3 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2014 8:09 AM by kevin_intel

Windows 8.1 Update 1 and Flash Video Stutters on Intel HD 3000

Nemix

Hi,

I previously posted a message on fixing blurry text and video corruption with the Intel HD 3000 on the release of Windows 8.1 in fall of 2013 in this forum and seems like the problem got fixed with the 3347 drivers released by Intel in Winter 2013.

Everything has been has been running fine till I updated to Windows 8.1 Update 1 and now there is a serious problem with Adobe Flash videos in Firefox and Internet Explorer 11 on the HD 3000, I've updated to the latest driver 3517 released by Intel in Spring 2014 but nothing seems to be working.

I've also tried to reinstall Windows 8.1 Update 1 fresh with the latest video drivers from Intel and the problem still persists, when watching flash videos the video randomly stutters for 1 sec though the audio does not this is an indication it's not a buffering problem since when I uninstall the Intel drivers from Windows 8.1 Update 1 and run the default drivers provided by Windows (Standard Microsoft Video Adapter in Device Manager) and watch flash videos the stutter is completely gone which brings me the conclusion that it's a Intel video drivers problem with the HD 3000 and Windows 8.1 Update 1 and Adobe Flash.

This does not happen on Windows 7 which installed after pretty much giving up on Windows 8.1 Update 1 and Intel HD 3000 video drivers.

I know that Adobe has a part to blame in this since this does not happen in Chrome with the 3517 drivers and Windows 8.1 Update 1 but it's seems more like a Intel optimization issue with Windows 8.1 Update 1 and flash videos in Internet Explorer 11 and Firefox which did not happen in Windows 8.1 with the 3347 drivers.

Can you please forward this message to Intel driver developers so they can look into the problem and fix the problem with a future video driver update for the HD 3000 and Windows 8.1 Update 1 since the extended date before having to update to Windows 8.1 Update 1 is nearing in June 10, 2014 and all users on Windows 8.1 will be forced to update to Update 1 to get future security patches and fixes.

System Specs:

Lenovo Y570 (BIOS 2.12)

Intel i7-2670QM

Samsung 8GB DDR3

Intel 525 120GB

Hitachi Travelstar 1TB

Intel Cnetrino 6205

Windows 8.1 with Update 1

Thanks in advance,

• 1. Re: Windows 8.1 Update 1 and Flash Video Stutters on Intel HD 3000
          kevin_intel

Hello Nemix,

I am sorry to hear you are having these problems with your system but I will help you out.

Checking the information you have provided, I see you are using Windows 8.1. Have you tried Windows 8? I am asking this because Intel® HD 3000 is validated for Windows 7 and Windows 8 but not Windows 8.1 so this may be the reason why you are having these problems.

Here you can check this information:

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-034343.htm?wapkw=cs-034343

• 2. Re: Windows 8.1 Update 1 and Flash Video Stutters on Intel HD 3000
            Nemix

Hi,

Yes, I was on Windows 8 and upgraded to Windows 8.1 at release which did not have proper driver support the first couple months but that has been fixed with driver 3347 for the HD 3000.

Everything runs as should on Windows 8 and Windows 8.1, just that Windows 8.1 Update 1 broke a few things that might be Microsoft's Update, Adobe's Flash and Intel video drivers at fault.

I did not have this problem prior to Update 1 on Windows 8.1 with drivers 3347 and with Windows 8.1 Update 1 regardless of latest drivers 3517 or previous driver 3347 (that worked flawlessly on Windows 8.1 non Update 1), flash videos still stutter  for 1sec randomly during online streams.

Personally I would prefer to run Windows 8.1 as oppose to Windows 8 since the update was free, I find Windows 8.1 is more user friendly than Windows 8 and all the initial driver problems I had with Windows 8.1 has been ironed out; I just don't get why Update 1 broke some things since not a major update to Windows 8.1 as Windows 8.1 was to Windows 8 with the kernel changes (I gave Intel time to fix drivers with Windows 8.1 because of the kernel change but with Update 1 to Windows 8.1 these video related problems should not be happening anymore).

System Specs:

Lenovo Y570 (BIOS 2.12)

Intel i7-2670QM

Samsung 8GB DDR3

Intel 525 120GB

Hitachi Travelstar 1TB

Intel Centrino 6205

Windows 8.1 with Update 1

• 3. Re: Windows 8.1 Update 1 and Flash Video Stutters on Intel HD 3000
              kevin_intel

Hi Nemix,

Based on your description, the update of the Operating System is causing these problems. At this point, I recommend you contacting Lenovo to get their special drivers since our drivers are generic ones for your system.

Here you have some information about the Windows update:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/install-latest-update-windows-8-1