11 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2011 2:26 PM by

Intel Pro1000/GT Desktop & Windows 7

ognenkon

Windows 7 Pro. Windows detect card and put own driwer. All working, but not Vlans.

No success to install ProSet and drivers from Intel   Message No Intel device detected?! Is Pro 1000/GT has win 7 support?

Version 14.3 from 27.07.2009. PROWIN732.exe.

• 1. Re: Intel Pro1000/GT Desktop & Windows 7
          ichun

it looks like Pro/1000 GT Desktop and its chipset (82541) is not in the list of supported adapter in PROWIN732.exe.

you may refer to the download site to see the supported adapter.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?strState=LIVE&ProductID=38&DwnldID=17909&agr=Y&lang=eng&PrdMap=38

• 2. Re: Intel Pro1000/GT Desktop & Windows 7
            ognenkon

10x... My mistake but I looking only into realease notes... Here is other info.... Looking that GT is supported... But is there info will support GT in next realese or not? If not to change NIC....

Microsoft Windows 7 does not support the following devices:
              Intel(R) 82598EB 10 Gigabit KX4 Network Connection
              Intel(R) 10 Gigabit SR Dual Port Express Module
              Intel(R) Ethernet ExpressModule X520-P2
              Intel(R) 82598EB 10 Gigabit AT CX4 Network Connection
              Intel(R) Ethernet X520 10GbE Dual Port KX4 Mezz
              Intel(R) 10 Gigabit BR KX4 Dual Port Network Connection
              Intel(R) PRO/10GbE CX4 Server Adapter
              Intel(R) PRO/10GbE LR Server Adapter
              Intel(R) PRO/10GbE SR Server Adapter
              Intel(R) PRO/100+ Dual Port Server Adapter
              Intel(R) PRO/1000 T Server Adapter
              Intel(R) PRO/1000 F Server Adapter
              Intel(R) PRO/1000 Gigabit Server Adapter
              Intel(R) PRO/1000 XT Network Connection
              Intel(R) PRO/1000 XT Server Adapter
              Intel(R) PRO/1000 XF Server Adapter
              Intel(R) PRO/1000 XF Network Connection
              Intel(R) PRO/1000 T Desktop Adapter
              Intel(R) PRO/1000 T Network Connection
              Intel(R) PRO/1000 XT Desktop Adapter
              Intel(R) PRO/1000 CT Network Connection
              Intel(R) Gigabit VT Quad Port Server Adapter
              Intel(R) PRO/1000 PF Server Adapter
              Intel(R) PRO/1000 PT Quad Port Server Adapter  
              Intel(R) PRO/1000 PT Quad Port Low Profile Server Adapter
            • 3. Re: Intel Pro1000/GT Desktop & Windows 7
              mark_h_@intel

As you have discovered, the base driver for the Intel® PRO/1000 GT Desktop Adapter is included with Windows 7. To configure VLANs on the adapter you would need to install Intel® PROSet and Advanced Network Services (ANS). Intel® PROSet and  and ANS will not be available for the Intel® PRO/1000 GT Desktop Adapter under Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2.

You can see information on the included support for different adapters at:

Is my Intel® Ethernet Adapter supported in Microsoft Windows 7*?

Is my Intel® Ethernet Adapter supported in Microsoft Windows Server* 2008 R2?

• 4. Re: Intel Pro1000/GT Desktop & Windows 7
                ichun

Hi Mark,

Just a follow-up question.

If Proset and ANS are not supported on Pro1000GT on Windows 7, does that mean I cannot team Pro1000GT adapter with server adapter on Windows 7?

• 5. Re: Intel Pro1000/GT Desktop & Windows 7
                  ognenkon

10x Mark, but I think it is very strange to have  support on Vista and NOT support into Seven. There no such difference between OS.

It strange (stupid) way to sell more NIC-s from Intel.

• 6. Re: Intel Pro1000/GT Desktop & Windows 7
                    mashime

I think we have our answer here at Intel website and extracted below:

http://www.intel.com/support/network/sb/CS-030613.htm

"If my Intel® Ethernet adapter only has inbox support, can I add it to an Advanced Network Services (ANS) team?
                    When a team is created using an adapter with full ANS support, you may be able to add the adapter with in box only support to the team. "

Hope this helps:)

• 7. Re: Intel Pro1000/GT Desktop & Windows 7
                      bjornan

Mark,

Intel® PROSet and Advanced Network Services (ANS) are not supported for the Intel® PRO/1000 GT Desktop Adapter on Windows 7. If you try to install the Windows 7 version of PROSet with this adapter, it complains that no Intel adapter is found.

