Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4778 Discussions

Problem with Intel RAID Controller RS3UC080

SJimm
Beginner

I have an RSCUC080 RAID Controller card and the arrays connected to this controller randomly disappear from the system. The arrays usually reappear after rebooting the machine, but every once in a while they do not and I have to reboot multiple times. This usually happens at least once a day and has been going on for several weeks. I did not have this problem the first several week I had this card. The controller card is still under warranty, but I wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions about what the problem could be before submitting a warranty claim.

I have the latest BIOS and firmware for all the components below including the RS3UC080.

Thanks,

Shane

SYSTEM

Case: NORCO RPC-4220 4U Rackmount Server Chassis w/ 20 Hot-Swappable SATA/SAS 6G Drive Bays (currently using 11 drive bays)

Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme6

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K Haswell

Memory: 16 GB Crucial Ballistix Sport (PC3 10600)

Graphics: MSI R7 265 2GD5 OC 2GB 256-Bit GDDR5

RAID Controller 1: Onboard

SSD: SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE250BW 2.5" 250GB

Array: RAID 10 using four 3GB SATA 6 hard drives (it is using a mixture of desktop and NAS drives and there are no issues with this array)

RAID Controller 2: RSCUC080 (both of the following arrays randomly disappear)

Array 1: RAID 0 using three 1 TB hard drives (these are all 3 Gbps, desktop drives)

Array 2: RAID 10 using four 3 TB SATA 6 hard drives (all HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB 7200 RPM 6 Gbps)

2 - PCI TV Tuner Cards

1 - PCI Express TV Tuner Card

Power Supply: EVGA Supernova 1300 G2 (1300W Gold Power Supply)

3 - SilenX EFX-12-15 120mm Effizio Quiet Case Fan

2 - SilenX EFX-08-15 80mm Effizio Quiet Case Fan

Windows 8.1 Update 1 with Media Center

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

I would see if there is any settings in BIOS to wait for each HDDs to spin up and POST. Also although you have a 1300W PSU, if 10 drives spin up at the same time, the overall current may still exceed limit. Does your backplane support spinning up the drives one by one?

0 Kudos
SJimm
Beginner

The main problem I have is the arrays disappearing after the OS has booted and has been running for a while. I don't typically have an issue with the arrays immediately after a reboot although I have seen this at least once. I will have to check to see if the backplane supports spinning up the drives one by one and I will also check the BIOS settings tomorrow as you suggested.

0 Kudos