8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 29, 2014 3:31 PM by AlexT_Intel

Intel Galileo - Building Linux Image

Kalpesh

Hi Everyone,

We are using Board_Support_Package_Sources_for_Intel_Quark_v1.0.1.7z

We are able to compile "image-spi" and "image-full" success-fully on Linux machine

Now We want to change kernel configuration

For this we follow steps below:

$ cd ~/meta-clanton_v1.0.0

$ source poky/oe-init-build-env yocto_build

$ bitbake linux-yocto-clanton -c menuconfig

after that we are getting following output

-----------------------------------------------------------

mehul@AHMCPU0772:/media/Common/ei_Intel_Galileo/BSP/meta-clanton_v1.0.0$ source poky/oe-init-build-env yocto_build

### Shell environment set up for builds. ###

You can now run 'bitbake <target>'

Common targets are:

core-image-minimal

core-image-sato

meta-toolchain

meta-toolchain-sdk

adt-installer

meta-ide-support

You can also run generated qemu images with a command like 'runqemu qemux86'

mehul@AHMCPU0772:/media/Common/ei_Intel_Galileo/BSP/meta-clanton_v1.0.0/yocto_build$ bitbake linux-yocto-clanton -c menuconfig

WARNING: Host distribution "Ubuntu-13.04" has not been validated with this version of the build system; you may possibly experience unexpected failures. It is recommended that you use a tested distribution.

Loading cache: 100% |#################################################################################################################| ETA:  00:00:00

Loaded 1615 entries from dependency cache.

Build Configuration:

BB_VERSION        = "1.18.0"

BUILD_SYS         = "i686-linux"

NATIVELSBSTRING   = "Ubuntu-13.04"

TARGET_SYS        = "i586-poky-linux-uclibc"

MACHINE           = "clanton"

DISTRO            = "clanton-tiny"

DISTRO_VERSION    = "1.4.2"

TUNE_FEATURES     = "m32 i586"

TARGET_FPU        = ""

meta             

meta-yocto       

meta-yocto-bsp    = "clanton:d734ab491a30078d43dee5440c03acce2d251425"

meta-intel        = "clanton:048def7bae8e3e1a11c91f5071f99bdcf8e6dd16"

meta-oe           = "clanton:13ae5105ee30410136beeae66ec41ee4a8a2e2b0"

meta-clanton-distro

meta-clanton-bsp  = "<unknown>:<unknown>"

NOTE: Resolving any missing task queue dependencies

NOTE: Preparing runqueue

NOTE: Executing SetScene Tasks

NOTE: Executing RunQueue Tasks

ERROR: No valid terminal found, unable to open devshell

ERROR: Function failed: do_menuconfig

ERROR: Logfile of failure stored in: /media/Common/ei_Intel_Galileo/BSP/meta-clanton_v1.0.0/yocto_build/tmp/work/clanton-poky-linux-uclibc/linux-yocto-clanton/3.8-r0/temp/log.do_menuconfig.17783

ERROR: Task 7 (/media/Common/ei_Intel_Galileo/BSP/meta-clanton_v1.0.0/meta-clanton-bsp/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-yocto-clanton_3.8.bb, do_menuconfig) failed with exit code '1'

NOTE: Tasks Summary: Attempted 211 tasks of which 210 didn't need to be rerun and 1 failed.

Summary: 1 task failed:

/media/Common/ei_Intel_Galileo/BSP/meta-clanton_v1.0.0/meta-clanton-bsp/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-yocto-clanton_3.8.bb, do_menuconfig

Summary: There was 1 WARNING message shown.

Summary: There were 2 ERROR messages shown, returning a non-zero exit code.

Any help will be appreciated

Thanks,

Kalpesh

• 1. Re: Intel Galileo - Building Linux Image
          AlexT_Intel

Hi Kalpesh

Quick suggestion without going into much details - try "bitbake image-full-galileo -c nconfig" instead. Nconfig is pretty much the same as menuconfig but uses ncurses instead and that was the only way I made it work on my openSUSE 12.3 build host. As I've found out trying to troubleshoot the same error - some distros have headers that conflict with the ones you have in Yocto and that causes such effect during cross compilation + another reason may be the specific terminal emulation program you're using.

Just search for "bitbake menuconfig error" + the error message you get and you'll see quite a few such complaints. Usually they recommend trying various env variables for compensating for the terminal emulator and if that's the headers thing (like on openSUSE) - only nconfig helps.

Or you can try Ubuntu 12.04 instead of 13.04 - that warning about unsupported distro at the beginning of the log file is meaningful, some things are indeed not working on non-verified distros and it may be the case that on 12.04 it will just work.

