11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2014 3:23 PM by kosak2000

Frequent D54250WYK freezes

kosak2000

Hi,

When I have both of my 8G RAM modules plugged in, my NUC frequently freezes/hangs in a very characteristic way. But when I have either 8G module plugged in alone, the machine seems very stable (hasn't crashed yet).

I can even get the machine to crash just sitting in the BIOS ( !!! ), so this is not a driver or OS issue.

Here are two videos I took of the crashing. In both cases it was pretty warm in my apartment (~80 degrees F). In the second video I was able to get it to crash basically continuously.

1. In this YouTube video, I sit quietly doing nothing, with one of the BIOS screens open. The NUC freezes up at 4:09
      2. In this second YouTube video, I can make the BIOS freeze up five times in a row, in rapid succession.

You can see from the temperature figures in the BIOS screen that the NUC is not abnormally hot during these times.

As mentioned above, the big difference seems to be having both RAM modules installed at the same time. With either RAM module installed alone, the machine seems quite stable (I haven't been able to make it crash, even during stressful tests like the PassMark maximum CPU temp. test and 3D graphics test). So maybe the issue is something bad happens when the two modules when they're next to each other.

Any thoughts?

This is my exact configuration (The WiFi line is rather irrelevant, because I had it removed during the above tests)

Header 1Header 2
      Intel NUC D54250WYK1 Intel 4th Gen Core i5-4250U Processor with Power CordAmazon.com: Intel NUC D54250WYK1 Intel 4th Gen Core i5-4250U Processor with Power Cord: Computers & Accessories
      Crucial 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR3 1600 MT/s (PC3-12800) CL11 SODIMM 204-Pin 1.35V/1.5V Notebook Memory CT2KIT102464BF160B
      http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007B5S52C
      Crucial M550 256GB mSATA Internal Solid State Drive CT256M550SSD3Amazon.com: Crucial M550 256GB mSATA Internal Solid State Drive CT256M550SSD3: Computers & Accessories
      ( Intel Network 7260.HMWG WiFi Wireless-AC 7260 H/T Dual Band 2x2 AC+Bluetooth HMC ) - not relevant - it was removed during the above testsAmazon.com: Intel Network 7260.HMWG WiFi Wireless-AC 7260 H/T Dual Band 2x2 AC+Bluetooth HMC: Computers & Accessories
        • 1. Re: Frequent D54250WYK freezes
          allan_intel

Thanks for joining the NUC community. I am sorry to hear that have had issues with your computer.

At this point, it looks like this is hardware issue. I recommend BIOS update to the latest version, please try 0025

Here is the link for BIOS download:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23697&lang=eng&OSVersion=%0A%09%09%09%09%09%09%09%09%0A%09%09%09%09%09%09%09&DownloadType=BIOS

If the problem remains, please contact Intel customer support for possible warranty options:

www.intel.com/chat

Allan.

• 2. Re: Frequent D54250WYK freezes
            kosak2000

Hi Allan,

Thank you for your response, but I'm already running BIOS version 25. (I know the camera is shaky but you can see the version number right on the screen, e.g. here: VID 20140517 143611556 - YouTube )

Any other ideas, or should I pursue warranty replacement at this point?

• 3. Re: Frequent D54250WYK freezes
              dougho

I am not from Intel but I own a D54250WYK and a D54250WYKH.  I sometimes notice messages about memory compatibility issues, and I have purchased memory myself which does not work.  I could be wrong but an issue seems to be that the NUC only works with certain memory densities.  The store web page you point to shows a picture with four memory chips on one side of SO-DIMM (presumably there are an additional four on the other side) and text that says 1024Meg x 64 (bit?).  Intel's Supported Memory Configurations page does not list this density.  Intel lists a density of 512M x 8 (byte?) per side (16 memory devices per SO-DIMM).

• 4. Re: Frequent D54250WYK freezes
                kosak2000

Thanks dougho. Are you referring to this page? I freely admit I know very little about RAM.

Just doing basic pattern matching here, and looking down the table of parts which passed testing during development, I only see two 16G configurations (the Crucial-Ballistix BLS2K8G3N169ES4, CL9 ; and the Samsung M473B5273DH0-YK0, CL11).

