1 2 3 4 Previous Next 45 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2015 6:50 AM by ozalexo

[Update] Galileo Gentoo Linux dd-Image freely available - 08-2016

MaWiesne

Dear everybody,

some time ago, I managed to get an Intel Galileo board to boot Gentoo Linux and have DHCP, SSH and GPIO (all io ports!) up and running. I cross-compiled the image as a "arch=i486" to avoid any segmentation faults with libpthread as observed in i586-like builds of other Linux images (e.g., Debian). A major advantage of Gentoo as everything is build/compiled in accordance with the desired architecture. I compiled my own Clanton/Galileo The image uses a patched Vanilla Kernel in Version 3.19.2 including support for Swap partitions and all Galileo specific features (GPIO...).

GCC version is 4.9.3, Python is available in version 2.7.10, 3.4.3. I also included a tiny LED-blink example in the default user's home directory, which was compiled on the Galileo board itself and gets the onboard LED blinking, yay!

I just finished uploading the dd-gziped image to one of the servers at our university and made that freely available:

https://download.mi.hs-heilbronn.de/galileo/galileo-gentoo-4GB-GPIO-kernel-3.19.2-gcc4.9.3-20160805.img.gz

md5sum of the above file should match:  570a966d3dabb0007c20d120bce03925

The image can be copied over to any >4GB microSD card like so:

gunzip -c galileo-gentoo-4GB-GPIO-kernel-3.19.2-gcc4.9.3-20160805.img.gz | dd of=/dev/<your-block-device-ID-of-the-sd-card> bs=10m

Login over SSH (I did not test serial console):

gentoo/gentoo4ever

root/<see user gentoo>

CHANGELOG:

August

- upgraded to gcc 4.9.3

- updated openssl to 1.0.2h

- latest updates as in Gentoo's Portage tree (date: 2016-08-05)

- shrinked image size by using "zerofree" to wipe out unused bytes from the image

Oktober

- changed to newer kernel 3.19.2 (patched/built from vanilla sources) - provided by xbolshe, credits

- newer kernel gives much better hardware support, especially on mini-PCIe cards (WiFi, bluetooth and so on...)

- fixed a DHCP issue, which caused eth0 device not to be usable and thus ntp-date also failed to set the system time at boot time

- switched system localization from de_DE.UTF-8 to more international en_US.UTF-8

- shrinked image size by using "zerofree" to wipe out unused bytes from the image

- latest updates as in Gentoo's Portage tree (date: 2015-10-15)

- hint:

nodeJS is NOT integrated, as it won't run (and: compile) due to missing SSE2 extension in quark soc

September

- updated openssl to 1.0.2d

- added "htop" system monitor

- latest updates as in Gentoo's Portage tree (date: 2015-09-22)

June

- updated openssl to 1.0.1m

- latest updates as in Gentoo's Portage tree (date: 2015-06-01)

- various other system (security) fixes

November

- compiled and installed a non-Yocto kernel   for the Galileo board - based on official vanilla sources in version 3.8.13 taken from http://www.kernel.org

- enabled support for SWAP partitions (finally!) in the new kernel

- enabled 1-wire library as a kernel module to support sensors based on the 1-Wire protocol, e.g., D18B20 temperature sensor - not possible with 3.8.7 yocto kernels

- added some more cryptographic modules (md5, aes, ripe...) - not possible with 3.8.7 yocto kernels

- added a 256MB swap partition to support memory hungry compile operations - not possible with 3.8.7 yocto kernels

- upgraded glibc to version 2.19 (before 2.17)

- updated openssl to 1.0.1j

October

- fixed critical bash issues - including latest security patches by Gentoo

- added support for serial console as proposed by Kazu-Zamasu

July

- added "distcc" support to help compilation processes from other hosts

- latest updates (openssl,...) as in Gentoo's Portage tree (date: 2014-07-21)

Some interesting results:

The memory footprint: around 28 to 30 MB used after system boot only!

