5 Replies Latest reply on May 22, 2014 2:51 PM by sylvia_intel

Applying for warranty services - conditions?

sstbrg

Hi,

I'm about to purchase the i5 4670K CPU from a friend of mine who barely used it.

According to Intel's warranty website, this is the processor's data:

Product:BOXED INTEL® CORE™ I5-4670K PROCESSOR (6M CACHE, UP TO 3.80 GHZ) FC-LGA12C

FPO Number : L319B357

Estimated Warranty Expiration*: Aug 12,2017

Now, the problem here is that the box and the receipt (from the store where he bought the CPU) are long lost.

The CPU is currently stored in an antistatic case and that's about all we have here.

First of all, am I eligible for RMA at all? I mean, no box, no receipt, no certification and obviously no heatsink - just the CPU. Will Intel actually accept it?

If yes: I live in Israel, and I'd really like to know who should I contact in order to apply for warranty.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Applying for warranty services - conditions?
          sylvia_intel

Hello Sstbrg, thanks for contacting us through the Intel Communities.

All Intel products have 3 years of warranty from the date of purchase. In this case, since there is no receipt, the warranty period will chance.  We will need to use the FPO number as reference, so the warranty of the chip will be good until May, 2016.

The following URL will bring you the list of all our contact support team around the world.

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/contactsupport

The following URL will show you the list of all our contact support team around the world. However, it looks like you will have to contact a group on these countries in order to have support on your chip.

Country Telephone Number

Belgium      02 714 3182

Denmark     38 487077

Finland       9 693 79297

France        01 41 91 85 29

Germany     069 9509 6099

Holland       020 487 4562

Italy            02 696 33276

Norway       23 1620 50

Russia,      +7 495 6414607

Ukraine and other CIS countries 7 495 6428537

Spain                 91 377 8166

Sweden             08 445 1251

United Kingdom 0870 607 2439

• 2. Re: Applying for warranty services - conditions?
            sstbrg

Hello Sylvia, thank you for your reply.

Can you please take a look at the following e-mail and answer me this: what is the definition of "Proof of Purchase" ?

What's the meaning of "only the first buyer is covered by warranty"? I'm sorry but that doesn't sound serious at all.

I've clearly said that the only thing I have is the CPU chip itself and you're obviously strengthening my position by telling me that the warranty will hold until 2016 using the FPO only.

Other companies work this way, as far as I'm familiar with Intel, where people I know work, you aren't any different. That renders the e-mail below a riddle to me.

Regarding those countries, calling them will cost me a rather noticeable amount of money, since I don't live anywhere near them.

Is there an e-mail which I can write to in order to initiate an RMA process, instead of calling?

So this is the rather useless e-mail I'm speaking of:

support.replies@mailbox.intel.com

6:28 PM (4 hours ago)

to me

Dear Mr sstbrg,

Thank you for contacting Intel® Customer Support.

We have received your email and would advise you that only the first buyer is covered by warranty. Please for any future warranty we will request a Proof of Purchase. The original box is not required but recommended for shipping or packaging.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions.

Kind regards,

Intel Customer Support
            Americain    ~~START~~

A representative of Intel may subsequently contact you by email in order to obtain your feedback on the quality of the support you received.

Agent is under contract to Intel.

Intel will use your personal information solely for the purpose it was collected. We will not use your personal information for a different purpose without first asking your permission.  In order to fulfill the purpose, we may need to share your personal information within Intel Corporation, Intel subsidiaries worldwide, or with authorized third parties.

For more information on Intel's privacy practices, please see our privacy policy at:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/privacy/intel-online-privacy-notice-summary.html

Or you may write:  Intel Corporation, ATTN Privacy, Mailstop RNB4-145, 2200 Mission College Blvd., Santa Clara, CA 95054 USA

©Intel Corporation | Legal Information: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/legal/terms-of-use.html

Intel is a registered trademark of Intel Corporation or its subsidiaries in the United States and other countries. *Other names and brands may be claimed as the property of others.

*********************PLEASE DO NOT DELETE*********************
            Your service ticket reference number is:{ticketno:[8000921511]}
            You must include this text in any reply to this email. Thank you.
            *********************PLEASE DO NOT DELETE*********************

Original Text

To: rpd@FMRP0CI.FM.INTEL.COM <rpd@FMRP0CI.FM.INTEL.COM>
            CC:
            Sent: 05/16/14 03:48:18
            Subject: Intel(R)+Core(TM)+i5+Desktop+Processor Email Support Request

Hello,

I'm about to buy an Core i5 4670K processor from a friend of mine.

The problem is that he's lost the original box with the retailer's receipt, so basically he only has the processor chip, currently stored in an anti-ESD case. According to your website, using the chip's FPO which is L319B357 I was able to confirm that the processor has warranty until august 2017 (you may check that yourself).

My question is this: I live in Israel, and in case something happens to the processor, I'd like to know who to turn to in order to apply the warranty. I'm aware the Eastronics and Chayon are the distributors here in my country, should I turn to them or to Intel Israel? I really don't know. I don't want to buy a product when I've no idea how its warranty works.

Does a processor on its own is enough to get service under warranty from Intel?

I hope my questions are clear enough and if now please inform me.

Thankfully,

sstbrg

##ERIGNORE##

First_name: sstbrg

Last_name: sstbrg

Email: sstbrg

Customer_type: End User

Product: Intel(R)+Core(TM)+i5+Desktop+Processor

Product_id: 3425

Survey_opt_in: Yes

Motherboard:

Issue_type: Product Information

Bios_version:

sSpec:

Markings:

Processor_speed:

Alternative_contact:

Issue: Hello,

I'm about to buy an Core i5 4670K processor from a friend of mine.

The problem is that he's lost the original box with the retailer's receipt, so basically he only has the processor chip, currently stored in an anti-ESD case. According to your website, using the chip's FPO which is L319B357 I was able to confirm that the processor has warranty until august 2017 (you may check that yourself).

My question is this: I live in Israel, and in case something happens to the processor, I'd like to know who to turn to in order to apply the warranty. I'm aware the Eastronics and Chayon are the distributors here in my country, should I turn to them or to Intel Israel? I really don't know. I don't want to buy a product when I've no idea how its warranty works.

Does a processor on its own is enough to get service under warranty from Intel?

I hope my questions are clear enough and if now please inform me.

Thankfully,

sstbrg

did_you_try_web_first: Yes

region: geo#=EMEA

privacy_policy: AGREE

Form_id: 28

• 3. Re: Applying for warranty services - conditions?
              sylvia_intel

That information is correct. I’m sorry I did not mention that our warranty only extends to the original purchaser only.

• 4. Re: Applying for warranty services - conditions?
                sstbrg

Well, that's just ridiculous.

How exactly do you figure out whether I'm the original owner or not? You can in this case say that even an original buyer isn't covered!

If FPO isn't enough, why can't you say what is needed to initiate the RMA process?

Intel  - succeeds in lithography, but fails at costumer service!

• 5. Re: Applying for warranty services - conditions?
                  sylvia_intel

I’m really sorry Sstbrg, but that is the correct information. It’s certainly possible for customers who buy used processors to fool us.  We rely on the customer to understand and abide by warranty terms.

http://download.intel.com/support/processors/sb/english_3yr_warranty.pdf