• 2. Re: Intel Galileo - Building Linux Image
            Kalpesh

Hi Alex,

Thanks for your quick reply..

I tried commands as you suggested as below:

$ bitbake image-full-galileo -c nconfig

and i got error below:

-----------------------------------

mehul@AHMCPU0772:/media/Common/ei_Intel_Galileo/BSP/meta-clanton_v1.0.0/yocto_build$ bitbake image-full-galileo -c nconfig

WARNING: Host distribution "Ubuntu-13.04" has not been validated with this version of the build system; you may possibly experience unexpected failures. It is recommended that you use a tested distribution.

Loading cache: 100% |#################################################################################################################| ETA:  00:00:00

Loaded 1615 entries from dependency cache.

Build Configuration:

BUILD_SYS         = "i686-linux"

NATIVELSBSTRING   = "Ubuntu-13.04"

TARGET_FPU        = ""

meta             

meta-yocto       

meta-yocto-bsp    = "clanton:d734ab491a30078d43dee5440c03acce2d251425"

meta-clanton-distro

NOTE: multiple providers are available for runtime glibc-gconv-ibm850-native (eglibc-locale, nativesdk-eglibc-locale)

NOTE: consider defining a PREFERRED_PROVIDER entry to match glibc-gconv-ibm850-native

NOTE: multiple providers are available for runtime glibc-gconv-ibm437-native (eglibc-locale, nativesdk-eglibc-locale)

NOTE: consider defining a PREFERRED_PROVIDER entry to match glibc-gconv-ibm437-native

NOTE: multiple providers are available for runtime glibc-gconv-ibm737-native (eglibc-locale, nativesdk-eglibc-locale)

NOTE: consider defining a PREFERRED_PROVIDER entry to match glibc-gconv-ibm737-native

NOTE: multiple providers are available for runtime glibc-gconv-ibm775-native (eglibc-locale, nativesdk-eglibc-locale)

NOTE: consider defining a PREFERRED_PROVIDER entry to match glibc-gconv-ibm775-native

NOTE: multiple providers are available for runtime glibc-gconv-ibm851-native (eglibc-locale, nativesdk-eglibc-locale)

NOTE: consider defining a PREFERRED_PROVIDER entry to match glibc-gconv-ibm851-native

NOTE: multiple providers are available for runtime glibc-gconv-ibm852-native (eglibc-locale, nativesdk-eglibc-locale)

NOTE: consider defining a PREFERRED_PROVIDER entry to match glibc-gconv-ibm852-native

NOTE: multiple providers are available for runtime glibc-gconv-ibm855-native (eglibc-locale, nativesdk-eglibc-locale)

NOTE: consider defining a PREFERRED_PROVIDER entry to match glibc-gconv-ibm855-native

NOTE: multiple providers are available for runtime glibc-gconv-ibm857-native (eglibc-locale, nativesdk-eglibc-locale)

NOTE: consider defining a PREFERRED_PROVIDER entry to match glibc-gconv-ibm857-native

NOTE: multiple providers are available for runtime glibc-gconv-ibm860-native (eglibc-locale, nativesdk-eglibc-locale)

NOTE: consider defining a PREFERRED_PROVIDER entry to match glibc-gconv-ibm860-native

NOTE: multiple providers are available for runtime glibc-gconv-ibm861-native (eglibc-locale, nativesdk-eglibc-locale)

NOTE: consider defining a PREFERRED_PROVIDER entry to match glibc-gconv-ibm861-native

NOTE: multiple providers are available for runtime glibc-gconv-ibm862-native (eglibc-locale, nativesdk-eglibc-locale)

NOTE: consider defining a PREFERRED_PROVIDER entry to match glibc-gconv-ibm862-native

NOTE: multiple providers are available for runtime glibc-gconv-ibm863-native (eglibc-locale, nativesdk-eglibc-locale)

NOTE: consider defining a PREFERRED_PROVIDER entry to match glibc-gconv-ibm863-native

NOTE: multiple providers are available for runtime glibc-gconv-ibm865-native (eglibc-locale, nativesdk-eglibc-locale)

NOTE: consider defining a PREFERRED_PROVIDER entry to match glibc-gconv-ibm865-native

NOTE: multiple providers are available for runtime glibc-gconv-ibm866-native (eglibc-locale, nativesdk-eglibc-locale)

NOTE: consider defining a PREFERRED_PROVIDER entry to match glibc-gconv-ibm866-native

NOTE: multiple providers are available for runtime glibc-gconv-ibm869-native (eglibc-locale, nativesdk-eglibc-locale)

NOTE: consider defining a PREFERRED_PROVIDER entry to match glibc-gconv-ibm869-native

NOTE: multiple providers are available for jpeg (jpeg, libjpeg-turbo)

NOTE: consider defining a PREFERRED_PROVIDER entry to match jpeg

ERROR: Task do_nconfig does not exist for target image-full-galileo

Summary: There was 1 WARNING message shown.

