1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2016 4:07 PM by N.Scott.Pearson

Intel DX79SI Xeon E5-2600 v2 Support?

chris_h

Does the Intel DX79SI support the new Xeon E5-2600v2 Processors? I would like to upgrade to a 2690v2, to be precise. I am not sure if it will be supported by this board and dont want to ruin anything. On the official Site (http://processormatch.intel.com/Processors/CompatibleProcessors?componentName=dx79si) it doesnt give any detailed information about the v2 series.

Thank you!

• 1. Re: Intel DX79SI Xeon E5-2600 v2 Support?
          chris_h

Does the Board even support the Xeon 2690v1? It doesn´t differentiate from the 2680 by a lot, TDP is (almost) the same.

• 2. Re: Intel DX79SI Xeon E5-2600 v2 Support?

Hi chris_h,

Let me help you with this.

At this point, based on the information I have checked it seems that the processors in mentioned (Xeon 2690v2 and  Xeon 2690v1) are not supported by this system.

Here you can check the compatibility chart:

http://processormatch.intel.com/Processors/CompatibleProcessors?componentName=DX79SI

• 3. Re: Intel DX79SI Xeon E5-2600 v2 Support?
              chris_h

Hi Kevin!

First up thank you for your reply and time.

I decided to play a bit with the processormatch page. The problem I want to point out is that as I was looking at it, I realised that it does not contain any Xeon 2600v2 Processors, nor some of the 2600v1 Processors as options (see Processors Family). This may be a reason it is not listing the 2690, instead of it simply not being compatible.

• 4. Re: Intel DX79SI Xeon E5-2600 v2 Support?

Yes I understand and It is a good point but the list is updated so I regret to say that if the processor is not listed means that is not compatible yet with the board.

• 5. Re: Intel DX79SI Xeon E5-2600 v2 Support?
                  chris_h

No Problem, it´s not your fault at all. I built the Processor in anyways and it´s running fine. I can post a few BIOS screenshots if it helps.

• 6. Re: Intel DX79SI Xeon E5-2600 v2 Support?

All information and feedback is welcome to improve our service!

Thank You.

Kevin M

• 7. Re: Intel DX79SI Xeon E5-2600 v2 Support?
                      Eugene1956

By the way - can You upload BIOS ROM image for DX79SI so that I can flash the SPI chip om EPROM programmer? It will help a lot if BIOS update fails somehow

• 8. Re: Intel DX79SI Xeon E5-2600 v2 Support?
                        N.Scott.Pearson

No! Don't do this!

The ROM image is "branded" for the board that it is running on. If you take this image to another board, this board will then have the same branding - the same serial number, the same UUID, the same MAC address (for primary Ethernet port), etc. Intel does not provide tools for changing the branding and, because the BIOS is secured, no other tools out there can make these changes.

I would never send my ROM image to anyone else - and I recommend everyone else take the same stance. You do not want someone else running a system that impersonates yours...

...S

• 9. Re: Intel DX79SI Xeon E5-2600 v2 Support?
                          N.Scott.Pearson

I also forgot to mention: Intel does not release BIOSs images in any ROM format (ever!). All BIOS releases are in a secured (encrypted and compressed) format.

If you would like to use a flash programmer to make a backup of the firmware image, you can do so - but only use it for restoring your own system in an emergency...

• 10. Re: Intel DX79SI Xeon E5-2600 v2 Support?
                            Eugene1956

Hello, Cris

I flashed the latest BIOS and used Xeon 1620 v2 - it doesn't work. BIOS has ME firmware  version 7.***, so it cannot work with Ivy Bridge. I cannot understand why Intel could not write a version for Ivy Bridge for such an expensive MB. It is the only brand that has not done it.

• 11. Re: Intel DX79SI Xeon E5-2600 v2 Support?
                              Eugene1956

If BIOS update is interrupted, then only programmer will help. Intel is the only brand that does not release BIOS rom images - all other do it. It is easy to extract rom image from Asus .cap file. What is the reason for such a security - I cannot understand. At least Intel could release minimal image file with boot block - then after flashing I can recover BIOS via recovery procedure. This would help customers a lot. Also I cannot understand why Intel X79 motherboards does not support Intel Ivy Bridge CPU while all other brands do. It is unreasonable at least and so easy for Intel to write a new BIOS. Simply change ME firmware version from 7 to 8.

• 12. Re: Intel DX79SI Xeon E5-2600 v2 Support?
                                Eugene1956

Cris, You wrote "I built the Processor in anyways and it´s running fine. I can post a few BIOS screenshots if it helps." .  Please post CPU-Z screenshots, I cannot make v2 Xeon running

• 13. Re: Intel DX79SI Xeon E5-2600 v2 Support?
                                  N.Scott.Pearson

In order to build a proper root of trust, you have to have the system secured against the flash contents being tampered with. If it can be tampered with, there simply is no root of trust. Most board vendors don't give d@mn and ship the system in many cases wide open to these kinds of attacks - and the world is either ignorant of the fact or choose to ignore it for cost reasons. Intel does not compromise on security. If the existing BIOS cannot verify that the updates are legitimate, they don't get installed, period.

Regarding the second issue, you are dead wrong; it is most definitely *not* as simple as you think it is. Adding support for a processor means updates for BIOS support of the ME, updates for the now-cross-generation MRC, updates to the microcode updates being managed, etc. and etc. - not to mention the significant (and costly) validation effort that would be necessary. Secondly, and more important, Intel exited the Desktop Boards business a number of years ago - long enough that, quite simply, there is no one left who could do any changes or handle the validation. Even if there were, these boards are well past their end-of-life and end-of-interactive-support dates, so changes like this wouldn't be happening anyway.

Sorry, this is reality...

...S

• 14. Re: Intel DX79SI Xeon E5-2600 v2 Support?
                                    Eugene1956

As for the first statement, it seems a big exaggeration. Full protection is not to use anything  but we must think about work more than about defense. At least today most attacks use programs and OS, not BIOS.

As for the second statement - there are 1000 reasons not to do the necessary work and only one  - to do it. If all the brands but Intel manage these difficulties - why Intel cannot? Updates in microcode are written by Intel for every CPU and are sent to all brands, updates in ME are also written continiously, and the only work is to change the old version in BIOS. The last BIOS version for DX79SI was published in 2014, when Ivy Bridge CPU were widely spread. That is why Intel desktop motherboards are known as reliable but very inconvenient.

1 2 Previous Next