6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2014 11:52 AM by MarcIII

Galileo Minicom issues

anish_shah

Hi,

I am having trouble while transferring file from my PC (runs on Ubuntu) to the Galileo. I am using the zmodem option to transfer the file on /dev/ttyUSB0. I have the serial communication working but for some reason I cannot transfer the files on Galileo. Screenshot from 2014-06-25 09-24-32.png

Thanks,

Anish Shah.

• 1. Re: Galileo Minicom issues
          AlexT_Intel

Well, I think that's because it's not supposed to work clloader (Arduino sketch wrapper on Galileo) indeed has some zmodem functionality as far as I recall from looking at the sources, but I'm not sure you can use it as a general-purpose file transfer utility.

You need to have corresponding zmodem counterpart running on Galileo, right? Are you running something custom there, or you're just trying?

Generally speaking, you'd be better off copying the file through SSH (scp). Alternatively, there's a thread where folks are trying file transfers using g_mass_storage driver, which is not zmodem and has problems for files over 600MB, but may be useful to you.

• 2. Re: Galileo Minicom issues
            anish_shah

If I remove the Arduino IDE support from the Galileo Board (just having the yocto linux image on sdcard) will it work? If so, how do I remove the Arduino IDE platform?

• 3. Re: Galileo Minicom issues
              AlexT_Intel

I'd rather ask you - what's your goal here?

If you remove clloader, you'll anyway need something running on galileo and constituting the second side in the zmodem data transfer. I don't know of anything readily available (but I haven't researched that at all, to be honest).

• 4. Re: Galileo Minicom issues
                anish_shah

Hi,

I just want to transmit data serially. I want to avoid SSH.I think the Arduino uploads data via Y-modem. I am looking for a method to transmit cross-compiled file serially on to the Galileo.

Thanks,

Anish Shah.

• 5. Re: Galileo Minicom issues
                  AlexT_Intel

I see. Well, ssh (or ftp or other IP-based protocols) is easier to setup than z-modem with Galileo Yes, Arduino IDE uses z-modem handler in clloader daemon to upload sketches, but I think it's quite limited and won't suit your needs for generic data transfer. You can either check out the clloader sources to see what commands  and specific protocols it uses and try to use that, or setup some z-modem handler on the Galileo side by compiling it from sources.

• 6. Re: Galileo Minicom issues
                    MarcIII

You can use PPP over the serial link and then start telnetd and ftpd (or ssh if you are using SD/USB). Then you can browse files on Galileo over the serial link with Windows Explorer.

modprobe ppp-async

telnetd -l /bin/sh

cd /directory/to/serve/with/FTP

tcpsvd 0 ftp ftpd -w &

sleep 5; exec pppd crtscts nodetach debug /dev/ttyS0 local 115200 lcp-max-configure 20  10.10.10.10:10.10.10.11 connect 'chat -v -f /etc/ppp/win.chat'

Some more info:

http://mikebeach.org/2012/08/30/installing-and-configuring-a-ppp-null-modem-connection-on-windows-7/

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Serial-Laplink-HOWTO/x24.html#AEN104