4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2014 8:00 AM by AlexT_Intel

    Attempting to build BSP 1.0.0 for the first time

    Eliot

      I'm attempting to build BSP 1.0.0 on Wheezy with the goal of building a new kernel with support for the RoboPeak mini USB display like this post. I'm following along with Sergey's original post and the official BSP PDF guide. I'm building image-spi first to make sure everything works as suggested here. But it stops on this error copied from the log:

       

      DEBUG: Executing python function sstate_task_prefunc

      DEBUG: Python function sstate_task_prefunc finished

      DEBUG: Executing python function do_populate_sysroot

      DEBUG: Executing shell function sysroot_stage_all

      tar: --same-order option cannot be used with -c

      Try 'tar --help' or 'tar --usage' for more information.

      tar: This does not look like a tar archive

      tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors

      DEBUG: Python function do_populate_sysroot finished

      ERROR: Function failed: sysroot_stage_all (see /home/eliot/bsp1.0.0/meta-clanton_v1.0.0/yocto_build/tmp/work/i686-linux/quilt-native/0.60-r0/temp/log.do_populate_sysroot.5217 for further information)

        • 1. Re: Attempting to build BSP 1.0.0 for the first time
          JPMontero_Intel

          I’ll try to replicate this, if I get a suggestion I’ll post it in here. In the meantime why don’t you try again with a clean build? In case this error is due to a corrupted file because of the uncompression.
          Regards
          JPMontero_Intel

          • 2. Re: Attempting to build BSP 1.0.0 for the first time
            Eliot

            I got much further by switching to Vagrant precise32 and installing the dependencies from the BSP guide. Now it's stopped the build here:

             

             

            ERROR: Function failed: do_validate_branches (see /home/vagrant/galileo_build/meta-clanton_v1.0.0/yocto_build/tmp/work/clanton-poky-linux-uclibc/linux-yocto-clanton/3.8-r0/temp/log.do_validate_branches.27492 for further information)

            ERROR: Logfile of failure stored in: /home/vagrant/galileo_build/meta-clanton_v1.0.0/yocto_build/tmp/work/clanton-poky-linux-uclibc/linux-yocto-clanton/3.8-r0/temp/log.do_validate_branches.27492

            Log data follows:

            | DEBUG: Executing shell function do_validate_branches

            | Killed

            | ERROR: Function failed: do_validate_branches (see /home/vagrant/galileo_build/meta-clanton_v1.0.0/yocto_build/tmp/work/clanton-poky-linux-uclibc/linux-yocto-clanton/3.8-r0/temp/log.do_validate_branches.27492 for further information)

            ERROR: Task 236 (/home/vagrant/galileo_build/meta-clanton_v1.0.0/meta-clanton-bsp/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-yocto-clanton_3.8.bb, do_validate_branches) failed with exit code '1'

            NOTE: Tasks Summary: Attempted 919 tasks of which 725 didn't need to be rerun and 1 failed.

            • 3. Re: Attempting to build BSP 1.0.0 for the first time
              Eliot

              Is there a way to get more verbose errors from the build process? I think my original troubles were solved by installing more dependencies. So I'm wondering what do_validate_branches is attempting to do and if it's just breaking because it's missing something that I could install.

              • 4. Re: Attempting to build BSP 1.0.0 for the first time
                AlexT_Intel

                This log message:

                 

                | Killed


                suggests me it may be resource exhaustion on your VM, I saw such things in the past when builds were failing with mysterious errors just because of that. Adding resources to the VM or decreasing amount of threads and tasks in the local.conf always helped for such errors.

                 

                Default compilation settings in the yocto_build/conf/local.conf are rather aggressive and require something like at least 2 vCPU VM with 4GB vRAM (at least that's the config which worked for me and e.g. 2GB vRAM were failing). The easiest way to fix this type of errors is to tweak two variables in local.conf:

                 

                BB_NUMBER_THREADS = "12"

                PARALLEL_MAKE = "-j 14"

                 

                The above are defaults, the rule of thumb is to set 2 threads and make processes per vCPU, that is a safe conservative setting. With such settings 2GB vRAM worked fine for me, AFAIR.

                 

                As far as dependencies are concerned - the BSP Build Guide has them all, I didn't need anything else after carefully installing all what's mentioned there.

                 

                BTW, a while ago I've created a VM image, which has all the necessary prerequisites installed and checked to compile fine, check this thread out, maybe it will be of use for you: Linux VM pre-configured for Galileo BSP building - released