Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20690 Discussions

What are the differences between Intel HD 4600 graphics driver and Microsoft's standard display driver?

LAnde10
Novice

I am using Microsoft Windows 7 and 8.1, 64-bit. Both these OSes have been updated to the latest service packs and updates.

My monitor is Dell U2312HM, Full HD, 1920x1080p. Dell provides a driver for its monitor as well.

My CPU is Intel i5-4570, Haswell with integrated Intel HD 4600 graphics chip.

As I understand it, Microsoft Windows 8.1 includes a standard display driver.

Could someone tell me what the differences are between Intel HD 4600 graphics driver and Microsoft's standard display driver?

The reason I am asking is my OSes are installed on an Intel 530 series 240GB SSD and the software called "Intel SSD Toolbox v3.2.1.exe" is in conflict with the latest Intel HD 4600 graphics driver. (For more details, please refer to the bug report that I had filed: )

There is no conflict between "Intel SSD Toolbox v3.2.1.exe" and Microsoft's standard display driver.

I appreciate your help in this.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
JBish3
New Contributor II

Hi m@V8, please find your answer below:

Intel HD 4600 graphics driver --> this is the driver that was released by Intel. It is properly tested & passed WHQL certification & Signed driver validation (Checklogo process)

Microsoft's standard display driver --> This is the driver that was release by Microsoft. They are tested with few systems (not like INTEL HD graphics drivers). Also they are not signed by intel signature so if there will be any issue, then you cannot blame them for any performance related issue.

So for short period of time you can use this driver. But in parallel ask intel to resolve the conflict that is coming in thier driver with your SSD driver.

Regards,

Jitendra

0 Kudos
LAnde10
Novice

Hello Jitendra

I'm not quite sure that what you wrote about Microsoft's standard display driver not being signed by Intel was correct.

All hardware manufacturers who want to prove that their devices are compatible with Microsoft OSes are encouraged to obtain WHQL certification. As Microsoft does not manufacture display adapters for desktop monitors, why would it want to seek WHQL certification?

Did you know that Intel does not provide drivers when Microsoft's ones perform the same job equally well?

Let me give you an example.

Despite repeated requests from about 100+ customers of Microsoft Windows 8 and 8.1, Intel has flatly refused to offer its own USB 3.0 native driver. It gives the excuse that the generic USB 3.0 driver provided by Microsoft works just as well. Intel only provides its own USB 3.0 driver for Microsoft Windows Vista and 7 customers.

Customers of Microsoft Windows 8 and 8.1 will tell you that the generic driver provided by Microsoft does not provide the full bandwidth performance expected of a USB 3.0 device. But Intel does not seem to care.

0 Kudos
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Hello m@V8, the information provided by Jitendra is correct. In addition to that I could tell you that Intel HD graphics provide you 3D acceleration and some other graphics features.

In regards to the issue related to the SSD toolbox, I would recommend you testing the latest graphics driver. You would be able to find it at this link https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=3720&DwnldID=23884&ProductFamily=Graphics&ProductLine=Desktop+graphics+drivers&ProductProduct=4th+Generation+Intel%C2%AE+Core%E2%84%A2+Processors+with+Intel%C2%AE+HD+Graphics+4600&lang=eng Download Center

0 Kudos
LAnde10
Novice

Hello Sylvia

Your colleague, Joe, recommended that I install Intel HD Graphics 15.33.0.3574 using the following link: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=3720&DwnldID=23858 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=3720&DwnldID=23858

However you're suggesting that I install driver version 15.33.22.3621.

Naturally I'm confused.

Could both of you discuss and agree on a common answer and then tell me what to do next? (I know both of you are trying your best to help me. Please do not be offended by my sometimes straight-talk.)

Thanks.

0 Kudos
LAnde10
Novice

Hello Sylvia,

This is my latest feedback.

I saw a post by your colleague, Robert, on the availability of the latest driver for Intel HD 4600 graphics.

I notice it is the same file that you had recommended to me on June 4.

I did download and install it.

You know what? The issue that I have with Intel SSD Toolbox v3.2.1 has disappeared. I don't know whether the issue has been resolved for good. I will test my computer for another month or two and will feedback here if the same issue resurfaces.

In any case, I wish to thank you for taking the time to look into my issue.

0 Kudos
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

I'm happy to know it worked. I'm going to report this.

Thanks a lot for letting me know.

0 Kudos