I am sorry to hear you are having problems with your system.
As you said, it is very strange this behavior but there is something I want you to check and try.
- Make sure there is a straight connection between the monitor and computer (no adapters).
- Try updating the BIOS update and installing the monitor drivers.
If you are still having problems, attach the graphics report here:
How to get it?
Graphics Report: Right click on desktop> Graphics Properties> Options> Drop down Menu> Information Center> Save> Open .txt file created> Copy/Paste here.
I have googled a bit more and found out that the problem is not connected to HD 4600 graphics chip, but rather with monitor. In particular, DELL U2713 accepts only 1920×1080 via HDMI. Unfortunately, I have only one option to connect PC to monitor and that is HDMI (there are no adapters involved).
There two posts:
say that there is a possibility to create custom resolution to make 2560×1440 working. However the screenshots are provided for older versions of the driver.
I have created a custom resolution via "Graphics Options" → "Custom Resolutions", but it is not activated or I haven't found a way to do this. Could you please help me to apply this my custom resolution?
Please note there are different HDMI cables and different type of quality. I recommend you getting an 1.4a HDMI cable so that you can get this specific resolution. Checking online it seems that this monitor does support the resolution you say but you need to have a good quality HDMI cable and play with the settings under the custommodeapp to get the resolution.
It is important to confirm with the monitor manufacture, as you mentioned before, if there is a limitation on HDMI resolutions for this device.
I have tried different HDMI cables (including 4K cable) with no effect.
I went to Graphics Options → Custom Resolutions and defined a custom resolution 2560×1440, 32 bit, 30p. I see it in the list, I cannot understand how to apply it.
When I input the necessary information in the dialog I see no attempt that driver tries to apply this resolution (e.g. flickering or something). How can I force the custom resolution? Could you please share step-by-step instruction?
Checking online some information I found that this specific monitor can output via HDMI a resolution of 192x1080 only due to an internal limitation of the HDMI port.
Here I have some posts from Dell Forums where a dell representative confirms this:
And this one:
Our controller do support 2560x1440 and the custommodeapp.exe provides the capability of creating custom resolutions but all this depends on the hardware capacity and in this case, this monitor is limited to a resolution for HDMI.
I am afraid to say that I do not have the step by step instructions in how to create custom resolutions since this is an optional feature for customers.
Finally I managed to go this.
- Download monitor drivers for Dell U2713HM. On default PnP monitor drivers custom resolution won't work. After installation the active driver should be Dell U2713HM (HDMI).
- On desktop Right mouse click → Graphics Options → Custom Resolutions, define 2560×1440, 32 bit, 30 Hz, CVT and click Add. Define the same but with 54 Hz, click Add
- On desktop Right mouse click → Graphics Properties.. and one can see the custom resolution 2560×1440 appeared in the list of available resolutions. First apply one for 30 Hz, then one for 54 Hz. Unfortunately applying 54 Hz first does not work: reports that resolution was applied, but monitor has not flickered.