This has been extremely disappointing to me, and I had to go back to Vista. I am totally dependent on VLANs, and this is the only reason I bought my Intel network card. I am not going to buy another that *is* supported, I'd rather 'upgrade' to linux instead.

• 8. Re: Intel Pro1000/GT Desktop & Windows 7
                        NiqueKay

It seems as though all of intel's PCI or PCI-X adapters only have "in box" support (microsoft's driver) on Windows 7 (all versions and architectures) and Server 2008 R2 (all architectures).  None of the advanced features that require ANS or PROSet are supported.  See my post below for a solution.

• 9. Re: Intel Pro1000/GT Desktop & Windows 7
                          NiqueKay

I got it working on Windows 7!

Bjorn, try this and let me know if it works.

I don't have the same adapter as you -- I have the PRO/1000 MT Dual Port Server Adapter, but I have a good feeling that this will work for your adapter, as well as ANY of the PCI or PCI-X adapters that support ANS and PROSet on Vista, but were dropped by Intel on Windows 7.

1.) Download the latest Vista driver (x86 if you're using Win7 x86, x64 if you're using Win7 x64) for your "in box" (no ANS, etc.) supported Windows 7 adapter.

2.) The file should be called "PROVISTAX64.exe" or "PROVISTA32.exe" -- do NOT install it.

3.) Extract it using WinRAR (Right click on file, Select "Extract to...") -- download WinRAR if you don't already have it.

4.) Right click on "My Computer" and go to "Manage" then "Device Manager" then check out "Network Adapters"

5.) Right click on your currently installed adapter(s) go to properties and select the "Driver" tab -- most likely it's using Microsoft's in box Win7 driver.

6.) Hit "Update Driver" then "Browse My Computer for Driver Software"

7.) Browse to the folder you extracted the contents of the the Vista installer to, and make sure "Include subfolders" is checked.

8.) It will now install the Vista drivers for your adapter.  They work fine on Win7, there's no issues as far as I can tell (so far).

9.) If you have an adapter with more than one port (as I do), or multiple intel adapters installed, repeat steps 5-8 for every entry in the device manager that is an Intel adapter.

10.) Now since we're not using the Microsoft driver, download and install the Win 7 version of PROSet.  Should be called "PROWIN7X64.exe" or "PROWIN732.exe"

11.) It will no longer complain about not having any Intel adapters.  It did that before since it was using Microsoft's driver.  Problem solved

Teaming works, VLANs work, and everything else works fine, as far as I can tell.

I have just begun testing and I can find no issues whatsoever!

My switch only supports SLA, so I can't test IEEE 802.3ad -- but I assume that also works fine.

My only question -- why is Intel doing this?

It took me about a half-hour to figure this out, and this wasn't even a difficult "hack" (if you can even call it that) -- didn't have to screw with any registry settings or modify INF files or fake hardware IDs to match the similar PCIe supported adapters...none of that.

It's obvious there are and were no major code changes that affect the driver migration from windows vista to windows 7 (or 2008 R2 for that matter), so why drop support for the PCI and PCI-X adapters, and the other ones as well?  It's something you would expect from a smaller hardware company with little resources, but INTEL?  Come on now.

The "in box" drivers that come with Win7 are useless to most people.

I can't speak for everyone, but the whole reason I purchased this adapter was because of the features that the Advanced Networking Services added (Teaming, TOE, VLAN, among all the other cool stuff!).  Is it really THAT much of a hassle to include this for the PRO series of adapters?

I completely understand that you want people to buy your newer products -- but here's the problem; some of us don't have enough PCIe slots to use your newer Win7 supported NICs.  I am using all of my PCIe slots for Video cards and a RAID card.  The only other high bandwidth slot I have left is PCI-X.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like none of your PCI-X or PCI adapters are fully supported on windows 7...So what are we supposed to do?  Now maybe if PCI-X wasn't still being shipped on new motherboards, then I'd understand, but that's just not the case..

OK, end rant

Thanks, and I hope this helps people from wasting money on a new NIC.

• 10. Re: Intel Pro1000/GT Desktop & Windows 7

Thank you very much egrest0x, this Vista/Win7 combination trick worked perfectly for me, getting VLANs working on Win7 with a Pro 1000 Desktop adapter. Thanks again!

• 11. Re: Intel Pro1000/GT Desktop & Windows 7

@egrest0x - thanks very much

your idea worked perfectly. Having downloaded & installed the Vista64 driver, I then downloaded the latest driver CD and then everything went OK.

thanks again