1 2 Previous Next 21 Replies Latest reply on Nov 6, 2014 2:31 PM by joe_intel

No Display with NUC 2820 and Onkyo AV at 50Hz

mind14

Hello.

I recently bought Intel NUC 2820 but it doesn't work with my Onkyo NR906 AV Receiver. I get no display!

When I connect the NUC directly to the TV everything is ok. This way I can see the initial boot screen and by pressing F2 I updated the bios and installed OpenELEC.

After many tests I found out that the no display problem is in the refresh rate of 50Hz. It seems that NUC cannot output picture at 50Hz.

The boot screen is visible only at 50Hz and only when the NUC is directly connected to the TV (I can see the refresh rate by pressing the TV's info button).

Also, this initial screen (with the F2, F7 and F10 options) occupies a small center part of the TV's screen instead of being full screen.

But this boot screen is not displayed when I connect NUC to my Onkyo AV Receiver. Although, after booting to OpenELEC I can get the display. But this is happening only because in OpenELEC settings I have set the video output at 24 or 60Hz. When I set it at 50Hz the problem happens again.

As I said I installed the latest bios and the only OS I'm running is OpenELEC.

Can you please help?

• 1. Re: No Display with NUC 2820 and Onkyo AV at 50Hz
          joe_intel

Hello mind14, we usually provide suggestions to issues related to Linux* distributions as best effort and we invite other Linux* users to share their comments and solutions. However, you may also want to post your inquiry in the community of this operating system distribution since the official support is through the respective developer.

Please refer to this article for a list of operating systems supported by Intel® NUCs.

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-034034.htm

• 2. Re: No Display with NUC 2820 and Onkyo AV at 50Hz
            mind14

The problem is that I get no display when I connect the NUC to the AV Receiver.

I had to connect the NUC directly to my TV in order to see the boot screen, update the bios and install an OS (openelec in my case).

The problem has nothing to do with the OS. I insatalled openelec as a workaround, in order to see picture through my receiver.

I played many video files but when the refresh rate is at 50Hz I get no picture!

So, NUC > Onkyo AV > TV no display at 50Hz

NUC > TV everything is ok!

Can you please tell your engineers that NUC 2820 cannot work with Onkyo 906 AV? This is happening when NUC outputs at 50Hz.

Is it possible to fix this problem with a future update of the bios?

• 3. Re: No Display with NUC 2820 and Onkyo AV at 50Hz
              joe_intel

Please check if there is a firmware update for your AVR and that you are using a straight cable.

• 4. Re: No Display with NUC 2820 and Onkyo AV at 50Hz
                mind14

There are no firmware updates for my Onkyo TX-NR 906.

I am using a simple HDMI to HDMI cable to connect the NUC with the AVR, if that's what you mean.

I also tried 3 different cables but no luck.

The picture that NUC outputs to Onkyo is incompatible at 50Hz (such as the boot screen). Every other refresh rate is ok.

Is this something that can be fixed with a bios update? I would like to know please...

• 5. Re: No Display with NUC 2820 and Onkyo AV at 50Hz
                  mind14

Can you please tell me if this issue is going to be resolved or not?

If it is impossible to fix I would like to know.

Also, does anyone know if the other models of NUC are compatible with my AVR (Onkyo TX-NR 906)?

• 6. Re: No Display with NUC 2820 and Onkyo AV at 50Hz
                    joe_intel

Our engineering department is aware and researching this type of issues related to AVRs; however, it may take some time to find a solution since it is difficult to test all brands and models available in the market.

• 7. Re: No Display with NUC 2820 and Onkyo AV at 50Hz
                      mind14

It has been over two months since I bought 2820 and I still cannot use it!

If there is anything I could do to help (maybe beta test a BIOS update) please let me know...

Thank you.

• 8. Re: No Display with NUC 2820 and Onkyo AV at 50Hz
                        mind14

Unfortunately the last two BIOS updates for 2820 do not fix my problem.

Is it too much to ask from your engineers to take a look at this issue and provide a solution?

My Onkyo TX-NR906 AVR is a popular model and I believe that many people would benefit...

After all, I paid for a HTPC device that I cannot use with my AV Receiver and I have been waiting for a solution since May!

Please, I would like to know if my problem is going to be resolved soon...

Thanks again...

• 9. Re: No Display with NUC 2820 and Onkyo AV at 50Hz
                          JakeW

Just to play devil's advocate here...

The NR906 was released in 2008.  That alone does not mean that it should not be compatible, but it's old enough to use an older HDMI spec.  Again, that doesn't mean that you shouldn't expect it to work, but sometimes devices just don't play well together especially when they're from different generations.  Many other people have no problems using their NUCs as HTPCs with other receivers.  If Intel doesn't bend over backwards to make sure that the NUC is compatible with a six-year-old receiver, I don't blame them.

Also have you considered the possibility that the problem lies with the receiver itself?  Maybe it cannot pass through your desired refresh rate.

• 10. Re: No Display with NUC 2820 and Onkyo AV at 50Hz
                            mind14

Why don't you blame them? It's Intel's obligation to make sure that NUC works flawlessly out of the box, with any receiver at any refresh rate! Especially when this device is advertised as HTPC.

People who buy NUC (or HTPC) are going to connect it mainly to an AVR, no matter how old it is. If the receiver has HDMI input then NUC should be compatible with it.

When I bought 2820 the last thing I expected is having this kind of connectivity problems. I have connected my Onkyo 906 with many different devices (older or newer HTPCs, media players, dvd players, PS3/4, etc.) and I never had problems.

My AVR being 6 years old, from a different generation than the NUC, is a really poor excuse. I didn't see any warning not to use NUC with 6 years old (or older) receivers! And I shouldn't be here asking for a firmware update in order to use a device that I bought 5 months ago...

To answer your last question, Onkyo can pass through any refresh rate (24, 25, 30, 50, 60 Hz) from any device that I have connected, without problems. Only the signal from the NUC 2820 is impossible to display at that specific refresh rate (25/50 Hz).

• 11. Re: No Display with NUC 2820 and Onkyo AV at 50Hz
                              JakeW

Maybe ask some other NR906 owners here:

The "Official" Onkyo TX-NR906 Owners Thread... - Page 70 - AVS Forum

Someone else could have had a similar problem and knows a solution.

• 12. Re: No Display with NUC 2820 and Onkyo AV at 50Hz
                                JasonHoffman

Have you tried one or two different HDMI cables?  I've come across a fair number of HDMI cables that just aren't up to the task with the NUCs.  Just recently I set up a new HTPC on my workbench (720p).  When I moved it to my TV (1080p) it stayed at 720p.  The 1080p resolution wasn't even listed. I swapped the HDMI cable out, rebooted, and it automatically switched to 1080p.

I've found more than a few HDMI cables that would work with other components, but when connected to a NUC would be problematic.  I don't think that's a NUC-specific problem either, because I had similar cable issues with my old i7 with ATI video and HDMI out.

I'm not saying it's a cable issue, just that it's something worth testing.

• 13. Re: No Display with NUC 2820 and Onkyo AV at 50Hz
                                  JakeW

The OP wrote above that he tried three different cables.

• 14. Re: No Display with NUC 2820 and Onkyo AV at 50Hz
                                    JasonHoffman

Sorry, I missed that.  I came in late on this one and didn't see it.

1 2 Previous Next