Summary: There was 1 ERROR message shown, returning a non-zero exit code.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think the Error above is not because of "Ubuntu 13.04"

Please correct me if i missed out something.

Thanks,

Kalpesh

• 3. Re: Intel Galileo - Building Linux Image
              Kalpesh

Hi Alex

I got the solution now.

Actually there was no enough space in my Linux Machine, so I was trying to build every thing on our server machine  using SSH and that was creating error above in my first post. By doing below steps on Server machine's terminal i successfully got menuconfig.

$ bitbake linux-yocto-clanton -c menuconfig

Thanks,

Kalpesh

• 4. Re: Intel Galileo - Building Linux Image
                AlexT_Intel

Right, simple console connection with SSH won't work - menuconfig needs xterm or similar.

And for the sake of correctness - I now recalled that nconfig is actually not the task bitbake can execute for you (indeed) - sorry, it was a little too long ago I did that.

I actually used to do "bitbake linux-yocto-clanton -c devshell" and then in the devshell window I ran "make nconfig". That could be a solution for someone facing this error due to reasons I mentioned in my post.

Glad you've got it solved, anyway. :-)

• 5. Re: Intel Galileo - Building Linux Image
                  Kalpesh

Thanks Alex,

For your quick response and help........

Regards,

Kalpesh

• 6. Re: Intel Galileo - Building Linux Image
                    krish_22

hello Kalpesh

I am working on Intel Galileo board. I am facing problem in command "bitbake linux-yocto-clanton -c menuconfig"

when I am trying to execute that command, each and every time it hangs up at "linux-yocto-clanton-3.8-r0 do_fatch".

So, please give me some solution for this

Thanks in advance

• 7. Re: Intel Galileo - Building Linux Image
                      linux-yocto-clanton

Hi everyone,

I got an error when I rebuilt kernel.

I just try this command "bitbake linux-yocto-clanton -c menuconfig".

But I got an error like following:

[cstor@cstor yocto_build]$ bitbake linux-yocto-clanton -c menuconfig
                      Loading cache: 100% |#########################################################################################################################################################################################################################################| ETA:  00:00:00
                      Loaded 1619 entries from dependency cache.

Build Configuration:
                      BUILD_SYS         = "x86_64-linux"
                      NATIVELSBSTRING   = "CentOS-6.3"
                      TARGET_FPU        = ""
                      meta             
                      meta-yocto       
                      meta-yocto-bsp    = "clanton:3b503a5edbc588e192bacfff7f14b027c67cac86"
                      meta-clanton-distro

NOTE: Executing SetScene Tasks
                      NOTE: Executing RunQueue Tasks
                      ERROR: Error executing a python function in /TanChonggang/quark/meta-clanton_v1.0.1/meta-clanton-bsp/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-yocto-clanton_3.8.bb:
                      OSError: [Errno 13] Permission denied

