2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2014 3:01 PM by sushimonster

Turbo Boost on the D54250

sushimonster

I use a specific set of codecs for media playback that makes an attempt at using all processing threads when required (in the case of the D54250, all four where possible). Been having issues playing around with this and during debugging I noticed that the processor clocks were not exceeding 1.3GHz (even though the NUC is advertised to Turbo Boost to 2.6GHz).

Entered BIOS and it seems that Turbo Boost was disabled out-of-the-box.

Granted boosting in the long run isn't too good for any processor (with the stress that comes with higher temperatures etc etc). But why disable an (advertised) feature out of the box? Is there anything to note for the end-user?

PS - Enabled said feature in BIOS and I now have some stability with my codecs, though of course with slightly higher temperatures (single core runs at 2.6GHz, multi-thread processing limited to 2.3GHz as per BIOS default multiplier settings). And it still seems to idle at a good 35'C at a clock of 800MHz as well.

PPS - This is my first i-series processor so I may be missing something here (maybe Intel disables TB out of the box since most people don't need it, or something?)

• 1. Re: Turbo Boost on the D54250
          kevin_intel

Hello sushimonster,

I am sorry you are having problems with the system but let me help you.

Turbo Boost is always enabled by default on Intel® processors so I find very strange this situation with your product.

It is also important to say that the clock speed reached when using the Turbo Boost depends on many factors such as Cores running, temperature, voltage, etc.

Here you can find more information about this technology and the chart for the Turbo Boost Table on Intel® Core i5, Intel® Core i3, and Intel® Core i7 processors.

Kevin M

• 2. Re: Turbo Boost on the D54250
            sushimonster

Hmm.

Bought this machine brand new still-in-shrink-wrap from a brick and mortar store so no doubt about it being new. One thing to note is I did update the BIOS as soon as I first powered the unit up (from 0021 to 0026). Maybe that did something it shouldn't have.

I am aware of what Turbo Boost does and the clock speeds that it can achieve (I've been able to get a Pentium 4 to do similar things by changing power settings on Windows 7 before, but I would assume Turbo Boost is more efficient with power than the previous generation processors).

Either way, many thanks for the heads-up Kevin.