working on a thinkpad but much of it is relevant.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: mini PCI express 3g card?
                        flummer

That's cool, I gotta give it another try, have the same parts, so it should be possible.

Have you also tried to dial a phone number or send a text/SMS message?

/Thomas

• 9. Re: mini PCI express 3g card?
                          RELativity

I haven't done any voice dialling or SMSs yet.

SMSs are of interest to me. There is something called wammu (Wammu and Gammu) which seems to be able to help here, but I haven't used it yet.