2 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2014 11:29 AM by Involute

RAID1 drives aren't duplicates

Involute

I'm running Intel Matrix Storage Console 8.9 on Win7 x64.  I have my OS and apps on an SSD (drive C) and my data on 2 HDDs configured as a RAID1 (mirror; drive E).  Earlier today I accidentally split the RAID.  I only noticed when I booted my system and realized everything was suddenly about 6 months old (calendar entries in Outlook, files, folders, etc.); nothing newer than 6 months ago was anywhere to be found on my E drive (the RAID).  That's when I noticed the drive was now two drives, D & E.  The data on the D drive was current.  As I write this, I'm rebuilding the RAID (I was careful to boot with the out-of-date drive unplugged, then rebooted with it plugged in), but I was surprised to discover this discrepancy between the two drives.  It's as if one of the drives hasn't been updated in 6 months.  Shouldn't they be identical?  Shouldn't the Matrix Storage Manager throw an error if they're not when Windows loads?  Thanks for comments.

• 1. Re: RAID1 drives aren't duplicates
          kevin_intel

Hello Involute,

I am sorry you are having problems with your system but let me help you.

As you say, when having RAID 1 configured the information should be exactly the same since it should be mirroring everything. It is very strange to see this happening.

I recommend you updating the BIOS and also you can try reinstalling the application. Here you can download it:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=3154&DwnldID=18064

• 2. Re: RAID1 drives aren't duplicates
            Involute

It turns out I don't think Matrix Storage Manager has been running all that time and I only just noticed I wasn't receiving it's notification on bootup. I don't know what stopped it running 6 months ago, or if that's the reason one drive was 6 months older than the other, but it's running again since I rebuilt the RAID, and I'm getting the "all's well" notification on boot, so I "assume" everything's back to normal. I'll just have to make sure I keep getting that notification, and pay closer attention to the BIOS screens on bootup.