1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 13, 2014 2:26 PM by sylvia_intel

Risks in turning on Intel Hyper-V

arik312

Hi

I have an intel core i7 3770 processor and 24 GB ram.

My main operating system is windows 7 x64 and I want to install Linux operating system on VMware.

I've been told to enable Intel Hyper-V in bios and I was wondering whether there are risks in turning on Intel Hyper-V, after all it is disabled by default and there must be a reason for that.

Could someone please tell me if there is any problems in keeping Hyper-V on?

Thanks for the help

• 1. Re: Risks in turning on Intel Hyper-V
          sylvia_intel

Hello Arik312, thanks for contacting us through the Intel Communities.

I was able to read you post and I would like to know if you mean Intel® Virtualization Technology (VT-x) instead of Hyper-v?

This is because Hyper-V is a feature from Windows Server to use virtualization.

Intel® Virtualization Technology (VT-x) is disabled  by default because if a customer is not going to use virtualization, there is no reason to waste processors' resources.

If you want to install a Virtual machine on your system, it is necessary to enable  VT-x.

I would recommend you to post your inquire on a Linux community, so they can provide you additional information.