ERROR: The stack trace of python calls that resulted in this exception/failure was:
                      ERROR:   File "do_menuconfig", line 22, in <module>
                      ERROR:
                      ERROR:   File "do_menuconfig", line 8, in do_menuconfig
                      ERROR:
                      ERROR:   File "terminal.bbclass", line 55, in oe_terminal
                      ERROR:
                      ERROR:   File "/TanChonggang/quark/meta-clanton_v1.0.1/poky/meta/lib/oe/terminal.py", line 173, in spawn_preferred
                      ERROR:     spawn(terminal.name, sh_cmd, title, env, d)
                      ERROR:
                      ERROR:   File "/TanChonggang/quark/meta-clanton_v1.0.1/poky/meta/lib/oe/terminal.py", line 188, in spawn
                      ERROR:     pipe = terminal(sh_cmd, title, env, d)
                      ERROR:
                      ERROR:   File "/TanChonggang/quark/meta-clanton_v1.0.1/poky/meta/lib/oe/terminal.py", line 50, in __init__
                      ERROR:     Terminal.__init__(self, sh_cmd, title, env, d)
                      ERROR:
                      ERROR:   File "/TanChonggang/quark/meta-clanton_v1.0.1/poky/meta/lib/oe/terminal.py", line 33, in __init__
                      ERROR:     Popen.__init__(self, fmt_sh_cmd, env=env)
                      ERROR:
                      ERROR:   File "/TanChonggang/quark/meta-clanton_v1.0.1/poky/bitbake/lib/bb/process.py", line 65, in __init__
                      ERROR:     subprocess.Popen.__init__(self, *args, **options)
                      ERROR:
                      ERROR:   File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/subprocess.py", line 639, in __init__
                      ERROR:     errread, errwrite)
                      ERROR:
                      ERROR:   File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/subprocess.py", line 1228, in _execute_child
                      ERROR:     raise child_exception
                      ERROR:
                      ERROR: The code that was being executed was:
                      ERROR:      0018:            bb.note("Configuration changed, recompile will be forced")
                      ERROR:      0019:            bb.build.write_taint('do_compile', d)
                      ERROR:      0020:
                      ERROR:      0021:
                      ERROR:  *** 0022:do_menuconfig(d)
                      ERROR:      0023:
                      ERROR: [From file: 'do_menuconfig', lineno: 22, function: <module>]
                      ERROR:      0004:        mtime = os.path.getmtime(".config")
                      ERROR:      0005:    except OSError:
                      ERROR:      0006:        mtime = 0
                      ERROR:      0007:
                      ERROR:  *** 0008:    oe_terminal("/bin/bash -c \"make menuconfig; if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then echo 'Command failed.'; printf 'Press any key to continue... '; read r; fi\"", 'linux-yocto-clanton Configuration', d)
                      ERROR:      0009:
                      ERROR:      0010:    # FIXME this check can be removed when the minimum bitbake version has been bumped
                      ERROR:      0011:    if hasattr(bb.build, 'write_taint'):
                      ERROR:      0012:        try:
                      ERROR: [From file: 'do_menuconfig', lineno: 8, function: do_menuconfig]
                      ERROR:      0051:        except oe.terminal.ExecutionError as exc:
                      ERROR:      0052:            bb.fatal('Unable to spawn terminal %s: %s' % (terminal, exc))
                      ERROR:      0053:
                      ERROR:      0054:    try:
                      ERROR:  *** 0055:        oe.terminal.spawn_preferred(command, title, None, d)
                      ERROR:      0056:    except oe.terminal.NoSupportedTerminals:
                      ERROR:      0057:        bb.fatal('No valid terminal found, unable to open devshell')
                      ERROR:      0058:    except oe.terminal.ExecutionError as exc:
                      ERROR:      0059:        bb.fatal('Unable to spawn terminal %s: %s' % (terminal, exc))
                      ERROR: [From file: 'terminal.bbclass', lineno: 55, function: oe_terminal]
                      ERROR: Function failed: do_menuconfig
                      ERROR: Logfile of failure stored in: /TanChonggang/quark/meta-clanton_v1.0.1/yocto_build/tmp/work/clanton-poky-linux-uclibc/linux-yocto-clanton/3.8-r0/temp/log.do_menuconfig.4939
                      ERROR: Task 7 (/TanChonggang/quark/meta-clanton_v1.0.1/meta-clanton-bsp/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-yocto-clanton_3.8.bb, do_menuconfig) failed with exit code '1'
                      NOTE: Tasks Summary: Attempted 219 tasks of which 218 didn't need to be rerun and 1 failed.

Summary: 1 task failed:
                        /TanChonggang/quark/meta-clanton_v1.0.1/meta-clanton-bsp/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-yocto-clanton_3.8.bb, do_menuconfig
                      Summary: There were 58 ERROR messages shown, returning a non-zero exit code.
                      [cstor@cstor yocto_build]$

If anyone can help me?

Thanks

• 8. Re: Intel Galileo - Building Linux Image
                        AlexT_Intel

I haven't seen this exact error, but it looks like it has some problems spawning the terminal session for the menuconfig. Below are the things I'd try to narrow down where exactly the problem is:

1. Do you have SElinux enabled? If yes, is it configured for properly allowing bitbake to do things? Try disabling SElinux and running it again, if it works - then you need to tweak your profile or disable it altogether;
                        2. Are you able to run "bitbake -c devshell linux-yocto-clanton"? If yes - try running "make nconfig" in the devshell window that opens. That would be an equivalent for menuconfig which uses different drawing library and sometimes works when menuconfig doesn't (I faced this on OpenSUSE 12.3, for example);
                        3. Is there any additional information in the log file referenced in the error message? If yes, please attach the file in full so that people can check it out for additional clues;