Am I reading that table right, and would it be a pretty safe bet to order one of those two memories? If not, any suggestions about exactly which part to purchase for a 16G configuration? Thanks in advance :-)

• 5. Re: Frequent D54250WYK freezes
                  dougho

I am referring to that page, but I am not going to say anything is a safe bet (I've wasted money myself).  FYI, searching the web for your memory model but with the .M16FED added shows a picture with what appears to be double the number of chips.  The table may be too conservative (e.g., something different may work), or may have misleading info (e.g., your memory type listed on the customer reported).

• 6. Re: Re: Frequent D54250WYK freezes
                    kosak2000

Looks like the answer is that the Amazon image is just wrong. Here's a photo I took tonight of my actual RAM.

The good news: it has the 8 chips per side that you predicted.

The bad/mysterious news: it's not the CT102464BF160B that I ordered; instead Amazon seems to have sent me CT8G3S160BM.M16FED.

Whether this is a compatibility problem or not I'm not expert enough to say.

I've got some different RAM on order and I'm also borrowing a friend's RAM. I'll update the forum on whether these other chips seem more reliable in my system.

• 7. Re: Frequent D54250WYK freezes
                      Mr Harvey

Hi kosak2000,

I'm having similar issues as you described (described in another thread for the NUC and for 3496 graphics driver).

My HW setup is different compared to yours in terms of RAM and SSD (and I have the Intel AC-7260 WiFi/BT card). Monitor is wired to the mini DP port.

Sometimes (but with no discernible pattern), my NUC also crashes and freezes in BIOS, with a similar screen garbage/corruption as in your Youtube videos. Sometimes it crashes with screen garbage after powering up. After that NUC reboots automatically and then it is usually fine. I could not reproduce the problem, so far it appeared randomly.

Did you experience any such screen corruption or freezing in Windows or some other OS?

I have Win7 x64 and I've been experiencing the same freezing and screen corruption with the Intel video driver installed (drivers version 3412 or 3496). Again, I cannot reproduce the problem, i.e. trigger a specific action after which the screen will corrupt and the NUC will freeze, but it is definitely happening only when the Intel video driver is installed. If running only Microsoft standard VGA driver, the NUC can run for hours with no issues. Tried also Linux Mint 16 off the live USB distribution, same problem.

My memory is on the CMTL supported list for the NUC, Memtest has also run with no issues.

But having such problems in BIOS (and seeing that I am not the only one having this issue), might seem to point that either the BIOS is the problem, or perhaps the memory is incompatible...

One last thing - I experienced the same problem with BIOS 0018.

/HarveyV

• 8. Re: Frequent D54250WYK freezes
                        dougho

I have some unfortunate news for you.  See the characters *before* the dot on your memory model?  Here on Jan 24th, sylvia_intel said:

Guys the memory that was tested in our labs, but it did not pass was the Crucial CT8G3S160BM. It was already removed from the list.

The CT102464BF160B.M16FED will work fine in a NUC. It is compatible and it has been fully tested.

• 9. Re: Frequent D54250WYK freezes
                          kosak2000

That's not unfortunate news, that's great news! I've already arranged to return the CT8G3S160BM sent to me by mistake, and my replacement memory will arrive tonight. I'm very excited to test my system with this new memory. I'll let you all know how it goes, and thanks so much for your help!!!

• 10. Re: Frequent D54250WYK freezes
                            kosak2000

Hi Mr Harvey,

I am also running Win7 x64, and I have indeed seen it crash in Windows. PassMark's BurnInTest seems to be a pretty good way to get it to crash (e.g. in the 3D video test). I had the Intel video drivers installed (I'll check on the version number when I get home from work).

• 11. Re: Frequent D54250WYK freezes
                              kosak2000

Hi folks,

I thought I'd follow up to this thread to let you all know how things turned out.

I've been using my new RAM for a couple of weeks and the NUC has been working perfectly.

For the avoidance of doubt, this is the exact RAM I'm using: http://imgur.com/iPq69JQ

Thanks everyone for your help and feedback!