1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 30, 2014 2:59 AM by SpiderKenny

Galileo industrial type reliability

RELativity

Hi...

I'm thinking of deploying Galileo in an industrial context where long term reliability is paramount. My application is simple...reading from the serial port and transmitting to a cloud server a few times every hour.

I already have this application working flawlessly for years now on hundreds of cellular controllers with embedded JVMs. My MTBF with these devices so far is 1500 years!

How do you think the Galileo hardware would hold up? Temperature-wise, we would not be looking at anything too stressful....0 to 25 centigrade. Humidity would also be pretty benign.

I have designed the software to absolutely minimise flash writing. Ideally I would like to use a yocto build incorporating a Java distro would reside on a very reliable SD. There would be no need to use swap I would hope. Thoughts?

As regards power I would use a decent quality proven DIN rail industrial PSU. Power would not be constant over the deployment (I.e. it would occasionally be switched off), but it should be stable when switched on.

Any and all thoughts would be appreciated. I would love to hear the thoughts of Intellers, and yes, I understand that all responses are just mere opinions and no guarantee is either expressed or implied ☺

L

• 1. Re: Galileo industrial type reliability
          SpiderKenny

This is just my 2p  pence worth...

I would read carefully the documentation available here and especially look for any disclaimers.

I found this on in the Warranty Card :

"Galileo is not warranted for use in any aerospace, medical, military, nuclear or any other mission- or safety-critical application."

I'd say that Galileo is marketed as a development platform, from where you should take the design, refine it for your needs and develop your own solution with all the appropriate certifications and testing as may be required for your application.

If you are installing or selling the device to customers outside your own organisation then you will definitely require certification for EMI and Safety.

Finally the Safety and regulation guide that comes with galileo (available here) doesn't mention that it has been tested or certified in any way.

So, all of that sounds a bit put-off-ish doesn't it?

At the end of the day you will have to calculate your own exposure to the risk of being sued if anything goes wrong with one of your devices, and damages something (or someone) else.

And finally, I have several Galileo's running in my own controller environment and they run very well indeed, and have never once had any unexplained crash or problem. I've had them up and running for weeks at a time, and I've given them unplanned power outages and so on.

One thing to consider would be whether the SD card will start to get filled up. Do some tests and see if the system and user logs are slowly consuming space on the card, and if so, calculate how long it will be before that becomes an issue. You don't want to be called out to an installation just because the SD card filled up with logs.

And consider setting a secure root password, but leaving SSH enabled to give you a chance at remote management.