3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 4, 2014 3:36 PM by joe_intel

Intel RST reports warnings about RAID volume but can't see or manage it

kerbarian

I recently transferred a RAID 5 array from another machine to mine, and now I have a single SSD plus three drives in RAID 5.  After installing the Intel RST driver (12.9.0.1001), the RAID volume shows up just fine in Windows 7.  However, Intel RST tells me "Your system is reporting one or more events, and data may be at risk."

The problem is, it doesn't show me any of those events, and the RAID volume doesn't appear at all in the "Storage System View" list.  I'd like to know what's going on with the RAID volume, but despite being managed by Intel RST, it doesn't show up in the Intel RST application.  What can I do to get it to show up so I can view its status, rebuild if necessary, etc.?

For reference, this is what I'm seeing:

rst_issue1.png

rst_issue2.png

• 1. Re: Intel RST reports warnings about RAID volume but can't see or manage it
          joe_intel

Kerbarian, may I ask for the status of this RAID volume in the RAID BIOS (Ctrl + I)?

Hopefully this will tell us what is going on. You may also check if there is a RAID option ROM update within a BIOS update.

In case the issue persists please share the computer model and the system report from Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Help, System Report, Save).

Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) — System reports

• 2. Re: Intel RST reports warnings about RAID volume but can't see or manage it
            kerbarian

In looking into this to get more information for you, I ended up solving the issue.

My BIOS was set to AHCI rather than RAID, which was intentional -- with SATA mode set to RAID, the BIOS would show the RAID volume info correctly, but it wouldn't make either volume available as a boot option.  So I booted in AHCI, and after installing the Intel RST driver, the RAID volume worked just fine anyway.  Except that it didn't show up in the Intel RST software.

What I suspect happened is that Windows was managing the RAID array (which was created with ICH9R) as a software RAID array.  I'm not sure about this, and I'm surprised that Win7 could manage an array in software that was created with Intel chipset RAID, but it's my best guess.  I also don't know why this would cause the volume to not appear at all in the Intel RST software -- that seems like a bug.  That's all speculation, though.

What I did to fix the issue was:

1. Install a BIOS update, from Asus Z97-A BIOS 0604 (less than a month old) to 1008.  This fixes the issue of the hard drives being unavailable as boot options when SATA mode is set to RAID.
            2. Update the registry to change HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStorV\Start from 3 to 0 (so Win7 doesn't bluescreen when booting with SATA mode as RAID).
            3. Change the SATA mode in BIOS from AHCI to RAID.
            4. After booting with SATA as RAID, reinstall Intel RST (setupRST.exe).  It would fail with an error on launch before the reinstall.

The only visible change from all that is that the RAID volume now shows up in the Intel RST software -- it looks identical in Device Manager -- but I suspect it changed from software to chipset (Z97) control.  Also, Intel RST says "Your system is functioning normally," and it never went through a rebuild or anything.  So I don't know what the original "Your system is reporting one or more events, and data may be at risk" was about.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Intel RST reports warnings about RAID volume but can't see or manage it
              joe_intel
              I also don't know why this would cause the volume to not appear at all in the Intel RST software -- that seems like a bug.

This is expected behavior, the software will not be able to make use of the RAID volume since the BIOS was not set to RAID.

So I don't know what the original "Your system is reporting one or more events, and data may be at risk" was about.

I did not find any information regarding this message but it seems that the software did not like having this RAID volume together with the AHCI mode.

Anyway, it is great that you got it running.