4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 2, 2014 7:16 AM by djuju

Z97 USB port routing

djuju

Hello,

I need to use 2 USB 2.0 devices using each 280Mbps at the same time. In plain English, I need to have access to 2 USB 2.0 controllers.

Z87 motherboards (MB) BIOSs offered the ability of routing individual USB ports to XHCI or EHCI controllers (using the "Intel USB 3.0 mode" in manual mode). Of course, it was very convenient for my needs.

I tried out several models of Z97 motherboards (Asus, AsRock, Gigabyte), and the Intel USB 3.0 manual mode disappeared. The only way we found out to have access to the 2 USB 2.0 controllers is to disable USB 3.0 controller.

Is it a limitation of Z97 chipset or MB manufacturers didn't implement this feature yet ?

Is it possible to fine tune the USB 3.0 Host Controller Switch Driver to force a specific USB routing strategy ?

Is there any way to force USB ports or devices routing to a USB 2.0 controller under Windows 7 pro ? Or maybe under Windows 8.1, using MS USB 3.0 driver ?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Z97 USB port routing
          kevin_intel

Hi djuju,

Let me help you with this.

At this point the configuration you are looking depends on the Computer Manufacture since we just provide the hardware to them so I think a good step is to confirm directly with the manufacture of the board to confirm if the feature has been enabled by them at this point or not.

This may be something that developers can help you with so I also recommend you posting your question at this link for other developers help you:

https://software.intel.com/

Kevin M

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Z97 USB port routing
            warren_intel

Djuju,

I'm not quite clear on why you need to disable USB 3.0 and go to EHCI.  If you load the USB3.0 driver in your OS then you should have USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 function for any devices you connect. If you only go with what bios loads I believe you will only get USB 2.0. But as Kevin pointed out BIOS settings are what the board vendor provides.

• 3. Re: Z97 USB port routing
              djuju

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for reply.

I understand that you just provide the hardware and manufacturers can decide or not to implement a feature. By the way, I'm glad to see that Intel still provide the USB port routing feature on Z97 chipset.

I'll contact Gigabyte about this and try to post on Intel's software forum. Thanks for the advise.

Using auto or smart auto mode, the "USB 3.0 Host Controller Switch Driver" is responsible to route any USB device to USB 3.0 controller if the USB 3.0 driver was loaded by the OS and to USB 2.0 controller if no USB 3.0 driver was loaded.

Is there any way to configure the "USB 3.0 Host Controller Switch Driver" to route USB 2.0 devices to EHCI controllers and USB 3.0 devices to XHCI controller ?

Julien

• 4. Re: Z97 USB port routing
                djuju

Hi Warren,

I don't need to disable USB 3.0, I need to have an access to two USB 2.0 controllers. At this point, if I keep the USB 3.0 enabled, any USB 2.0 device plugged on a USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 port will be routed to the USB 3.0 controller, so these devices will share the same 480Mbps USB 2.0 bandwidth. As we need to drive two USB 2.0 devices at the same time, using each 280Mbps, we need to have access to two USB 2.0 controllers in order to have enough bandwidth.