6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2011 11:16 PM by

What CPU is this?

jlixfeld

I have a Dell PowerEdge 1850 with a Xeon 3.0Ghz/2MB Cache/800Mhz FSB CPU/MPGA604 socket.  The system has an E7520 chipset.  I'm trying to figure out what model the CPU is so I can buy a faster version of it, but I'm hitting a wall.

From what my OS tells me, this is an EM64T processor (because it's booting an AMD64 kernel), and it supports what I believe is Hyperthreading (as opposed to dual cores).  I believe it supports Hyperthreading because it shows up on my FreeBSD system as 1 physical processor, with one core, but two logical processors on the one core:

CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 3.00GHz (2992.71-MHz K8-class CPU)

Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0xf43  Stepping = 3

Features=0xbfebfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,C

MOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,DTS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE>

Features2=0x641d<SSE3,RSVD2,MON,DS_CPL,CNTX-ID,CX16,<b14>>

AMD Features=0x20100800<SYSCALL,NX,LM>

Logical CPUs per core: 2

real memory  = 1073479680 (1023 MB)

avail memory = 1024192512 (976 MB)

FreeBSD/SMP: Multiprocessor System Detected: 2 CPUs

cpu0 (BSP): APIC ID:  0

cpu1 (AP): APIC ID:  1

I've checked http://ark.intel.com/ProductCollection.aspx?familyID=594 but I end up confused:  The only CPU I see that matches the speed, cache and fsb is http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=27094&processor=&spec-codes=SL7ZF,SL8P6,SL8ZQ,SL944 but there are a couple of problems with this find:

1) It says this processor is a 64-bit processor (Intel 64) and not EM64T like the one actually installed in my server,

2) It says this processor doesn't support Hyperthreading, but the server is doing hyperthreading.

Can anyone help me identify my processor?

BTW:  I can't use any of the downloadable tools to identify the processor because the box does not run Windows and it's a production server, so I can't easily shut it down and boot to a Windows LiveCD or something capable of running a CPU ID util.

Thanks in advance.