cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lenovo e420s - Intel 530 SSD Cold Start Issues when unplugged from AC power adapter

SBeni2
New Contributor

Hi guys,

I have an Intel 530 ssd as my primary drive in my Lenovo e420s. Originally, I was having the warm restart issues that many have had before the latest DC32 firmware updates. I installed the latest firmware and it fixed the pc's inability to do system restarts. However, now I have this new issue where the laptop won't recognize the SSD at boot when the laptop has been powered down and unplugged from the AC adapter. The battery can be 100% charged and it will still have this issue. This also occurs if the laptop is running then is unplugged to run off battery and after I close the lid it goes to standby and after it's in standby for a while it shuts completely off. If I try to turn it back on without the AC adapter plugged in, the pc fails to recognize the SSD. If I plug in the AC adapter and hard reset the power button, then the PC boots up fine.

The bios has AHCI enabled and it has been updated to the latest lenovo version which is 1.38.

I've put up with it running like this since December 2013. But I realize that I cannot not take my laptop with me on airplanes or in cars do to the fact that I always need to have the AC adapter connected for it to boot if I have the laptop powered off to save battery. Can someone please take a look at this to make my laptop mobile again?

~Seve

4 REPLIES 4

Silvia_L_Intel1
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Hello Seve, thanks for contacting us through the Intel Communities.

I'm going to report this behavior to our engineers so they can check it out. However I would like to know if you had this behavior before the firmware upgrade on your SSD. It is very important for us to know this information in order to find out if this is been cause by the SSD or by other device on your laptop.

Have you tested the SSD on another computer?

Have you tried any other SSD on your laptop?

Let me know all this information as soon as possible.

Thanks a lot.

Sylvia,

I honestly can't remember if I had the problem before DC32 or not as I usually had the laptop plugged in all the time. I don't have any other laptops to test it with. I have a desktop that I can use to add it as a drive but again, that's always plugged in and I wouldn't be able to see if it'd work on a different system under battery power. And lastly, this is the only SSD I've tried with this laptop.

I tried updating the drivers on the power management software and that had no effect too.

Thanks,

Seve

Thanks for the information. Let me check what I can get from the engineers about this behavior.

We think this problem is probably related to the battery, have you had any other issues with it? For example reduced run-time.

You can also try using the laptop without connected to the AC power, check how long it stays on without having power problems.

Again, the only way to find out if your SSD is defective is by testing it on another computer.