Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20620 Discussions

Intel HD 4600 graphics over scaling and blurriness at 1080p

MSumm
Beginner

This could be a long question so I ask you to bear with me

I recently built my new rig with an Intel i5 4670 and for now am using the Intel HD 4600 integrated graphics. I finally got round to setting up my 28" HDTV via HDMI from a Gigabyte D85M-D3H motherboard as a second monitor (my main monitor is a 19" HDTV connected via VGA which works perfectly)

The problem is that on the 28" HDMI monitor not only is there severe over scaling issues but all the text is extremely blurry to the point where im struggling to read it. I can fix the over scaling with the Intel HD graphics menu but the blurriness remains. The 28" is set to 1920x1080 which is its native resolution. I also tried the 19" with a HDMI cable the the problem carried over which makes me think it is either a problem with the 4600 or the HDMI cable I brought.

I've been looking for the whole afternoon and have yet to find a fix that works for me so any help is very appreciated! thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Hello MaxS, thanks for contacting us through the Intel Communities.

This seems to be a cable issue, since the VGA monitor is working OK. It will be helpful to test the 29" TV using another HDMI cable. You could also try using VGA or DVI connexion if it has any of those video ports.

I would also recommend you to try our graphics driver version. You would be able to download it at the following link

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=3720&DwnldID=23714&ProductFamily=Graphics&ProductLine=Desktop+graphics+drivers&ProductProduct=4th+Generation+Intel%C2%AE+Core%E2%84%A2+Processors+with+Intel%C2%AE+HD+Graphics+4600&lang=eng https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=3720&DwnldID=23714&ProductFamily=Graphics&ProductLine=Desktop+graphics+drivers&ProductProduct=4th+Generation+Intel%C2%AE+Core%E2%84%A2+Processors+with+Intel%C2%AE+HD+Graphics+4600&lang=eng

Regards,

0 Kudos
MSumm
Beginner

Thank you for your reply I have tried the HDMI cable with both an original Xbox 360 and dedicated 1080p computer monitor and they both displayed fine. I also ran the graphic driver program that you linked and that still did not fix it

0 Kudos
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

MaxS, this seems to be an issue related to the video controller of the processor.

I recommend you contacting our customer support department for additional information on replacing your product if it is still under warranty.

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/contactsupport http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/contactsupport

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

You guys removed a very critical option from your control panel. Your driver overscans automatically once it detects a TV . There is no such thing as "TV" these days. You simply feed the PDP or LCD/OLED with native HDMI signal and still have overscan option enable/disable for people who otherwise need it.

I will check if there is a way to switch to other GPU (AMD/ATI) on this portable computer just because its driver still have option to disable overscan so we can see start menu. I am an Intel customer for years (since Pentium 75) and I have never seen Intel treat their advanced users like some sort of morons who will be confused by technical options. You can simply HIDE the option under 'advanced' menu so all would be happy.

This time I couldn't watch a movie or use my i5 Computer. It could be a very critical business presentation and I could lose the information on screen, no we can't tell people to throw away their Barco $50K projectors just because some guy there wanted to behave like Microsoft and removed technical options from integrated graphics. Mainly business guys/women choose Intel GMA since they care about 2D and simple (non game) 3D. Your guys remove a very critical option without asking anyone and inviting a very nasty surprise to your customers.

Actually this is exactly Apple/OSX behaviour, overscanning automatically and don't let user choose without doing crazy dangerous hacks. Every serious Apple user lived this one way or another. This is PC/Windows. People choose this configuration for flexibility and having such options. Whoever removes perfectly working things out there may go back to Apple.

0 Kudos
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Ilgaz, thanks alot for your feedback. I'm going to report your comments to engineering.

I really apologize for the inconvenience you have faced because of the changes.

0 Kudos