Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

Intel HD flickering on video playback

FFLoW
Beginner

Dear all,

I own a tablet that is a Atom Z3740D (Z3700 series) and I have the latest driver provided.

I have an issue with Windows 8.1 using Metro apps, most specific while playing videos in fullscreen (Video app or third party apps that use fullscreen over Metro UI). Once the application starts playing the video, if you tap on the screen then it makes some transparency and during that time screen goes black and after that recovers (some kind of flickering). Also, I sometimes face the same using Internet Explorer Metro UI once a video add-on is displayed on the webpage (Flash Player or HTML5 one).

This issue seems to not happen on the Windows 8.1 desktop mode using Windows Media Player or another third party applications (window or fullscreen mode).

The Intel HD driver version is the 10.18.10.3323, I tried to look for the latest Atom Z3700 series drivers but I can not find them.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks!
0 Kudos
18 Replies
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Hello FoXz, thanks for contacting us through the Intel Communities and for sharing your video.

It appears to be an overheating issue on your tablet. I recommend you contacting the manufacture of the product so they can guide you on how to fix this problem or on replacing the unit.

Regards,

0 Kudos
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Hello FoXz, according to the graphics team the latest graphics driver included a fix related to flickering.

I would recommend checking if the version you have installed is the 3621. If it is not, you will be able to find it at the following URL

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23884&lang=eng&OSVersion=%0A%09%09%09%09%09%09%09%09%0A%09%09%09%09%09%09%09&DownloadType https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23884&lang=eng&OSVersion=%0A%09%09%09%09%09%09%09%09%0A%09%09%09%09%09%09%09&DownloadType=

0 Kudos
FFLoW
Beginner

Dear Sylvia,

Thanks so much for your answer and help As the controller that my tablet is currently running is older than the suggested one, I will try it and let you know.

Keep you informed.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
FFLoW
Beginner

Hi Sylvia,

I would like to confirm you that this driver did not fix my issue related to flickering This is quite annoying because I removed the Intel HD driver and with the MS generic driver is not happening (I guess that the reason is it is not using the total hardware acceleration).

I have noticed that there is a new one (15.36.0.3652 - beta one), I will give a try as it also has flicker fixes.

Kepp you posted.

Thanks!
0 Kudos
FFLoW
Beginner

Hi,

Finally I could not install the beta driver because do not apply to my graphics model.

I continued doing some troubleshooting and seems that if I set resolution one step lower, flickering does not happen (from 1280x800 to 1280x768).

Maybe a refresh issue on that native (1280x800) resolution?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
prowa
Beginner

I have solved this issue. foxz, try again. v3621 driver works for me.

I also using baytrail 3740 family

for now flickering has gone away on ie8, youtube metro, gmaps and games.

thanks sylvia

0 Kudos
prowa
Beginner

omg! flickering came again. 😠

I think baytrail need new driver. I hope it will soon.

0 Kudos
prowa
Beginner

edited)

oh...he came again

I think the reason is sleep mode.

It appear when tablet sleep over about 2-3hours.

c6 or c7 may cause flickering.

we need new driver Mr. INTEL.

I have tested about DVMT memory.

did you change the dvmt size on bios?

128mb is not enough I think.

so I have set 256mb

and now flickering has gone away surely. gracias

0 Kudos
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Guys thanks for the feedback. I'm going to report this to the engineers

0 Kudos
FFLoW
Beginner

Thanks to you guys for your help, but the only workaround that totally worked for me is lowering resolution to 1280x768.

Regards!

0 Kudos
prowa
Beginner

I also confirmed the way changing resolution.

but legibility seems to go down a little.

btw I found another solution.

just rotate the screen then flickering will be gone

but if you restore to original rotation, flickering appear again.

it's very odd

0 Kudos
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Guys I strongly recommend you to get in touch with the tablet manufacture since the graphics engine is not the same as motherboard or NUCs. So our drivers are not going to resolve this issue completely.

0 Kudos
MMora8
Beginner

I have this same problem with my Asus X200MA touchscreen laptop, uses the Intel Celeron N2815 CPU and intel HD graphics, it's very annoying because sometimes it doesn't just flickers, it stays black until you interact with it again, then the image reappears.

I've had this happen on two different laptops of the same model (but different colors), so I think it must be a software issue.

0 Kudos
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

MarkosX, which operating system are you using?

Would you please send me a DirectX diagnostic report? Please click Start, click Run, type dxdiag in the Open box, and then click OK.

0 Kudos
MMora8
Beginner

I'm using Windows 8.1, it has all the updates installed as well as all the driver updates from the asus drivers website. I have attached the DX diagnostic txt file to this post.

0 Kudos
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Thanks for the information, this behavior has been reported already to the Graphics team, and we are waiting on a resolution.

0 Kudos
JTrze
Beginner

I'm having the same issue with my Sony Vaio VPCEG16FM latop. I ended up having to reload the computer with a fresh install and updated the graphics driver to the latest version and it keeps flickering like a strobe light, but the image is still visible. So kind of like the beginning of the original posters video before it blacks out.. I thought it was a connectivity issue at first, so I took it apart to make sure the cable was secure in the back of the screen, but it still did the same thing. After that, I ended up uninstalling the driver to the default "Standard VGA graphics" driver provided by Microsoft and the issue hasn't happened since. The following was taken from the DxDiag:

------------------

System Information

------------------

Time of this report: 7/11/2014, 23:15:23

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.140303-2144)

System Manufacturer: Sony Corporation

System Model: VPCEG16FM

BIOS: InsydeH2O Version 03.61.04R0220Z8

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2410M CPU @ 2.30GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.3GHz

Memory: 4096MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 4044MB RAM

Page File: 1135MB used, 6950MB available

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

User DPI Setting: Using System DPI

System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)

DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled

DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

Sorry for the length of all that, I figured the more info I give, the easier it might be to figure out the issue. Please, I am unable to use the laptop at the moment with the latest driver. Without it, it works fine, so I've eliminated the hardware. If any further information is needed, I'll do my best to provide it.

0 Kudos
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

ZerOseeker, I'm going to report this to our engineers. I have a Lenovo laptop with HD 4000 and it has the latest graphics driver installed. I'm not experiencing issues with it.

0 Kudos