7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2014 4:35 PM by Intel_Jesus

Linux hanging at Initrd (BSP 1.0)

Krampus

I built a new image-full from the new (well, now old) BSP.  When I try to boot, it gets stuck right after it finds Initrd.  The serial output ends with:

[Linux-EFI, setup=0x10cd, size=0x1de2d0]                                       

[Initrd, addr=0xd895000, size=0x2a91b5]

Unfortunately, that doesn't give me a lot to go on as far as debugging.  Is there a common "oops, you forgot this" that I'm missing?  According to the BSP documentation, I should just need to copy over the grub.efi, bzImage, image-full-clanton.ext3, core-image-minimal-initramfs-clanton.cpio.gz, and boot/grub/grub.conf over to the SD card.  The prebuilt image worked fine, but I'm missing something when I do my own build.

Here's the relevant part of grub.conf.  I didn't mess with the boot lines it came up with (although I turned up the timeout on the grub menu):

title Clanton SVP kernel-MassStorage initrd-MassStorage image-full IMR-On IO-APIC/HPET NoEMU debug

root (hd0,0)

kernel /bzImage root=/dev/ram0 console=ttyS1,115200n8 earlycon=uart8250,mmio32,$EARLY_CON_ADDR_REPLACE,115200n8 vmalloc=384M reboot=efi,warm apic=debug rw LABEL=boot debugshell=5 rootimage=image-full-clanton.ext3

initrd /core-image-minimal-initramfs-clanton.cpio.gz

As far as the image goes, I changed local.conf to use "clanton-full" as the DISTRO.  I also had to grab a patch from upstream for building guile with GCC 4.8 and add texinfo to the build recipe to satisfy guile's dependency on it.  The rest ought to be standard.

I haven't tried cleaning and rebuilding nor have I grabbed the newest BSP released yesterday to see if that fares better.  I'll do that eventually, but I didn't want to wait for it to rebuild.   Anyone have any other suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong?

• 1. Re: Linux hanging at Initrd (BSP 1.0)
          Carlos_Intel

Hello Krampus!

We are going to investigate more about your issue, if we are able to find out something that helps you, we will let you know!

Best Regards!

• 2. Re: Linux hanging at Initrd (BSP 1.0)
            Krampus

Thanks!  Don't spend too much time on it though;  I gave very few details to go from and it's almost certainly going to boil down to my having done something wrong in how I built the image.   What I'm more looking for is if anyone knew a common "gotcha" that might result in Initrd stalling out or some way to get more visibility into what's happening when it does.  The latter is almost certainly require figuring out where my JTAG box got to, which is an even less appealing task than simply rebuilding everything.

• 3. Re: Linux hanging at Initrd (BSP 1.0)
              AlexT_Intel

Everything in the steps you've performed looks ok to me. Grub config is fine and the list of files you need is correct. So yeah, it must be something within the build that got screwed up. I haven't seen such problems in this community yet, if that helps :-) I personally haven't built the clanton-full-based image, but with -tiny-based ones I haven't ever seen such a problem.

FWIW :-)

• 4. Re: Linux hanging at Initrd (BSP 1.0)
                Krampus

When I get some time, I'll dig out my JTAG pod and see if I can figure out what it's doing with OpenOCD.  My money is that I did something "so trivially stupid, I'd never guess."

• 5. Re: Linux hanging at Initrd (BSP 1.0)
                  Intel_Jesus

Hi Krampus,

Are you still having problems with your Intel Galileo board not booting? This looks like the firmware needs to be updated to 1.0.0.

Regards,

Intel_Jesus

• 6. Re: Linux hanging at Initrd (BSP 1.0)
                    Krampus

I haven't gone back to try again for awhile.  I did get a JTAG pod so I could try to do some debugging on it, but time's been tight.

I'm pretty sure I've got the latest firmware image (whatever one came with BSP 1.0) though.  What makes you think it's an issue with the firmware?  Why would the stock Yocto and Debian images boot fine but mine wouldn't if it's a firmware (I'm assuming you mean EFI) problem?

• 7. Re: Linux hanging at Initrd (BSP 1.0)
                      Intel_Jesus

Hi Krampus,

The reason i thought it might be your firmware was because i had a similar issue with a build that would get hanged at the same message, and doing the firmware update fixed it.

[Linux-EFI, setup=0x10cd, size=0x1de2d0]                                      

[Initrd, addr=0xd895000, size=0x2a91b5]

In your case, since the stock Linux image boot just fine, it doesn't look like a firmware issue.

Regards,

Intel_Jesus