Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20626 Discussions

IMSM - Messagewindow on degraded raid system

idata
Employee

Hi Community,

I Have a question about the Intel Matrix Storage Manager.

In the root folder of the IMSM is iaanotif.exe wich shows bubbles near the trayicon if somthis is wrong.

That works fine until we use Windows SteadyState.

This tool blocks the access for the user on the trayicons and it blocks the bubblemessages.

So all I want is to know a possibility for a Messagebox wich shows the user that the raid is degraded for example.

Is there any way to realize this? Maybe just in Key in the Registry that we have to change or some windowsmessages we could catch to make our own Messageboxes.

Im sorry for my English,

hope you understand me and you could help.

best regards Sascha

System Information :

Intel Matrix Storage Manager Console V. 8.8.1009

Windows XP SP 3

6 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi, Sascha-L.

There's not a way to trap/catch the messages. The Intel(R) Matrix Storage Manager does log events in the Microsoft Event Viewer*, however, so you could poll the Event Viewer for iastor.sys events and make your own message boxes from them.

I don't know anything about Windows SteadyState. Is there a way to perhaps let it show tray icon messages from one particular icon at least? The tray icon is designed to let users know if/when something goes wrong with their system - it seems like a lot of work for you to have to create something that does the same thing + poll the system regularly.

thanks, Elizabeth

idata
Employee

Hi Elizabeth,

Thank you for your Answer, and thats the way i want to solve the Problem.

At the Moment i work on a tool that reads the Windows Eventlog and looks if there is a Message from the IAANTmon.exe.

If there is a Message it looks when the Event occours and looks what the Message says.

At the moment i only care of a degraded and a restored system and show Messages then.

There is no possibility to unlock selected icons in windowssteadystate. Thats my problem

So you say theres no way to sniff the communication between the service and the Notifier of you?

Could you please ask the developer of the software, because there must be a way...

So far...

With best regards

Sascha L.

idata
Employee

The ability to do so is not currently supported. (Our support agents get this question occasionally and the workaround we can suggest is to poll the event log, which it sounds like you're already doing!

idata
Employee

This tool blocks the access for the user on the trayicons and it blocks the bubblemessages

Thats your problem right there its because of this that stops ALL bubblemessages with no workaround because that's what the setting does.

If you just set Windows Restrictions to high in SteadyState without knowing this scroll the check list under General Restrictions uncheck "Prevent access to Windows Explorer freatures: Folder Options, Customize Toolbar, and Notifcation Area".

Its the Notification Area thats the problem.
idata
Employee

I know about the Options of Steadystate, the Problem is, that the operator should have no acces to anything.

But he should know if something with the System is wrong, so that we could change the destroyed HDD for example.

@ Elizabeth: Could you please Post all the Message ID´s the IAANmon posts to the Windows Event Manager with a description of the Messages?

I think my program should be ready to run in a few days.

Thanks for your comments.

Best regards Sascha

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Have you asked your self the question that is "how much access is this really and what can the operator do with this access?" if you check for yourself you will find its not much access and with "Lock profile to prevent the user from making permanent changes" checked that would stop any changes being saved anyway.

I don't know if the ID will be the same for you as it for me but here you go:

Event ID: 7003

The description for Event ID ( 7003 ) in Source ( IAANTmon ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Status for hard drive 'Serial Number' changed from 'Normal' to 'Failed'.

System Report:- …..more info

Event ID: 7202

The description for Event ID ( 7202 ) in Source ( IAANTmon ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Status for volume 'RAID5 V1' changed from 'Normal' to 'Degraded'.

System Report:- …..more info

All thanks due to 8.9 problems

0 Kudos