1 2 3 4 Previous Next 51 Replies Latest reply on Oct 7, 2014 7:39 AM by YuriR

Free Windows SDK + Galileo from Microsoft

Blackcode

Go and register on http://www.windowsondevices.com even if you previously registered there.

You will soon receive an email after with a link to input your shipping address.

Can't wait to have windows on galileo. Have Fun.

• 1. Re: Free Windows SDK + Galileo from Microsoft
          andygmb

This seems too good to be true - I've signed up for it as a python developer who has experience with the raspberry pi & arduino.

The last email I received was:

Thank you for signing up for the Windows Developer Program for IoT.  We’ll let you know when your kit has shipped.

Thank you,

Microsoft IoT Team

Does this mean I am actually going to receive one.. for free? That's awesome.

Andy

• 2. Re: Free Windows SDK + Galileo from Microsoft
            ghanashyamprabhu

andygmb     Any ideas on what's in the kit?    

• 3. Re: Free Windows SDK + Galileo from Microsoft
              andygmb

I would assume it's the normal kit, which you can find pictures of here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/brucesterling/sets/72157636182707015/

I don't know for sure though.

• 4. Re: Free Windows SDK + Galileo from Microsoft
                Blackcode

Yeap

I think that would be the hardware Kit + The software Kit also windows 8 core + sdk or who knows what else. But if it's free who cares .

• 5. Re: Free Windows SDK + Galileo from Microsoft
                  rgb

I started playing with Windows IoT on Galileo and some notes before any gets started.

First you need windows 7 with SP1 with 10 GB free, or a Windows 8 PC to develop programs. (forget windows 7 starter as problems with SP1)

You need to install Visual Studio Express which needs about 5 GB to do development and Windows Assessment and Development kit (4.5 GB) if using windows 7

Second, right now there is a rather limited API for the board. You can use some libraries from the Arduino IDE (such as LCD library) to create programs that run on  the Galileo but doesn't seem to support any on board development.

Has anyone actually got anything working yet?

rgb

• 6. Re: Free Windows SDK + Galileo from Microsoft
                    flummer

HI,

You need to install Visual Studio Express which needs about 5 GB to do development and Windows Assessment and Development kit (4.5 GB) if using windows 7

Well, The setup with Windows on the Galileo is (as I see it) specifically for those that like and probably use VS already, so the disk space for that is probably already reserved due to other reasons.

Regarding Windows Assessment and Deployment kit on Win7, you only need a tiny bit of it, and if I remember correctly, you can choose to only install that part.

Second, right now there is a rather limited API for the board. You can use some libraries from the Arduino IDE (such as LCD library) to create programs that run on  the Galileo but doesn't seem to support any on board development.

Has anyone actually got anything working yet?

It's a first release and yes, it's pretty limited. To make it nice, WiFi or Bluetooth cards needs to be supported and (almost) full .net framework support would also be good if this should connect to services online and become part of an IoT system.

I have had an LED blink, so toolchain etc. is up and running. The cool thing is that you can do debugging directly from VS, just as you do with other development in VS.

/Thomas

• 7. Re: Free Windows SDK + Galileo from Microsoft
                      AdamMiltonBarker

I have received confo that I had been selected for the V1 Development Kit from the Windows Developer Program for IoT, hopefully should have it within a few weeks.

I currently have a V1, so I am going to test out some of the samples. Are these the API's you talk about flummer / Blackcode / rgb ? Hope you don't mind the tags, link is below:

Sample Applications

• 8. Re: Free Windows SDK + Galileo from Microsoft
                        AdamMiltonBarker

Actually I looked a bit further I think maybe this is the new link for the APIs etc you are talking about.

How to Contribute

• 9. Re: Free Windows SDK + Galileo from Microsoft
                          rgb

Hi Adam

I was looking at the Sample Applications, but the How to Contribute link looks interesting.

Developing applications for Windows IoT needs a bit different mindset and a lot more resources that for Linux systems, so will have to put things on hold until can use a university PC to load Visual Studio Express and Windows Assessment and Development kit. (Visual Studio was really slow on the laptop I have and the download for the kit kept dying, probably because I am on the other side if the world.

I was just trying to warn people that they need a good system and lots of space. I am more used to dealing much smaller tool sets that turn out code measured  in Kb and bytes, 10 GB was a bit surprising.

My univeristy is on the list to get donated boards from Intel, but expect they will be Generation 2, so won't be doing much until Windows IoT version 2. :-)

regards

rgb

• 10. Re: Free Windows SDK + Galileo from Microsoft
                            flummer

Hi Adam,

That is what I have found and in addition, you can also have a look at the Git repo: ms-iot/galileo-sdk · GitHub (the Contribute page mostly talks about how to use it).

I'm looking forward to more extensive .net framework and support for WiFi cards, but until then, Win32 api's are what you can use.

/Thomas

• 11. Re: Free Windows SDK + Galileo from Microsoft
                              mrpi64

I guess that you got one? I did. I found no advantages using windows, except that you can run Win32 applications & software on it. Still, I got a free Galileo, USB-to-Ethernet converter, ethernet cable and LED!

• 12. Re: Free Windows SDK + Galileo from Microsoft
                                AdamMiltonBarker

Hi I am going to set the board I get from Microsoft up on my newest machine so hopefully will be good on that side, I already use Visual Studio Express and I tried to get the initial app opened but got an error message, I will check out what the message means and if not write a post here about.

On the email I received informing me about the kit, it  mentioned that the board was a V1, as far as I know all the boards are V1 but I could be mistaken on that.

• 13. Re: Free Windows SDK + Galileo from Microsoft
                                  AdamMiltonBarker

hi Flummer thanks. I found that last night as well Its cool I will have a play with WIN32, I am just having issues getting the IoT app to open up in VS Express 2013.

I got an email last night from the IoT program saying we could set up Windows on our existing boards, and sent some links to downloads and upgrades, but I am waiting till the dev kit gets here as I am going to continue with Linux large on my existing board, Windows on the other and connect them together through my web API as long as all goes well.

• 14. Re: Free Windows SDK + Galileo from Microsoft
                                    AdamMiltonBarker

Hi I haven't received mine yet but remain optimistic

1 2 3 4 Previous Next