The openssl speed benchmark performs slightly faster than Debian-based distros (in some parts of the benchmark, even though arch is "only" i486 without further optimizations)

Any comments welcome, especially on robustness, optimizations/tweaks for compiler/linker flags - maybe Quark architecture can benefit by optimized GCC flags somehow.

NJoy

MaWiesne

• 1. Re: Galileo Gentoo Linux dd-Image freely available - comments welcome
          Cubiculus

That would be more detailed instructions on how to install gentoo galileo

• 2. Re: Galileo Gentoo Linux dd-Image freely available - comments welcome
            MaWiesne

As explained in the original post, you can install the Gentoo image:

"The image can be copied over to any >4GB microSD card like so:

gunzip -c galileo-gentoo-4GB-GPIO-20140721.img.gz | dd of=/dev/<your-block-device-ID-of-the-sd-card> bs=10m"

This command can ONLY be called on MacOs or Linux/Unix derivates. If on Windows you need to look for a tool which let's you copy "dd"-Images onto SD-Cards.

• 3. Re: [Update] Galileo Gentoo Linux dd-Image freely available - comments welcome
              Kazu-Zamasu

Hello!

I try to your Gentoo image. But, not working my Galileo. My Galileo firmware is newest version.

Please look following URL gist. This is Galileo Serial Console boot-log. last result is "Error 17 Cannot mount selected partition"

Galileo-Gentoo

I have experience same error, this situation is "Newest Galileo Yoct kernel + Debian" "Previous Galileo Yoct Kernel + Debian" is good.

if you can open the "image-full-clamton.ext3" gentoo image, can I Download?

I try to previous Kernel image on test the Galileo.

Regards,

• 5. Re: [Update] Galileo Gentoo Linux dd-Image freely available - comments welcome
                Kazu-Zamasu

I am working your Gentoo img! Thank you!!!

But, not working USB serial and RS232 serial port. I wil try improve.

• 6. Re: [Update] Galileo Gentoo Linux dd-Image freely available - comments welcome
                  Kazu-Zamasu

Hello!

I working Galileo serial port.

Please find following. I changed to etc/inittab.

Before

# SERIAL CONSOLES

s0:12345:respawn:/sbin/agetty -L 115200 ttyS0 vt100

#s1:12345:respawn:/sbin/agetty -L 115200 ttyS1 vt100

After

# SERIAL CONSOLES

#s0:12345:respawn:/sbin/agetty -L 115200 ttyS0 vt100

s1:12345:respawn:/sbin/agetty -L 115200 ttyS1 vt100

But, not working USB serial. I will try improve.

this is bootlog.

Gentoo-Galileo-bootlog

• 7. Re: [Update] Galileo Gentoo Linux dd-Image freely available - comments welcome
                    MaWiesne

Hi Kazu-Zamasu,

I added your proposed fixes (support for serial console) into the image recently. I updated the original post for latest image (link, changes, md5sum).

Best,
                    MaWiesne

• 8. Re: [Update] Galileo Gentoo Linux dd-Image freely available - comments welcome
                      cgkades

Thanks for creating this! One problem, I can't seem to get the NIC to work

* Bringing up interface eth0

*   ERROR: interface eth0 does not exist

*   Ensure that you have loaded the correct kernel module for your hardware

* ERROR: net.eth0 failed to start

• 9. Re: [Update] Galileo Gentoo Linux dd-Image freely available - comments welcome
                        sebby3000

Hi,

I have been running the Debian now for a while, but I will try this as soon as possible.

Do you think you can use the kernel from here https://github.com/todorez/galileo-linux-stable/ it is kernel version 3.19.2 made for Galileo.

Regards,

Sebastian

• 10. Re: [Update] Galileo Gentoo Linux dd-Image freely available - comments welcome
                          sebby3000

Hi,

Same issue here, no network available. When booting up, I can see in the serial terminal following:

* Bringing up interface eth0

*   ERROR: interface eth0 does not exist

*   Ensure that you have loaded the correct kernel module for your hardware

* ERROR: net.eth0 failed to start

* Setting clock via the NTP client 'ntpdate' ...

Exiting, name server cannot be used: Temporary failure in name resolution (-3) * Failed to set clock

[ !! ]

* ERROR: ntp-client failed to start

* Starting dcron ...

