4 Replies Latest reply on May 24, 2014 2:54 AM by andysturrock

DQ77KB won't POST

andysturrock

I've just bought a DQ77KB, an i5-3470T and put them in an akasa euler case, with the intention of building a pfsense firewall/router.

I've powered the board using an HP laptop power supply, which has the right power spec (19.5V and 90W) and plug size.  When I plug the power in I can see the green standby LED light up (next to SATA 0 port).

When I hit the power button, the blue Intel Management Engine LED flashes very quickly, goes off for a second or two then goes on for around 5 seconds and then off again.

During this time I can hear a click of a relay, which is presumably the power supply turning on and off.

I've plugged headphones into the green socket but I can't hear any POST tones.  There is no output from the HDMI display.

I'm a bit stumped with what to try next.  Any ideas?  Should I just return the board?  I'm assuming that the board is the problem as I think if the processor and/or memory had a problem I would hear POST tones to indicate that.

Any help much appreciated!

• 1. Re: DQ77KB won't POST
          kevin_intel

Hello andysturrock,

I am sorry you are having this problem with the motherboard but let me help you.

I would like you to try some other steps based on your description:

1. Try clearing the CMOS of your motherboard by removing all components including the battery, power supply and memory.
          2. Try taking the board out of the chassis and use it in a non-conducted surface like wood or glass. We can discard grounding issues by doing this procedure.
          3. Test the unit with minimum configuration meaning 1 stick of RAM memory, no video cards, no audio cards, power supply.
          4. Try a different power supply.
          5. You can also try a different processor if possible.
          • 2. Re: DQ77KB won't POST
            andysturrock

Thanks for the reply.

OK I tried all those, including using a CPU from another box that I know works (I even checked it still works when I put it back in the old box).  I get exactly the same result with all.

The only thing I didn't confirm is that the new CPU works in the old box, but if the old CPU works in the old box I'm assuming it should work in the new box.

Any other diagnostics I can try?

• 3. Re: DQ77KB won't POST
              kevin_intel

Thanks for the information. It seems there is an issue with the processor based on the information you have provided and the steps done. It is not very common but it can happen so I recommend you contacting your Intel® local support for them to help you with the replacement of the unit.

You can also contact our chat support at the following link:

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/contactsupport

• 4. Re: DQ77KB won't POST
                andysturrock

OK for the sake of completeness I tried the new processor in my old machine.  It works fine - see below.  So it must be the board that is faulty so I will return that.

Thanks for the help.

cat /proc/cpuinfo

processor : 0

vendor_id : GenuineIntel

cpu family : 6

model : 58

model name : Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3470T CPU @ 2.90GHz

stepping : 9

microcode : 0x19

cpu MHz : 1614.937

cache size : 3072 KB

physical id : 0

siblings : 4

core id : 0

cpu cores : 2

apicid : 0

initial apicid : 0

fpu : yes

fpu_exception : yes

cpuid level : 13

wp : yes

flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov

pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx

rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology

nonstop_tsc aperfmperf eagerfpu pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx

smx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic popcnt

tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx f16c rdrand lahf_lm ida arat epb

xsaveopt pln pts dtherm tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid fsgsbase

smep erms

bogomips : 5818.89

clflush size : 64

cache_alignment : 64

address sizes : 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual

power management:

1 of 1 people found this helpful