5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2009 8:37 AM by chaircrusher

What sata host driver for dp45sg board

H_Lane

I'm trying to install Windows XP pro SP2 on a new computer that I have installed a single seagate sata 1 TB hard drive on. Windows begins to load but then after reboot and appearing to load files it stops with a blue screen. The documentation only instructs me to install the driver on the floppy if I am setting up a raid, but according to all the info I'm seeing on the web windows does not have a sata host driver on it and I need to install a driver from the floppy. My problem is I don't know which driver to install, it list 4 different driver when I do the old F6 & S deal at the beginning of the windows setup. Please help.

• 1. Re: What sata host driver for dp45sg board
          PeterUK

Your SATA port are likely running in AHCI mode if you go into the BIOS you can change this to IDE or SATA mode for your SATA ports and you will not need drivers for windows.

If you wanted to run in AHCI mode download the RAID drivers:

I recommend 8.8.0.1009 at this point:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProductID=2101&DwnldID=17413&strOSs=All&OSFullName=All Operating Systems&lang=eng

Put files on floppy disk and press F6 during the windows install.

On selection use “Intel(R) ICH10R SATA AHCI Controller” or to be RAID ready use “Intel(R) ICH8R/ICH9R/ICH10R/DO SATA RAID Controller” if SATA is set to RAID.

• 2. Re: What sata host driver for dp45sg board
            H_Lane

I checked and double checked the settings in my bios, it was set to Native and IDE. I think the problem may have been that the hard drive had been set up in raid that was dismantled. I purchased a new hard drive and was able to set windows XP SP2 up on it, however it the install aborted in the middle though I was able to recover it.

After install the system was very unstable. As I installed drivers & programs it got worse and worse. When I would do a reboot I would get an error message and instructed to use the install disk and the R option at the first screen. I found if I did that all I needed to do was go into the R option, choose the installation, enter my admin password, and then type exit without actually doing any repairs. The machine would then reboot into windows.

After a few of those reboots the keyboard stopped working, it worked fine in the bios start up but as soon as windows loaded it wouldn't work anymore. After pouring over the community messages with no luck I decided to do a fresh reinstall of windows.

This time windows installed without a hitch, but things still seem like they could get a little flaky. Everything is working again, but it just doesn't seem stable. I updated the bios, the chipset, and the Lan driver. I attempted to update the sound driver but was instructed that my system didn't have the correct hardware. The sound is working but I don't have the monitor/program for some reason this time.

During one of the rebbots for something I installed I caught a quick glimsp of the blue screen as the computer was shuting down. I fully expected it to not reboot, but it did. Once during a reboot it started into windows and then did an auto-reboot, however it did boot into windows this time too. So this is why I'm saying things still could be kind of flaky.

I've read a couple things about disabling S.M.A.R.T. on the boards here saying it can cause problems with a large sata drive, know anything about that?

Any suggestions that might make my system more reliable/stable? here is my configuration

Intel motherboard DP45SG

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Processor

Ultra LSP650-Watt Power supply

Corsair XMS3 DHX 2048 Dual Channel PC10600 DDR3 1333MHz Memory (2x1024MB) I have 4 of these giving me 4 gig

Seagate SATA 3.5" Barracuda 1TB  32MB Cache 7200 RPM

Sparkle GeForce 9600 GT video card 1024MB DDR3, PCI Express 2.0

Sony DRU-V200S/BR DVD Rewritable, SATA - 20x

Logitech USB Mouse & Keyboard

Thanks for any help you can give. I sure don't want to go through loading all of my software on this thing again only to have it go down on me again. I use this computer to edit video and nothing else.

Thanks in advance

• 3. Re: What sata host driver for dp45sg board
              PeterUK

I read Ultra are not the best of PSU for a stable setup....

Increase the RAM Voltage.

Have the 4 pin molex (by the PCI-e slot) plugged in by your PSU.

Hope that helps make it more stable.

• 4. Re: What sata host driver for dp45sg board
                H_Lane

I will try your 2 suggestions first and then replace the power supply if I'm still having problems. Any suggestions on a better power supply?

I'm relatively new at this (actually I'm working with young Native Americans teaching them video & photography skills in a non-profit situation & that is why I'm trying to build & make this computer work on my own because there is no money to just go out and purchase one) Anyway...

Can you explain to me how to increase the RAM voltage? I'm guessing it's through the bios, but I'm not sure how to do it.

When you say, "Have the 4 pin molex (by the PCI-e slot) plugged in by your PSU."are you saying to have it plugged in on the shortest cable coming from the PSU?

*NOTE* I noticed that in the BIOS that it is recognizing the 4 Gb of RAM I have installed, but on my computer properties in windows it is only recognizing 3.24 Gb. Does that mean anything to you?

By the way, thanks for your willingness to help!

• 5. Re: What sata host driver for dp45sg board
                  chaircrusher

Windows XP is a 32 bit operating system. 32 Bit CPU architecture is limited to 4Gigabytes of memory addressing.  Devices like video cards need to be mapped into this 4 GB address space along with RAM, so the total RAM reported is decreased by the amount of address space needed by other devices. The most memory you'll see available in a 32 bit operating system is about 3.5 gig.

Note that Windows Vista 32-bit will report 4 Gigabytes.  It can't actually access all 4 Gigabytes; it is just fibbing so that people won't ask questions like this.