[ ok ]

* ERROR: cannot start netmount as net.eth0 would not start

I have attached the whole dmesg at pastebin: http://pastebin.com/Wk8DDZ5w

Aside for this network issue, it looks good. MaWiesne

And one small thing, the installation seems to 'speak' german.

galileo ~ # lsusb

-bash: lsusb: Kommando nicht gefunden.

galileo ~ #

Regards,

Sebastian

• 11. Re: [Update] Galileo Gentoo Linux dd-Image freely available - comments welcome
                            BorisKourt

I have the Ethernet issue listed above. I am also unable to enable wireless via the PCI card.

If you look below it appears that the card is registered and the driver functions. But I don't see it as an interface anywhere. (and ifup, iwconfig, or lspci are not available for me to test.)

Any suggestions?

[   14.239675] Intel(R) Wireless WiF 14.249888] ehci-pci 0000:00:14.3: USB 2.0 started, EHCI 1.00                                                                           
                            [   14.255242] hub 2-0:1.0: USB hub found                                                                                                                                   
                            [   14.255510] hub 2-0:1.0: 2 ports detected                                                                                                                                
                            [   14.314673] iwlwifi 0000:01:00.0: e1:00.0: enabling bus mastering                                                                                                        
                            [   14.315357] iwlwifi 0000:01:00.0: irq 42 for MSI/MSI-X                                                                                                                   
                            [   14.340330] intel_cln_gip 0000:00:15.2: enabling device (0000 -> 0002)                                                                                                   
                            [   14.340528] IOAPIC[0]: Set routing entry (1-18 -> 0xc1 -> IRQ 18 Mode:1 Active:1 Dest:1)                                                                                 
                            [   14.375889] intel_cln_gpio_probe UIO addr 0x90106000 internal_addr 0x00000000 size 3529703424 memtype 4096                                                               
                            [   14.379856] intel_cq 43 for MSI/MSI-X                                                                                                                                    
                            [   14.870357] usb 1-2: new full-speed USB device number 2 using ohci_hcd                                                                                                   
                            [   15.434583] pxa2xx-spi pxa2xx-spi.0: registered master spi0                                                                                                              
                            [   15.460376] spi_master spi0: will run mes476772] pxa2xx-spi pxa2xx-spi.1: registered master spi1                                                                         
                            [   15.477373] spi_master spi1: will run message pump with realtime priority                                                                                                
                            [   16.264269] iwlwifi 0000:01:00.0: request for firmware file 'iwlw[0m[   16.430287] Bluetooth: Core ver 2.16                                                              
                            [   16.430768] NET: Registered protocol family 31                                                                                                                           
                            [   16.430810] Bluetooth: HCI device and connection manager initialized                                                                                                     
                            [   16.435644] BluetoP socket layer initialized                                                                                                                             
                            [   16.436061] Bluetooth: SCO socket layer initialized                                                                                                                      
                            [   16.486237] usbcore: registered new interface driver btusb                                                                                                               
                            [   23.109664] Adding 262140k swap on /dev/mmcblk0p3.  Priority:-gistered protocol family 10   

• 12. Re: [Update] Galileo Gentoo Linux dd-Image freely available - comments welcome
                              xbolshe

Hi,

have you tried to use commands like shown below?

wifion2.jpg

BR,

xbolshe

• 13. Re: [Update] Galileo Gentoo Linux dd-Image freely available - comments welcome
                                BorisKourt

rfkill is not available in root or gentoo users.

• 14. Re: [Update] Galileo Gentoo Linux dd-Image freely available - comments welcome
                                  BorisKourt

I have installed rfkill, pciutils, and wireless-tools manually. (Transfer via usb)

Rfkill only gives me:

0: hci0: Bluetooth                                                                                                                                                         

Soft blocked: no                                                                                                                                                   

Hard blocked: no     

Which is interesting, because Bluetooth and Wifi are on the same intel pci card. So this means that it should have the same driver? But I don't see wifi.

1 2 3 4 Previous Next