4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 12, 2014 4:52 PM by joe_intel

No more video output on displayport after bios update (D34010WYKH)

RemHep

Another title could be : "How to kill displayport on Intel NUC in some click."

I've bought 2 Intel NUC D34010WYKH 2 week ago. The two NUC was working perfectly until yesderday. I used the latest Intel Integrator Toolkit to change the boot graphic. I've done this with other motherboard wihtout any problem until now. I've downloaded the latest BIOS file using the Intel Integrator Toolkit and changed the graphic. After reboot, a bios update failure message appeared on both NUC. After a shutdown, no more video output on DisplayPort. The NUC still boot correctly to Windows. The HDMI port still functionnal (Thanks to my 24inch monitor to be equipped with HDMI port).

Material that was functionnal since 2 week:

2X Intel NUC kit BOXD34010WYKH1 BATCH:CNG6421201 VERSION#: H26248-102

2X Adaptor DisplayPort to VGA : Cable to go #54315

4X different monitor from 15inch to 24inch

I've tried to :

- Putting defaut value in bios.

- Resinstalling lastest bios (WYLPT10H.86A.0026.2014.0514.1714) without any modification to default.

- Plug only Displayport, plug HDMI + Displayport with restart/shutdown between change. Windows only detect the HDMI monitor.

- Forcing the BIOS update with the jumper on board.

- Changing graphics parameter in bios to force Displayport as primary.

- Downgrade bios to 0025, 0024. Will continue the downgrade until the first one in next days.

I don't have any monitor with DisplayPort on it but it was fonctionning perfectly before...

My questions :

- What was to original BIOS version shipped with those NUC? Because this one was working great.

- Wich parameter have changed to make my DisplayPort to disable it? There is any parameter left around after a default setting in bios?

- After a closer look at Intel Integrator Toolkit, I see in the list two similar motherboard model : D34010WYK (Detected as "Installed" by the toolkit) and D34010WYB. Just wondering what is the difference between those two? WYK seem to link to the "kit" and WYB is the "Board". Why they are both in "Motherboard" column in toolkit? It seem to be the same bios list.

Will keep my post updated until I found a solution. Hope someone wil have some good idea to help.

Thanks for reading and sorry for my english.

• 1. Re: No more video output on displayport after bios update (D34010WYKH)
          joe_intel

Hi RemHep, I am sorry you for this trouble.

Based on the information you provided I believe that the cause of the issue itself lies on this digital-to-analog conversion you are using. You probably have more chances of getting it working with a DP to HDMI cable.

It is also a good practice to take note of the original BIOS version before updating because sometimes it is necessary to follow specific update instructions in the BIOS release notes before you can get to the latest version. I usually recommend incremental updates.

The main difference between the kit and the board is that the kit comes with the chassis (and other internal components) while the board does not.

• 2. Re: No more video output on displayport after bios update (D34010WYKH)
            RemHep

Hello Jon,

Thank you for taking the time to help me.

Based on the information you Provided That I believe the question of the outcome Itself lies on this digital-to-analog conversion you are using. You probably-have more chances of getting it working with a DP to HDMI cable.

I understand that the problem may be the output resolution of DisplayPort port. But I have two VGA touch screens for my kiosk and before updating BIOS using the ITK (Intel Integrator Toolkit), DisplayPort output working fine with my DP to VGA adapter. There are configuration hidden to users that have been changed by ITK, including probably the minimum resolution configurations. I can not tell if the problem come from BIOS or default ITK settings. By cons, no matter the BIOS version that I put the DP port is always silent.

I think it's important to keep the compatibility of older monitor because a lot of people will replace their old big tower with NUC or equivalent.

It is also a good practice to take note of the original BIOS version before updating because sometimes it is necessary to follow specific update instructions in the BIOS release notes before you can get to the latest version. I usually recommend incremental updates.

You're right, I went too fast with the update because of my confidence in Intel.

The main difference Between the kit and the board is That The kit comes with the frame (and other internal components) while the board Does not.

I know the difference between B and K. My question was more about why the two models appear in the ITK since it is the same motherboard? Is there a difference in BIOS configuration?

Bug reporting interlude:

I also noticed a bug in the reset BIOS configurations. I followed the "Restoring original BIOS settings" instructions. I confirm, the "reset" finished since the BIOS settings had returned default except:

1. Personalized picture I had placed reappeared after a few configuration changes in the BIOS. I had to take another picture to change. It is currently impossible to put this setting to the original condition.
            2. The default settings are not corrected the problem of the DP to VGA. I still have to retest the oldest version of BIOS.
            3. No display on HDMI during boot on a USB stick. I was forced of typing the command "itoolkit remove" and wait without seeing the screen. I've tested with the Windows base version and it reset configuration again but with the following problem :
            4. The reset SMBIOS does not work (failed error message).

I got the same problems following the "Recovery BIOS Update Instructions"

More tests coming :

I will test in the coming days a DP to DVI adapter and HDMI to VGA. In addition, I ordered a third NUC identical to the first two. I will try to export manufacturing configurations using the itoolkit. I will keep you informed of developments.

If anyone know how to retrieve the original settings of the BIOS, I look forward to your solution!

Happy NUC'ing!

• 3. Re: No more video output on displayport after bios update (D34010WYKH)
              RemHep

I have another question that comes to my mind, I know that the ITK replaces the default BIOS, when you follow the instructions "Restoring original BIOS settings", from where the ITK takes those parameters? Are these parameters are read in the BIOS file, or somewhere in the BIOS information on the computer or is it the default known by ITK?

• If those parameters are taken from the BIOS file, they probably differ from one version to another BIOS.
              • If they are taken from the BIOS of the computer, they should return to their original state.
              • If they are taken from the default known by ITK, probably the ITK does not have good defaults for the NUC.

It could be really interesting to get the response from your Intel BIOS guys.

• 4. Re: No more video output on displayport after bios update (D34010WYKH)
                joe_intel

I can try to investigate this issue further but it may take some time; you may want to consider replacing the unit as faster option.