8 Replies Latest reply on May 25, 2014 8:15 AM by Josh0031

Intel Galileo 2.0

AlexanderMerz

I came accross this article http://www.pcworld.com/article/2156820/next-version-of-intels-opensource-galileo-computer-plays-to-the-maker-scene.html

It looks like a new major revision of the Galileo is on the way and the revision seems to address some critical problems of the current design.

Does anybody have more information about the Galileo 2.0?

• 1. Re: Intel Galileo 2.0
          SpiderKenny

Thanks for the heads up on that. :-)

There may well be a Galileo '2.0' on the horizon, but if it only has PoE, improved PWM and faster GPIO as it's features then it's more of a Galileo '1.2' - however that suits me fine, like the blogger said, it's almost at the 'good enough' point like R-PI, so no major upgrade is required.

I can see how many users need faster gpio, it's probably the weakest part of the current Galileo, but if you use native linux code instead of Arduino it's not too much of an issue anyway.

Better PWM would be great.

• 2. Re: Intel Galileo 2.0
            dferyance

I am pretty excited by this. Even if they don't change much, it shows Intel hasn't given up on Galileo. After the news of Edison moving to Atom, and not any major updates to the software, I had guessed that Intel was done with the board.

Improving the IO makes a lot of sense. It wasn't too bad when using the native CPU pins, but the IO expander doesn't cut it. I also hope they can get the price down. I was able to get an ok price on the board by shopping around, but on some stores it is $80. This is pretty expensive compared to other similar boards. I would expect with Intel's size they should have been able to do better on pricing.

• 3. Re: Intel Galileo 2.0
              Clayton Hofrock

I assure you they are working on an update to the software. I have not heard a release date, but I know they are working on it.

Improving the I/O is critical in my opinion. There are several I2C devices that cannot be used with Galileo because the I/O speeds are too slow.

Edison moving to Atom will have it's advantages. One possible advantage would be power management. Right now the Galileo has no power management. It is running with everything on all the time. From what I have heard (and I am not an expert) is that enabling the power management on the Quark is difficult, and might be impossible (the details are confusing to me). The Atom family has several products that do very well with power management. So hopefully Edison will be able to leverage the previous work done by the other Atom products.

• 4. Re: Intel Galileo 2.0
                SpiderKenny

Power management shouldn't be that ******* Quark - it has dedicated IO lines for each power level from S0 to S5 (or so I am led to believe at least!)

Galileo does do a very rudimentary power management - if you ssh into the device and type 'poweroff' it actually shuts down completely - all LEDs off too.

• 5. Re: Intel Galileo 2.0
                  SpiderKenny

I have to laugh at last post - I typed "it shouldn't be that hard" followed by "on" and the bulletin stared it out.

• 6. Re: Intel Galileo 2.0
                    _

SpiderKenny++

• 7. Re: Intel Galileo 2.0
                      AlexanderMerz

Interesting news update:

While looking through the Release notes for the 1.0.1 BSP, the New Features section explicitly states "Adds support for Galileo Gen2 board". So something will happens in a foreseeable future.

• 8. Re: Intel Galileo 2.0
                        Josh0031

So the rumors are true! Well this would be good news indeed, especially if the I/O speed will be greatly improved! Please ship them out ASAP!