Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

BSOD on Intel HD 4000 Graphics driver

MStru
Beginner

Hi all, looking for a little assistance if anyone is willing and able.

Have had my HTPC up and running for years, decided to upgrade the CPU & RAM.

mobo: GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 Rev1.0 (link to drivers)

bios: F10

new CPU: i7 3770k

new RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800) (2x8GB)

onboard graphics HDMI connection to AVR to TV

Old CPU was an i3-2100.

I ended up getting a BSOD on startup after updating the Intel graphics driver. (Intel VGA Driver (for Ivy Bridge CPU) version 15.33.8.3345)

I then started from scratch and did a wipe of the SSD & reinstalled Windows.

I installed every update from Windows Update EXCEPT for the Intel Graphics Adapter update and made sure all drivers are updated EXCEPT for the VGA driver listed above.

I then made my restore point, and the restart after applying either driver or Windows Update results in BSOD again.

From BlueScreenView, I get the following:

igdkmd64.sys igdkmd64.sys+1906c4 fffff880`048cc000 fffff880`04ce8000 0x0041c000 0x526eddae 10/28/2013 4:57:02 PM

I do see that there is a BIOS update available after F10, a UEFI BIOS. I've seen that it is problematic to upgrade to, so I'm waiting on trying that as a last resort.

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3855# bios GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1155 - GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 (rev. 1.0)

I'm not sure what else to look at...CPU is listed as supported by the mobo with BIOS F10. Everything seems fine until I try to update the Intel video drivers, so it really doesn't seem like a bad CPU.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks all!

0 Kudos
12 Replies
MStru
Beginner

Update...

If I connect from the PC directly to the TV with a DVI (bypassing the AVR and not using HDMI), then no BSOD and the Intel driver updates fine via Windows Update.

I then swapped back to HDMI and BSOD again.

Does this look like a bad driver?

0 Kudos
AFalo
Beginner

In my experience, Intel HDMI driver, especially the Display Audio part of it is still unstable and there is not much you can do about it, other then changign the GPU in your PC. Mine has BSOD every 3 cycles of sleep/resume... only on HDMI

0 Kudos
MStru
Beginner

well, after almost 24hours of fighting it, I just found an Intel HD 4000 driver from Dec 2012, installed that...and so far so good.

if anyone has any gotchas I should be aware of, please advise.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
AFalo
Beginner

Maybe I should try older versions ... where did you find it?

Gotchas would be everything you can see in Release Notes PDFs for each release between the one you using and the current one.

0 Kudos
MStru
Beginner
0 Kudos
AFalo
Beginner

Thanks for the link - I'll report if this helps.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Just in case it is needed, this is the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23714 latest driver for Intel® HD Graphics 4000.

It is also a good idea to update the BIOS.

0 Kudos
AFalo
Beginner

Joe,

Current and previous versions (the only ones available from Intel as of now) are not working for me.

In my case, HDMI audio driver stops recognising HDMI connection after a random number of PC sleep/resume cycles - mostly between 1 and 3, but sometimes more. Windows wakes up with a red cross over the speaker icon in taskbar, and HDMI audio is disabled. Almost always after that Windows 7 64 bit crashes (BSOD & reboot) on next suspend. BIOS is the current/latest ASUS one.

If you do a quick google for "Intel HD graphics HDMI sound or audio" you will see that this is a major problem for a lot of people.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

I am aware of the issue but I have not seen any previous one causing a Blue Screen of Death, only in this case, which could mean it is a slightly different problem. You may also want to check if there is a firmware update for the AVR and take a look to this note: /message/218663# 218663 https://communities.intel.com/message/218663# 218663

0 Kudos
AFalo
Beginner

Thanks for that Joe; it is good to see Intel is on this case

Well, it is not really a Blue Screen as such that I can see - when you attempt to suspend Windows AFTER Intel Display Audio driver looses the audio output (eg. when a red cross appears over the speaker icon in the task bar) PC simply crashes and turns of instead. You can tell that it indeed crashed (and did not just shut down) as on the next power-on you get the message "Windows did not shut down properly". So more likely then not, this driver has a memory corruption/overwriting issue which crashes the OS - once it gets in this 'confused' state.

Other symptoms are exactly the same as described on the page for which you provided the link.

I checked that all components have the latest firmware (Samsung TV, Onkyo AVR) and had updated Asus bios for H87M-PRO last released 2014/05/28 (Version 1502), Fully updated Windows 7 64 bit and re-installed current Intel GPU driver. No change.

Considering that the HDMI Audio Loss - call to action is now 6 months old (or over half a year if you prefer), could you update your customers with progress on this issue? Specifically, if Intel had to fix BIOS to resolve this on it's motherboards, are you working with Asus on this? Reading there release notes, and given the fact that they released a BIOS update just few days ago, it would seem this is not progressing....

Needles to say, this issue is making any PC with Intel GPU and Media PC purpose which required an HDMI connection - unusable.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

I appreciate you have corrected your description of the issue, I wonder if it is the same case for ms_1.

I am sorry this has become a bad experience, hopefully this driver will help you.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=3712&DwnldID=23885 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=3712&DwnldID=23885

0 Kudos
AFalo
Beginner

Thanks for your comment and the link to the new driver version.

See my response I posted on that thread. In short, it is not working. In some ways, it is even less working then the previous versions.

The only improvement, if you can call it that, is that so far the new driver did not crash Windows on entering suspend state.

0 Kudos