7 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2014 7:31 AM by sylvia_intel

Can I undo a RAID 1 configuration based on IRST under XP/Pro

baumgrenze

My custom built computer is based on a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P Intel P35 ATX (rev. 2.1) and a Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (2.4 GHz) Quad Core processor. I requested RAID 1 as a feature when I ordered it.

I had a RAID 1 array based on IRST running under XP/Pro as my data storage disk drive. It was first composed of two 477 Gb WD Caviar (WDC WD5000AAKS-00A7B0) hard disks. One drive failed and I was sent a 610 Gb (WD6400AAKS-00E4A0) to substitute for the failed drive.

I have moved on to Windows 7/Pro x64. After reading more about what RAID 1 can and cannot do, I've decided not to implement under Windows 7.

1) Do I need to do anything to undo the RAID 1 to guarantee stable performance by these two hard disks?

I have not knowingly installed IRST under Windows 7. Computer Management reports that I am currently using a Microsoft driver (6.1.7600.16385) dated 6/21/2006.

2) If I do have to undo the RAID 1, what steps should I take so that I do not suffer data loss on the drive?

thank you,

baumgrenze

• 1. Re: Can I undo a RAID 1 configuration based on IRST under XP/Pro
          sylvia_intel

Hello Baumgrenze, thanks for contacting us through the Intel Communities. Before I give a recommendation, I have a little question:

What I understand from your post is that you already upgraded your system to Windows 7, does it mean that you installed Windows in the Hard Disk Drives part of the RAID level you had?

If you did and what you want to do now is to destroy the RAID level to have Windows running in one Hard Driveyou can do it within Windows. Just install the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology and select the option “Delete volume” under the “manage button”. Automatically the storage controller will use one of the Hard Drives to run the Operating System and then you can manually format the other HDD and use it for storage or any other purpose.

You can also do it directly from the Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology BIOS but that will delete the information in both HDDs and you'll need to install Windows from scratch.

It is very important to back up all you data before making any change on your system.

• 2. Re: Can I undo a RAID 1 configuration based on IRST under XP/Pro
            baumgrenze

Thank you, Sylvia,

Thanks especially for a reply on Memorial Day. That's above and beyond.

The Win 7 and programs are on a new 128 Gb SSD, so that is not an issue.

Currently I have the two ~500 Gb WD Caviar drives that were my data drives on my XP system both attached to my MOBO. They are no longer a RAID 1 array, but they were. My concern it that IRST somehow marked them so that they still see themselves as part of a RAID in need of repair. I've only been using one of the two drives to store data since installing Windows 7.

I'm concerned because I've seen some flaky behavior in the last few days.

I was warned that CHKDSK needed to run on F:\. This is the disk that has been 'idle' under Windows 7.  I was in a rush and I ignored the warning as it was bedtime. When I later restarted the system, CHKDSK ran on D:\, not of F:\.

I've been evaluating Apache Open Office Writer. I pasted a few pages of text into a document, changed line breaks into paragraph marks, eliminated double paragraph marks, and formatted the paragraphs to 0 pts before and 3 pts after. I decided to do a Save As to preserve my work. I realized I wanted a date from the top of the document. I closed the Save As dialog, navigated to the top of page 1, and tried again to save the document. The two step file path I tried to save to under "My Documents" was gone, no trace. I've done a thorough search. I've asked on the AOO forum and been assured that AOO could not have caused the problem.

Perhaps the drives are tired. They do not last forever. The one labeled D:\ is original with the system which was built in March 2008. The one labeled F:\ was installed in August 2009 when I decided to mirror my data as well as my OS/program files.

Thanks in advance for any insights into how IRST might have 'tagged' these two drives as RAID drives

• 3. Re: Can I undo a RAID 1 configuration based on IRST under XP/Pro
              sylvia_intel

Now I have a clearer idea of what you have. The RAID structure is saved within the HDD's and even if you install them in a different machine they will keep this structure. As a matter of fact, if the board fails, all you need is replacing it, enabling the RAID in the new board BIOS and connect the drives.

The Storage controller will read automatically the RAID information from the drives. There are two ways to remove this RAID information from the drives:

1- By entering the RAID BIOS and delete the RAID Array

2- By entering the RAID BIOS and set the HDDs as non RAID.

I'm afraid that by doing this, there is a big chance for the data stored in those drives to be deleted so it will be important to hack it up before doing that.

• 4. Re: Can I undo a RAID 1 configuration based on IRST under XP/Pro
                baumgrenze

Thank you, Sylvia,

So I am left with one concern, is the data on the drives any less stable if they are marked as RAID drives but they are used independently?

Should I 'leave sleeping dogs.lie" or not?

Thanks,

baumgrenze

• 5. Re: Can I undo a RAID 1 configuration based on IRST under XP/Pro
                  sylvia_intel

The stability of the information doesn’t vary and the efficiency of the drives is the same as if they are on non RAID mode, the only difference is that the drives remain as part of a RAID array, but that doesn't affect the data at all.

• 6. Re: Can I undo a RAID 1 configuration based on IRST under XP/Pro
                    baumgrenze

Thank you Sylvia,

Let's consider this 'case closed.'

baumgrenze