3 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2014 11:13 AM by sylvia_intel

Are there any Negative Consequences If the Intel MEI Driver is not Installed on a Stand-Alone Home Desktop?

Whisper2

I have a desktop with an i7 4770k mounted on a Gigabyte Z87 motherboard.  The system is totally for recreation and is not connected to a network. 

I have read about vPro and AMT and conclude I have no use for them at home and consequently I have no need for the MEI driver that enables them.

Are there any negatives to not installing the driver on my system?  I know the lack of the driver upsets Device Manager (Win 8.1 Pro) but that does not upset me and I can make it go away by disabling the Controller.

I have searched many tech forums and most seem to think that the driver should be installed -- but none have a reason other than the Device Manager exception.  

• 1. Re: Are there any Negative Consequences If the Intel MEI Driver is not Installed on a Stand-Alone Home Desktop?
          sylvia_intel

Hello Whisper2,   thanks for contacting us through the Intel Communities.

I would like to explain you that the Intel® Management Engine Interface offers special features that let the operating system interacting with the BIOS. The functionality of the board doesn’t depend on this feature but it is important to have it active so Windows will be able to detect all of the motherboard hardware properly.

If you install the Intel(R) Desktop Utilities, this software requires the Intel® Management Engine Interface driver to get the information from the bios.

What you can do is to install the Intel® Management Engine Interface driver and then disable the service that runs in at Windows start up. This is to prevent having the service coming up with messages about the Intel® Active Management Technology (AMT) status.

• 2. Re: Are there any Negative Consequences If the Intel MEI Driver is not Installed on a Stand-Alone Home Desktop?
            Whisper2

Hi Sylvia,

Thanks for your response.

You mention that the MEI helps Windows detect all the motherboard hardware properly.  I thought that was the function of the Intel Chipset Software (inf Update)?

Is there any information on the Intel website that covers the features of the MEI that relates to my questions and your answers?   Everything I found is related to business use and managing multiple machines.

• 3. Re: Are there any Negative Consequences If the Intel MEI Driver is not Installed on a Stand-Alone Home Desktop?
              sylvia_intel

Yes, you are right, all of the documentation that can be found about Intel® Management Engine Interface refers to its participation in Intel(R) vPro(TM) Technology ready systems which are used for remote access and control. The ME its key in that type of platforms, but not all of the motherboards have Intel® Active Management Technology (AMT) but most of motherboard based on Intel chipsets have Intel® Management Engine Interface and cannot be used as Intel(R) vPro(TM) Technology platforms.

In simple words, your system will run fine if you don't install the Intel® Management Engine Interface, but it won't hurt your system if you have it installed.